Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

25 Hrs TLS-DUB, Wheelchairs and G-NEOR Missing Crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold

On Friday 14th Dec I should have had a simple TLS-LHR-DUB trip leaving TLS at 5.05pm and arriving into DUB at 10.40pm on BA379/BA824. So that’s a 6hr 35 min journey. Things did not transpire that way and eventually I arrived back in DUB on Saturday 15th Dec at 5.40pm with a delay of 19 hrs.So what went wrong.

Part 1- After finishing work in downtown Toulouse I headed to the airport early arriving at around 3.00pm. Arrived at the departure gate after a leisurely lunch at around 4.15 and checked to see if the outbound flight was on-time and was happy to see that BA378 was indeed en-route and on time and descending towards TLS.
Next an announcement on the PA advising that due to a yellow vest motorised wheelchair protest the airport was closed. (You couldn’t make this up!) As time went on I watched BA378 firstly in a hold pattern in TLS and then heading back up the North West coast of France as it returned to LHR.
The airport reopened after about 1-1.5 hrs and I waited for the official cancellation on the app so that I could proceed to rebook. After this happened I rang BA and was efficiently rebooked on the Saturday 15
th BA377 at 8.00am and BA834 to Dublin.

Ok so these things happen and booked in to the NH hotel next to the airport and was happy that I was rebooked due to arrive back in Dublin 12.20 on Sat. I checked that evening to see if the incoming flight BA376(A321) was indeed on time so I went to bed happy that my plane home was parked at the departure gate for the morning.

Part 2- So part one is an unusual (Wheelchairs) but not an uncommon event so what else could go wrong.I arrived back at the departure gate at around 7.15 the next morning to see all the expected normal activity. While I sat down and waited I watched the flight and cabin crew arrive and board the plane. Through the window I could see the cabin crew taking their seats and as daylight arrived noticed the winglets which meant that I was due to fly home on G-NEOR which was a nice surprise.
Again time went by and by around 8.30am I started to get the feeling that something was not quite right. Looked at the app and again and noticed that the new delayed departure time was 11.20? Aircraft tech, More protests, ATC limitation, LHR Weather?No! Shortly after an announcement by the GA and then by one of the BA flight crew who had come back up to the gate. There were not enough cabin crew to allow the flight to depart and extra cabin crew were being flown out on BA372 so that the minimum legal crew levels could be met. (You couldn’t make this up either!)

How could this happen and not be noticed until boarding time? Totally bizarre and in explicable! Has the NEO different crewing levels to the CEO and somebody in planning hadn’t noticed? Very hard to understand how this could arise.Rang BA and changed my LHR-DUB connection to BA826 which was the earliest I could get based on the revised arrival time which was then of course delayed also to cap off a frustrating day.

On aside the NEO was a very quiet plane with cabin noise levels significantly lower than the 320/321 CEO’s. I had no problem with the seat hardness and found the front exit row very comfortable for the TLS-LHR sector despite being sat on it for around 2.5 hrs.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:58 am

This is what happens when BA operate same aircraft with differant number of seats. I presume the densified A321 requires more crew than the normal. BA sent the number of crew required for the nightstop, then did an aircraft swap and were caught with there trousers down with not enough at TLS.

I am surprised we have not seen more of this on here.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:45 am

The 321CEO/NEO requires no more crew than the old config 321s but they do require more crew than a 320 or 319. It’s possible the original flight the crew were to operate was on one of these.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:17 am

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...htId=983256465

suggests there was a last minute change from a A319 to an A321, either to facilitate the rebookings required from the cancellation or perhaps to cover a tech aircraft. Seems though that no one then thought about the impact of the morning rotation as there would only have been 3 or 4 cabin crew downroute rested to bring the flight back.

Bit surprising as this must be a common consideration when upgrading an Airbus flight at the last minute
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:24 am

The real question is are u owed some EC261 money?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
The real question is are u owed some EC261 money?
i would say yes as there were insufficient crew to operate the A321 which caused the delay for. 1220 to evening, the yellow vest cancellation would require duty of care only.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...htId=983256465

suggests there was a last minute change from a A319 to an A321, either to facilitate the rebookings required from the cancellation or perhaps to cover a tech aircraft. Seems though that no one then thought about the impact of the morning rotation as there would only have been 3 or 4 cabin crew downroute rested to bring the flight back.

Bit surprising as this must be a common consideration when upgrading an Airbus flight at the last minute
Yes I guess this is what happened but what is even more surprising is that nobody in BA seemed to be aware of this until the crew arrived on the plane. Being advised of the late departure proactively the night before would have at least allowed a leisurely morning and breakfast in the hotel rather than spending 3 hrs in a very uninspiring TLS airport.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

i would say yes as there were insufficient crew to operate the A321 which caused the delay for. 1220 to evening, the yellow vest cancellation would require duty of care only.
Yes that's exactly how I would read it. I will submit the claim in the next few days.
KeaneJohn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.