Wiki Posts
Search

Boxes allowed as checked luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Boxes allowed as checked luggage?

Will be turning silver on Wednesday! (When QR posts flights)

In January I will be travelling from LHR-NBO and have quite a lot of items to take to NBO, as I will be silver I will get 2 x 32kg even if I’m travelling economy.

I have googled around and saw max dimensions for checked in luggage are: 90 x 75 x 43cm . Does anybody know if these can be cardboard boxes?

Has anybody travelled with cardboard boxes before? I will shrink wrap them. Not used to checking in luggage at all so any advice will be grateful.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Won’t be a problem. People check in boxes all the time.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:15 am
Original Poster

I have just seen this on BA’s website
  • You can take larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. If the bag weighs more than your allowance, you will be charged extra at the airport. No bag can weigh more than 32kg. Any items larger than the above dimensions will require shipping as cargo.
Is there an extra charge for this size? Or would this be included in silver status?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Are you sure about he 32kg, I may be wrong but I think in economy the weight is still 23kg.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Are you sure about he 32kg, I may be wrong but I think in economy the weight is still 23kg.
32kg for Silver and above and OWS/OWE.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:55 am

I believe that the 32kg is an absolute limit
Anyone can take up to this amount; but if your free allowance is only 23kg, you will have to pay for the extra 9kg.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
If you are Silver or above your baggage is 2 pieces at 32kg's.

Boxes are OK. I have done this previously with a box instead of a new suitcase.
nancypants and djtriggz like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:02 am

Just a further note about boxes. I have done this often, especially when returning from the US with things I've bought. I quite often buy snacks, sauces, wine, etc. Put these in your suitcase and I can almost guarantee that the US authorities will open your suitcase and take a look. And damage the suitcase in the process, for which you have no redress. Put this stuff in a box and - who cares! If they open it, they just tape it up again and you will throw the box away anyway once you get home.

All this works best if you are not relying on public transport at either airport. And it is inconvenient loading a box onto the Hertz shuttle when you've dropped off a hire car.
Keystone, 20Rothmans and djtriggz like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Just bear in mind that if your box is damaged, BA may not be so willing to compensate you as it would if your suitcase was damaged.
​​​​​​
Cardboard boxes are not designed to run down airport conveyors, through x-rays and other security screening apparatus and then be loaded in ULDs or as bulk.

So if your box gets torn as it trundles down a conveyor and your items spill out, BA may not pay out if you then try and open a Damaged Property Report (DPR) and may try and say that a cardboard box is unsatisfactory as baggage.

That said, I have travelled numerous times on BA and other airlines with boxes without problem but one should try and ensure they are sturdy and shrink wrapped to survive the journey.

​​Routes into Africa often see many pax checking in poorly prepared boxes or very cheap disposable bags and then getting upset when their baggage arrives damaged!
djtriggz and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by djtriggz

I have just seen this on BA’s website
  • You can take larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. If the bag weighs more than your allowance, you will be charged extra at the airport. No bag can weigh more than 32kg. Any items larger than the above dimensions will require shipping as cargo.
Is there an extra charge for this size? Or would this be included in silver status?
There is no extra charge for this size, and it’s independent of status. For these oversized items you must drop them at the oversize baggage area (though at First Wing they sometimes send a person with a trolley to deal with it for you.)

I have carried many oversized boxes whilst furnishing a home in Africa and all have been straightforward, and have not incurred any extra charge. Often just tape my eBay purchase boxes together into one big Franken-box which fits within the rules, job done.

For extra convenience, note that AirPortr also accepts oversized items when travelling BA. I have travelled with boxes this way often, without having to schlep the boxes to Heathrow.

djtriggz likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses received.

Im planning on getting 2 of these boxes. It’s 2cm larger than what’s permitted. Have they ever measured a suitcase/box??

Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by oxent
Just a further note about boxes. I have done this often, especially when returning from the US with things I've bought. I quite often buy snacks, sauces, wine, etc. Put these in your suitcase and I can almost guarantee that the US authorities will open your suitcase and take a look. And damage the suitcase in the process, for which you have no redress. Put this stuff in a box and - who cares! If they open it, they just tape it up again and you will throw the box away anyway once you get home.

All this works best if you are not relying on public transport at either airport. And it is inconvenient loading a box onto the Hertz shuttle when you've dropped off a hire car.
Why would they damage the box? As an expat, I regularly bring food when I come back to the US and I ferry books and other things back and forth. As a result, my bags are always opened, without any issues.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:41 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by djtriggz
Thank you for all the responses received.

Im planning on getting 2 of these boxes. It’s 2cm larger than what’s permitted. Have they ever measured a suitcase/box??

A double or triple wall box will work perfect. I've rarely had boxes measured but if you're worried about it just cut the box down by 2cm. Score the inside 2cm down from the top, cut the sides to match and fold the sides down to the new size. You'll probably want to do a little extra because advertised box dimensions are typically the interior measurements.

Boxes travel well by plane, just use lots of tape. Think about the amount of handling and the numerous belts a box you ship UPS, FedEx, Post, etc goes through.

Hope it goes well.
djtriggz likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've checked cases of champagne and boxes of auto parts, never been a problem. I think the boxes actually get handled better than suitcases.
djtriggz likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
+1, I have taken cardboard boxes with me before to take advantage of the 2x23kg per person. Never a problem at all.

I have also travelled with oversized/overweight luggage before (I'm terrible, I know) but never been a problem, just be prepared to repack if called out. If it's just 2 cms I doubt it will be a problem.
djtriggz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.