Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Call centre won't hold other OW carriers flights for redemptions any more

Call centre won't hold other OW carriers flights for redemptions any more

Reply

Old Dec 16, 18, 12:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAGGL, TK Elite, Accor Gold, Hilton Dia, IHG Plat
Posts: 890
Call centre won't hold other OW carriers flights for redemptions any more

Apologies if covered elsewhere (in which case feel free to merge), but I learned today that a very recent change in policy means that the call centres won't hold other carriers flights for Avios redemptions any more (previously it was 72 hours, although the carrier sometimes grabbed the seats back quicker!). Has anyone else come up against this? Thought it was worth reporting.

GGLs can book and then change/cancel for no penalty so apart from some extra admin not too much impact for that segment but mildly annoying. Think based on the agent's comment that a significant minority were holding multiple seats and this may have led to the clampdown.
Woodbinerich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 12:50 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,430
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich View Post
Apologies if covered elsewhere (in which case feel free to merge), but I learned today that a very recent change in policy means that the call centres won't hold other carriers flights for Avios redemptions any more (previously it was 72 hours, although the carrier sometimes grabbed the seats back quicker!). Has anyone else come up against this? Thought it was worth reporting.

GGLs can book and then change/cancel for no penalty so apart from some extra admin not too much impact for that segment but mildly annoying. Think based on the agent's comment that a significant minority were holding multiple seats and this may have led to the clampdown.
You shouldnt have ever able to hold any redemptions seats for 72 hours.
Anonba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 1:04 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAGGL, TK Elite, Accor Gold, Hilton Dia, IHG Plat
Posts: 890
Originally Posted by Anonba View Post


You shouldnt have ever able to hold any redemptions seats for 72 hours.
OK thanks. What was it before officially then? Or is the above i mentioned not a change at all!
Woodbinerich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 1:36 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,430
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich View Post
OK thanks. What was it before officially then? Or is the above i mentioned not a change at all!
Hold booking for a fee wasnt allowed on redemptions and agents were never allowed to hold unticketed availability for 72 hours. So no change in policy!
Often1 likes this.
Anonba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 1:40 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 39,719
It was the same for any interline booking. Positive space is either booked and, if confirmed, ticketed within the time limit prescribed by the interline agreement, generally 24 hours. While agents may have thought they were holding space and it may have worked because the problems only arise if the offline carrier won't later ticket, they were not.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 7:37 pm
  #6  
amt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: HKG
Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Posts: 497
Never tried it on BA...

AAdvantage will hold redemptions on other OW carriers, no fee for a period, usually 4-6hrs. They’ll even give you a record locator and you can view the booking on hold.
amt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 8:56 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 20,590
Originally Posted by amt View Post
Never tried it on BA...

AAdvantage will hold redemptions on other OW carriers, no fee for a period, usually 4-6hrs. They’ll even give you a record locator and you can view the booking on hold.
The AAdvantage hold policy is a lot more generous than that, at least for most partners. From aa.com:

"How long can I hold my AAdvantage award reservation?

The time we'll hold an award reservation depends on how many days before departure you book:
  • 5 days: When you book 15 –331 days before departure
    • 1 day: When you book 1–14 days before departure
      • Up to 2 hours before departure: When you book within 24 hours of departure

Keep in mind, certain special awards and awards that include certain airline partners may have shorter hold times."
guv1976 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 18, 1:53 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glasgow / London
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,301
For the uninitiated, holding redemption seats via BA for up to 72 hours is a GGL benefit and one that is not available to other tiers.
Filthy Monkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 18, 2:48 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAGGL, TK Elite, Accor Gold, Hilton Dia, IHG Plat
Posts: 890
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
For the uninitiated, holding redemption seats via BA for up to 72 hours is a GGL benefit and one that is not available to other tiers.
Right. So that was my previous experience. So I think the point is that the staff will still do this for BA redemptions but not for partners anymore.
Woodbinerich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 18, 2:53 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 24,721
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
For the uninitiated, holding redemption seats via BA for up to 72 hours is a GGL benefit and one that is not available to other tiers.
As you can cancel reward flights at no cost as a GGL, practically speaking what’s the benefit of holding rather than just booking and cancelling later if not needed?
KARFA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:31 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glasgow / London
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,301
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post


As you can cancel reward flights at no cost as a GGL, practically speaking what’s the benefit of holding rather than just booking and cancelling later if not needed?
You know I hate to see my Avios balance decrease!!
KARFA likes this.
Filthy Monkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 18, 4:55 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BHX
Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Posts: 6,176
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post


As you can cancel reward flights at no cost as a GGL, practically speaking what’s the benefit of holding rather than just booking and cancelling later if not needed?
Recently I made a booking and wasn't entirely sure which day I'd need to fly (one of two possible days). There was availability on both days (but not a lot else on the route on other dates) so they held both as separate bookings and I confirmed the one I needed about 48 hours later.

Of course I could have booked both and refunded one, but had I not had the Avios balance available for that the hold would have been even more valuable.

A niche example, though.
KARFA likes this.
Wozza2404 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread