WT or WT+ with a toddler

Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:56 am
Original Poster

WT or WT+ with a toddler

Now that I need to find three redemption seats at a time, I may have to give up on finding CW seats on both legs and resort to WT/WT+ for one leg of our trip.

On a night flight, my 2yr old son is bound to want to sleep across the seats so he can have his own 'lie-flat bed'. But the armrests in WT+ don't seem to come up, so the natural conclusion is that WT is better than WT+ for us (him) in this case.

Does this sound correct or am I missing something here? Have others been in the same situation?

Thanks
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:22 am

We used one of these in WTP and it worked a treat. 380 middle row with a two year old on his own flat bed between the two of us. Available online - “inflatable travel pillow”
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:28 am

I thought BA didn't allow those kinds of products?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Id be interested to find out with BA/AA allow these.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:48 am
Original Poster

That looks like it would be amazing for my son, but I'd be surprised if BA allowed this given the potential obstruction caused were there to be an emergency situation.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'm sure they're allowed (after take off/before pre-landing) and an older post from @bisonrav which may help but of course it would be good for confirmation/recent experiences/comments from a staffer perhaps as I can't see anything specific on ba.com so paging @MFCC @Can I help you??

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28970873-post7.html

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Mrs Bisonrav has confirmation from the BA twitter team that her inflatable "plane pal"* is fully legal on BA flights.

I've heard mixed reports about the bed box, and the cheapo Chinese inflatable on Amazon seems to be the wrong size. The proof of the pudding will be at 39000 feet somewhere between LHR and SIN when a young boy tries to get to sleep.

*This has nothing to do with that Sun story.
Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Dec 17, 2018 at 6:54 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Interesting... do they fit between WT seats (as well as WT+ seats) ?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:13 am

Last used in Feb.
The Crew mentioned that they see these pillows quite a lot now. I think I got the idea from bisonrav's post but am not sure whether BA have recently changed their position regarding the use of these.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sorry these are not allowed.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The official line seems to be that they're not allowed, but it's probably way down the list of things that would be checked on, if in a window seat. We lent ours to a friend who used it on BA no trouble recently, obviously taking care that it was removed during takeoff and landing. We haven't used it for a while because since the GGL challenge we've been in lie flat beds for long haul. I don't think they would work at all in WT+ by the way, they're very much optimised to economy. And they do make a very comfortable bed for a toddler.

Note that in A380 WT cabins the armrests don't lift up the whole way (It's possible to sleep underneath them as they angle up).
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rajah

We used one of these in WTP and it worked a treat. 380 middle row with a two year old on his own flat bed between the two of us. Available online - “inflatable travel pillow”
Did you use this in WT or WTP?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Once again these are not permitted.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:10 am

We used this in WTP - as it can inflate to whatever degree you want it can squeeze in.
A shame if they are not allowed now but Rajah Jr is too big now anyway. Hey ho, the next treck to HKG in a few weeks is in J...

Last edited by Rajah; Dec 19, 2018 at 6:11 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Lucky you, I'm waiting for 3 seats in J to HKG at the moment. Loads seem quite light so fingers crossed.

The other thing is what's best when the flight is half full, and I suspect the answer would be WT as you can sleep across.

Of course, this problem will be solved if by some small chance I am able to get 3 SIN J flights back!

Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
3 Js trump an empty WT any day of the week assuming funds and seats are available ;-)

We're just going to hit this issue now with our little one. Have only done SH jaunts since he hit 2 but mulling a trip to Canada next year. I might just have to pay up...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.