Search

Adding a booking to two existing bookings

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
Adding a booking to two existing bookings

Apologies if this is a little complicated. I have:
  • an outbound flown NYC->ZRH return, with the return flight from ZRH to JFK via LHR in CW on Mon 28 Jan 2019, booked in J (ZRH->LHR) and D (LHR->JFK) endorsed "Pax 051130/l/ggairbagpus -bg:ba" (*)
  • another return NYC->ZRH, with the outbound NYC to ZRH via LHR in CW on Fri 01 Feb 2019, booked in I (JFK->LHR) and J (LHR->ZRH) endorsed "Pax nonref/restrictions apply -bg:ba", with a return on Mon 24 Jun booked in J (ZRH->LHR) and I (LHR->JFK)
As you can see this has me in NYC from Mon 28 Jan 2019 until Fri 01 Feb 2019, which would would be perfect save for the fact I now have to be in SFO/SJC for much of that week - specifically from about 9am on the Tuesday to 5pm on the Thursday . For reasons to do with wanting to hit 5,000 TP this year, one way to fix this would be to fly JFK->SFO in F on AA on the Monday, returning late on Thu evening or early on Friday morning. The easy way to do this would be to buy a separate ticket, which is currently looking like Ł2,400-ish.

However, certainly for the LHR->NYC->SFO bit on the Monday, I'd prefer to be on the same ticket. There's a convenient 18:30 out of JFK direct to SFO, and given my LHR->SFO arrives at 16:10, even with hand baggage only and Global Entry I'm not sure I want to do that on two tickets with a T7->T8 terminal change. So I'm wondering whether I might be better changing my flight to JFK to go ZRH->LHR->JFK->SFO (i.e. keeping JFK in there for the TP), possibly adding on the SFO->JFK flight on the Thursday / Fri AM as well. Am I likely to be able to do this more economically? I'm also (TP hungry) considering upgrading LHR->JFK to F (though that's normally far cheaper by AUP) if that helps.

Just to repeat: no checked bags.

(*) I will from now on refer to BA as "Air Bagpus"

Last edited by abligh; Dec 16, 2018 at 7:09 am
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To answer your broader question, the answer is "no". As to the specific, the answer is that it doesn't matter. You will be protected in any event.

First, "bookings" are irrelevant. It is tickets that matter or to be precise, e-tickets. While multiple tickets may be issued into a single PNR, tickets cannot be added to a PNR (other than in extraordinarily limited circumstances such as an infant). But, it would not matter if they were.

Second, AA unlike almost all carriers, protects on OW-AA transfers between tickets so long as the MCT is met had the transfer been booked as a connection. In your case, your transfer time at JFK is above MCT. Thus, if you are delayed into JFK or problems occur at CBP, you would speak with an AA agent at JFK (this is all handled at the airport). It is best to have a printed copy of your BA e-ticket receipt for the agent, but it can be located electronically in a pinch. This is contrary to the general convention that the late delivering carrier, e.g. BA has the responsibility to rebook.

Do note that your rebooking will not be covered under EC 261/2004. Thus, if you are stuck at JFK overnight, the hotel is your responsibility and you will not be due any delay compensation based on arrival time at SFO (arrival time will be measured at JFK).

With that minor risk, e.g. picking up a cheap airport motel in the limited circumstance of a delay causing an overnight, there is no reason to fret about booking separate tickets.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
To answer your broader question, the answer is "no". As to the specific, the answer is that it doesn't matter. You will be protected in any event.

First, "bookings" are irrelevant. It is tickets that matter or to be precise, e-tickets. While multiple tickets may be issued into a single PNR, tickets cannot be added to a PNR (other than in extraordinarily limited circumstances such as an infant). But, it would not matter if they were.

Second, AA unlike almost all carriers, protects on OW-AA transfers between tickets so long as the MCT is met had the transfer been booked as a connection. In your case, your transfer time at JFK is above MCT. Thus, if you are delayed into JFK or problems occur at CBP, you would speak with an AA agent at JFK (this is all handled at the airport). It is best to have a printed copy of your BA e-ticket receipt for the agent, but it can be located electronically in a pinch. This is contrary to the general convention that the late delivering carrier, e.g. BA has the responsibility to rebook.

Do note that your rebooking will not be covered under EC 261/2004. Thus, if you are stuck at JFK overnight, the hotel is your responsibility and you will not be due any delay compensation based on arrival time at SFO (arrival time will be measured at JFK).

With that minor risk, e.g. picking up a cheap airport motel in the limited circumstance of a delay causing an overnight, there is no reason to fret about booking separate tickets.
Sorry, I was being insufficiently precise. I was not talking about attaching a second ticket to the first ticket's PNR, but amending the existing part flown ticket (and hence PNR) by adding extra segments. Thanks for the info re protecting the change. I guess the only reason to do this would be if it were cheaper.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:48 pm
Suspended

You may change your existing ticket depending on its existing fare rules. Without reading those rules in detail, it is impossible to say whether it makes sense. But, the sole reason to do this is if it is cheaper than keeping what you have now and simply purchasing a new AA domestic ticket.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
You may change your existing ticket depending on its existing fare rules. Without reading those rules in detail, it is impossible to say whether it makes sense. But, the sole reason to do this is if it is cheaper than keeping what you have now and simply purchasing a new AA domestic ticket.
Thanks. How do I find the fare rules from MMB? I posted fare class and an incomprehensible set of endorsements.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Easiest to simply call BA and ask for a price on what you want to do. It is highly unlikely to be cheaper than the roughly Ł1,600 ($2,000) for which you may purchase a round-trip JFK-SFO in F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.