Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Don't take long cables (over 1m) to Dubai with BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't take long cables (over 1m) to Dubai with BA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by dddc
This was on QF heading to London. So glad they don't fly through there anymore.
It's a QF thing.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Grace B
It's a QF thing.
Would have been nice to have know before. So many minor variations as to what some ports let you take through and others don't. Would it be too hard to send a list to pax based on their itinerary? Ot even just links to the port's policy.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
Reminds me of the time a few years ago that security at Newquay airport relieved my then eight-year-old of the small kite (no rigid spars) that he had in his backpack. He was not impressed. The very nice security staff were adamant that it was a recognised risk. At the time I did comment quietly to my wife that the power cord in my laptop back probably presented more of a threat.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have had similar in Dubai, but it was a long time ago. Female security officer wanted to confiscate a network cable for the same "security" reasons but when I said I was flying BA to LHR it was no longer a risk. Go figure!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by squawk
Sorry to hear this @GentleGiant. there are still far too many hotels where there isn’t a convenient plug near the bedside table
This is a formal international standard of hotel design: "Nearest use-able socket must be no less than 1.5m from bedside cabinet"
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
This is a formal international standard of hotel design: "Nearest use-able socket must be no less than 1.5m from bedside cabinet"
And a lamp or TV must be plugged into the socket, which housekeeping will make sure is plugged in properly each day during room cleaning.

Someone up-thread said that "personal" cables were okay. Which is likely why the macbook charger cable was allowed?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:51 am

Not long after 9/11 when they introduced thousands of highly untrained homeland security people into US airports at short notice I had my highly dangerous Mont Blanc pen removed as a security risk - fortunately the wise old sage of a police officer keeping an eye on the new guys wandered over , relieved the security guy of my pen and handed it back to me.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:27 am

This kind of thing has happened to people I know going through transit at DXB. One time it was AA batteries. They were told they "could only have so many in hand baggage"

A similar thing has happened at IST too.

Unlucky to the OP. Sadly this is the kind of thing that happens at DXB, DOH, AUH and IST from "security" from time to time, one could make a wild accusation that these items end up with relatives or sold on in local shops, but I have no proof of that...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that you can strangle someone with only one foot of a rope or cable.
Piano Wire is more effective.......

(so I am told)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.