No ESTA - yes I do!

Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by danielonn
Unless its an emergency then apply before departure otherwise its best to always have an active ESTA applicaiton on file even if you are not planning nay US travel within the near future. Why? What if you were diverted to a US airport and were told that there are no flights for three days? With ESTA you can leave the airport and go to a hotel. Without it you would be stuck in an "in transit" lounge.
yes of course it is always best to apply in good time but for some people thats just not possible.

there was someone here not long ago who lost their passport a couple of days before their flight so needed a new one and was flying to the US so needed an ESTA. They wouldnt have been able to fly if there was an absolute bar on t-72 hours applications.

Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Inc Amb
The vast majority of ESTA applications are done instantly. It can take up to 72 hours and that is why they advise giving at least that amount of time between application and travel.

Behind the scenes the TSA / DHS are doing some very clever mathematics with your application. They do similar modelling every time you travel to the US to calculate the probability you pose a security or immigration risk to the country. I was on a flight back from the US two weeks ago and onboard were a couple who, despite having used their ESTA a few times before, were refused entry the same day they were returned. Why? Who knows, but having strange open jaws going back from Canada can't have helped.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Blue
The ESTA approval process is changing soon and this will remove instant approvals of ESTA applications. Certainly if one discovers in the airport, say one or two hours before check-in closes, that they have no ESTA then it is very unlikely they will travel on that flight as the approval process will not be completed in time.

CBP press release, 11 December 2018: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-reminds-travelers-allow-72-hours-esta
Due to changes in ESTA application processing, real-time approvals will no longer be available. Citizens of participating Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries traveling to the United States are strongly encouraged to apply for an ESTA at the time of booking their trip and no later than 72 hours prior to departure. Applicants who apply on the same day of their flight’s departure risk not having an approved ESTA prior to their scheduled departure. International travelers without an approved ESTA will not be authorized to board their flight.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Resurrecting this thread as I am flying to USA tomorrow but am getting a message that "US advises that no travel authorisation for the passport can be found". This is despite me having a current ESTA which I used last month flying from YVR to DFW.

Has anything changed since corporate-wage-slave 's advice of 15 December 2018? Should I just apply for another ESTA and hope it clears in time?

Last edited by CoweyB; Sep 5, 2022 at 6:06 am
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by CoweyB
Resurrecting this thread as I am flying to USA tomorrow but am getting a message that "US advises that no travel authorisation for the passport can be found". This is despite me having a current ESTA which I used last month flying from YVR to DFW.

Has anything changed since corporate-wage-slave 's advice of 15 December 2018? Should I just apply for another ESTA and hope it clears in time?
Wasn't even aware that BA can see the information.

If you have a valid ESTA you ought to be fine.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
In terms of current processing times, I applied for an ESTA at 08.31 this morning and received the Status Change email at 09.42.

Last edited by Newly Wed; Sep 5, 2022 at 6:58 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

That was in a different context where ESTAs were being cancelled - whereas you used the ESTA quite recently, albeit on pre-clearance. It probably just means the autoamatic looping software isn't finding you for some reason. If your ESTA is valid according to the CBP's online checker, I would print that out and bring it to the airport.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)

Can you verify on the ESTA website that it says Travel Authorized?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Wasn't even aware that BA can see the information.
They have to be able to see it, so that they know whether the passenger can be boarded.
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
If you have a valid ESTA you ought to be fine.
Indeed, although it would be advisable to arrive in good time and with a print out of the ESTA confirmation.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Thanks for the advice. I see I forgot to mention in my original post that I had Airportr coming to collect the bag at 13:15. I rang BA but as it was a BA holiday, India transferred me to BAH and after 50 mins I managed to speak to someone. They in turn spoke to their supervisor but the advice came back that it would have to be sorted at the Airport. It was by now around 12:50, Airportr arrived at 13:22 but I had to send them on their way as I had no boarding pass. It wasnt possible to get a refund of the 38 from Airportr for taking the bag.

i was due to stay at the Premier Inn T5 this evening but I brought that forward and went to the First Wing in case I had to apply for a new ESTA. She swiped my passport and said she couldnt find a booking for me but she was looking for flights today but I was able to breathe again when she said shed found the booking for tomorrow. I explained that I was unable to check in online and that Id received a message that said in effect that I had no ESTA.

She looked at me a bit askance and said she couldnt understand why, as there were no problems that she could see and then handed me my boarding pass. As it was about 16:15 there was no problem with them taking my bag for the hold.

Well done BA for your great IT.

I took a screenshot of the message and will see if they will refund me the cost of 38 after my holiday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.