First Class - not what I expected

Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

First Class - not what I expected

So this was only my second experience flying First. Previous flight LGW to BGI was brilliant absolutely no complaints.

Last weekend flying First from BGI to LGW was not exactly what I had expected ​​​. Not only was the FA in such a hurry to deliver the food she omitted my appetiser completely. I only realised this when I looked across at my husband’s meal. My choice of soup then arrived minus the bread roll but no big deal. During the main course the FA came along and apologised for not providing the roll but didn’t offer to get one. Probably shouldn’t have had it anyway after spending three weeks in the Caribbean. Didn’t have dessert as I chose to sleep.

So my complaint being the way breakfast was served (see photos below). I didn’t want a full breakfast just a cup of tea but same FA was thoughtful and produced two croissants. This is where she dumped it - on the side table. Returning later she apologised saying she should have opened up the table. Am I right in thinking service should have been better or was I expecting too much ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
You didn’t get a roll with your soup and your croissant was put on the side? I think you’ve had a good flight if that’s all you can complain(?) about 👌
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by lovetoholiday

So this was only my second experience flying First. Previous flight LGW to BGI was brilliant absolutely no complaints.

Last weekend flying First from BGI to LGW was not exactly what I had expected ​​​. Not only was the FA in such a hurry to deliver the food she omitted my appetiser completely. I only realised this when I looked across at my husband’s meal. My choice of soup then arrived minus the bread roll but no big deal. During the main course the FA came along and apologised for not providing the roll but didn’t offer to get one. Probably shouldn’t have had it anyway after spending three weeks in the Caribbean. Didn’t have dessert as I chose to sleep.

So my complaint being the way breakfast was served (see photos below). I didn’t want a full breakfast just a cup of tea but same FA was thoughtful and produced two croissants. This is where she dumped it - on the side table. Returning later she apologised saying she should have opened up the table. Am I right in thinking service should have been better or was I expecting too much ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

LGW F does seem to be somewhat subpar service wise based on reports on here, my one CW LGW flight was also somewhat lacking.

I suspect you (like me in CW I suspect) just got unlucky in this case, with poor/ inexperienced crew. The croissant thing is obviously the best of first world problems, the missing starter slightly less so
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It certainly doesn’t seem a polished service but I believe that these things should have been mentioned at the time.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Were you out of your seat at the time breakfast was served? If so, I would consider it entirely reasonable for it to be left on the side as you'd have to sit back down again. If you were in your seat then it's normal for cabin crew to ask you whether you want to use your table or not. Either way, I'm not sure this is worth complaining about?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
What's weird is that you had this FA who felt compelled to apologize repeatedly for it without ever actually addressing the problem .

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Dec 16, 2018 at 3:24 pm Reason: Remove personal insults to comply with rule 12
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:10 pm

If you want to be annoyed and even a little humiliated at the way BA serves breakfast, my experience in Y takes the cake.

Lying across an empty row of seats sleeping at the tail end of a JFK-LHR. Wake up to find my ‘breakfast’ has been unceremoniously dumped on ....me. I felt like some homeless person receiving the generosity of those more fortunate.
Tilly71, dougzz, kosy91 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by golfmad
Were you out of your seat at the time breakfast was served? If so, I would consider it entirely reasonable for it to be left on the side as you'd have to sit back down again. If you were in your seat then it's normal for cabin crew to ask you whether you want to use your table or not. Either way, I'm not sure this is worth complaining about?
I was thinking the same. If the OP wasn't in their seat then I see nothing wrong with it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It certainly doesn’t seem a polished service but I believe that these things should have been mentioned at the time.
Attention to detail is important although it's understandable some people feel awkward relating concerns. Discreetly letting the CC know at the time is the best option. At least a complaint can be recorded if further correspondence is necessary. It's a good start.
subject2load likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’d say you’ve called it right - on both counts. Much better to seek to address these issues at the time, as one should in a restaurant.

This, after all, is First Class and yet we do so often read reports of (or witness personally) significant disparity between promise and delivery.

BA themselves talk specifically about “onboard elegance” .....”the full restaurant experience”....... andimpeccable service and attention to detail”.
What the OP actually received seems some way from this.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Attention to detail is important although it's understandable some people feel awkward relating concerns. Discreetly letting the CC know at the time is the best option. At least a complaint can be recorded if further correspondence is necessary. It's a good start.
For the breakfast issue, I'd probably have simply asked the cabin crew member if they would give me a hand putting the table out at the time or as soon as I noticed it. They'd have probably got the message.

Having said that, I have actually had breakfast that way - they sometimes ask you if you prefer that if they see you doing things, although not had the napkin and cutlery placed on top of my things (they might end up slipping off onto the floor).

With the missing appetiser and the bread, I'd simply have asked for them. They do forget things from time to time - I had everything from the cutlery, soup, appetiser, puddings and all sorts missing on various different airlines (oh, even the main course once I think!) and if I got annoyed about them too much, I'd have shortened my life. I do complain later on it is it a silly pattern (e.g. I had my request for water forgotten multiple times on a JL flight - as in a reminder still got forgotten, along with other service issues and I did complain then, because prompt response at the time did not resolve anything) but generally, it's best to address it there and then.

Thing shouldn't be forgotten, but it happens! I tell myself I forget things all the time...
AnaTravel likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 16, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These are minor flaws, none of which are worthy of a complaint. They were best addressed on the spot:
1. Starter - When you order something and it does not arrive, either flag the FA down as she passes by, hit the call button, or forget it as you choose.
2. Bread roll - Same thing. When she apologized, the proper response was, "thank you for the apology, but I'll be fine having it now if you don't mind."

I am note certain I understand the croissant placement issue as it really is too minor to warrant anything as one ought to be fully capable of moving it oneself or, if not, ringing for the FA and asking her to move it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
These are minor flaws, none of which are worthy of a complaint. They were best addressed on the spot:
1. Starter - When you order something and it does not arrive, either flag the FA down as she passes by, hit the call button, or forget it as you choose.
2. Bread roll - Same thing. When she apologized, the proper response was, "thank you for the apology, but I'll be fine having it now if you don't mind."

I am note certain I understand the croissant placement issue as it really is too minor to warrant anything as one ought to be fully capable of moving it oneself or, if not, ringing for the FA and asking her to move it.
I do mostly agree that in an ideal world we'd all be fine asking for what we paid for but we shouldn't have to. On AA in ... peasant I mean business class ... I went to take a leak and my wine was topped up when I got back to my seat ... on BA first you get an apology for not getting something brought to you ... but they don't automatically go fkn fetch it? That seems ridiculous given the price difference tbh and I don't think I'd be in a good mood.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by redeyedonkey
I do mostly agree that in an ideal world we'd all be fine asking for what we paid for but we shouldn't have to.
However, in an ideal world cabin crew would also not be allowed to forget simple things. They are human too and no matter how experienced or professional they may be, they are naturally prone to occasional mistakes. It happens to the best of us. Likewise the crew are not mind readers. Unless told otherwise one would presume everything was fine. Hence why, even in First, it's important to tell those in charge of any issues at the time. Whilst I'm sympathetic to those that are not as comfortable in these situations, by not giving the crew an opportunity to correct an error (and ultimately getting the service you have paid for) you end up creating an unnecessary and avoidable complaint.

Edit: This is not to be taken as an attack on the OP. I'm simply just playing devil's advocate and giving the other side of the coin POV
redeyedonkey and HIDDY like this.

Last edited by Talking Penguin; Dec 16, 2018 at 4:23 pm Reason: Added note
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
For the breakfast issue, I'd probably have simply asked the cabin crew member if they would give me a hand putting the table out at the time or as soon as I noticed it. They'd have probably got the message.

Having said that, I have actually had breakfast that way - they sometimes ask you if you prefer that if they see you doing things, although not had the napkin and cutlery placed on top of my things (they might end up slipping off onto the floor).

With the missing appetiser and the bread, I'd simply have asked for them. They do forget things from time to time - I had everything from the cutlery, soup, appetiser, puddings and all sorts missing on various different airlines (oh, even the main course once I think!) and if I got annoyed about them too much, I'd have shortened my life. I do complain later on it is it a silly pattern (e.g. I had my request for water forgotten multiple times on a JL flight - as in a reminder still got forgotten, along with other service issues and I did complain then, because prompt response at the time did not resolve anything) but generally, it's best to address it there and then.
I sometimes skip breakfast in F and just have a pot of tea (which is occasionally placed on the side without anyone asking). I wouldn't hesitate to request for it to be moved if that concerned me. Addressing the issue there and then allows the team onboard to try and resolve concerns. It can often be the smallest details that disappoint passengers and the OP clearly felt irked by the standard of service. Sometimes people don't like to complain because it may spoil a treat for a travel companion. I absolutely agree that repeated patterns over service issues are worth pursuing. Tackling what you reasonably can aboard helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.