Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Don't take long cables (over 1m) to Dubai with BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:26 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....

Apparently (according to security in Dubai) you can't take an extension lead or any other cable on a BA flight that is over 1m in length.

Mine was taken from me in Dubai. 1m is the longest any cable can be, I was told.

Even my Mac power lead was too long, but I managed to keep this!

Never had this problem flying with Emirates - but that is a different terminal, so maybe an issue with BA's terminal in Dubai.

Can't say I have ever had an issue anywhere else in the world and I often have HDMI cables etc.

The sheet of banned items at Dubai simply said power leads for personal use were fine. No length was mentioned.

Just a heads up......
20Rothmans and T8191 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Thank you for this important information. I have a couple of long cables that would fall foul of this.

I travelled everywhere with my trusty 1 1/2" Swiss Army knife until it was seized leaving HKG. This was doubleplus ungood as it was branded from a former employer (now defunct) and therefore irreplaceable.

This is why I don't take a DuPont lighter with me.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Apparently (according to security in Dubai) you can't take an extension lead or any other cable on a BA flight that is over 1m in length.

Mine was taken from me in Dubai. 1m is the longest any cable can be, I was told.

Even my Mac power lead was too long, but I managed to keep this!

Never had this problem flying with Emirates - but that is a different terminal, so maybe an issue with BA's terminal in Dubai.

Can't say I have ever had an issue anywhere else in the world and I often have HDMI cables etc.

The sheet of banned items at Dubai simply said power leads for personal use were fine. No length was mentioned.

Just a heads up......
Presume this is carry-on only?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
Originally Posted by 20Rothmans
Thank you for this important information. I have a couple of long cables that would fall foul of this.

I travelled everywhere with my trusty 1 1/2" Swiss Army knife until it was seized leaving HKG. This was doubleplus ungood as it was branded from a former employer (now defunct) and therefore irreplaceable.

This is why I don't take a DuPont lighter with me.
Carry-on I guess? If so I’m curious why you’d want to carry that (even if allowed), all it takes is one security person to take a dislike and it’s gone.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:53 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sahajesh

Presume this is carry-on only?
yes, I guess no issues packing them in the hold.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Yet another reason for me never to visit or transit through Dubai again.

Honestly I have really hated it each time I've been there. It's not the UAE as a whole I have a downer on - loved my trips to Abu Dhabi and Muscat and would go back to either in a heartbeat... but I just find the whole Dubai experience underwhelming and the flights seem to have a higher than usual DYKWIA count
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:08 am

Sounds like you were unlucky. Have been through there about 20x this year and never an issue. I have cables more than that in my briefcase.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC
I came through Dubai a few weeks ago with a 5m HDMI cable in my handcarry. I even got it out from my bag and separated it with my laptop, power bank and bag of other cables and adapters at security and nothing was said, didn't even get nominated for secondary security.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I've definitely done that terminal with a 2m phone cable before. How weird .
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:25 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
It sounds like they just wanted it...I had an empty company water bottle confiscated at security two weeks ago at T1...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:30 am

What on earth is the supposed “security reason”? Dumbfounded.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that you can strangle someone with only one foot of a rope or cable.
BA5E likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by GentleGiant

Mine was taken from me in Dubai.
Just for clarification, where exactly was the cable confiscated ? Arriving or departing ?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:50 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just for clarification, where exactly was the cable confiscated ? Arriving or departing ?
Departing. They were quite adamant that 1m was the longest you could have.

The supervisor backed up the officer's decision and said this was the law.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:59 am

Sorry to hear this @GentleGiant. Thanks for flagging this up as a potential issue - though the inconsistency that others are reporting in relation to this doesn’t help with planning!

I usually carry a 2m Anker-branded cable for my phone, as there are still far too many hotels where there isn’t a convenient plug near the bedside table - and I use my phone as my alarm clock.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.