FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Boxes allowed as checked luggage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1945889-boxes-allowed-checked-luggage.html)

FlyingGarden Dec 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Have travelled with large boxes in the past and no problems - though if pushing towards the max dimensions would always end up sent to the oversize area.

Double wall worked fine, but triple would be even better.

On size, cutting down to ensure you are in the dimensions is a good idea (or get the right size in first place),. What you don;t want is someone measuring it and being too large when you are at the airport (willing to bet the people dealing with the large luggage will have a well tuned eye on what is an ok size.

djtriggz Dec 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Thank you all for the advice and tips and tricks!!!

Wingnut Dec 16, 2018 1:49 am

Assuming you’re starting in the UK the best box I’ve found that fits within the standard BA dimensions is the ATW35 from www.davpack.co.uk - I wasn’t aware of the larger item flexibility referred to above but unless you’re carrying stuff that’s very light you will run out of weight before you run out of volume. Boxes much larger than this become quite difficult to handle. Make sure you get really good tape too. From the same website I’d go for the 3M cross weave glass filament tape.

djtriggz Dec 16, 2018 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Wingnut (Post 30540553)
Assuming you’re starting in the UK the best box I’ve found that fits within the standard BA dimensions is the ATW35 from www.davpack.co.uk - I wasn’t aware of the larger item flexibility referred to above but unless you’re carrying stuff that’s very light you will run out of weight before you run out of volume. Boxes much larger than this become quite difficult to handle. Make sure you get really good tape too. From the same website I’d go for the 3M cross weave glass filament tape.

absolute legend!! Thank you!

Koru Flyer Dec 16, 2018 7:21 am

If packing a box, suggest you use wide (2”) tape, preferably cover the whole thing, they it will not get caught as easily and will be able to survive a reasonable amount of rain or snow.

Never ever very had an issue with a box after 100 or so flights with boxes. Just also think about how to make it easy to be cattier by yourself or the carrier. There are some with cut outs for hands which I prefer.

And ckearly write rite your name and contact details in large pen on the side.

KF

plunet Dec 16, 2018 8:32 am

I even packed a couple of boxes of firewood once when visiting a friend who had just a log burning stove installed.
They were truely amazed that I turned up with 40kg of firewood, but it was a good call as the weather wasn't up to much that weekend, and they hadn't got their stock of wood sorted out.

DELLAS Dec 16, 2018 10:18 am

I check in boxes a few times a year and usually use the IKEA ones with a reinforced packaging tape around it. Always works well and turns up in the same state on arrival. Usually you get it tagged at check in then have to take it to out size baggage.

Forever in Seattle Dec 16, 2018 10:39 am

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 30541215)
I even packed a couple of boxes of firewood once when visiting a friend who had just a log burning stove installed.
They were truely amazed that I turned up with 40kg of firewood, but it was a good call as the weather wasn't up to much that weekend, and they hadn't got their stock of wood sorted out.

I've taken some odd stuff with on flights, but that beats me by a long way!

ratechaser Dec 16, 2018 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 30541215)

I'm surprised BA allows such dangerously flammable materials to be transported :rolleyes:

plunet Dec 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser (Post 30542125)
I'm surprised BA allows such dangerously flammable materials to be transported :rolleyes:

Good thing I didn't mix the firewood up with my spandex shorts* l and kept those in hand luggage lol. I did get one of 'those looks' from the agent at check-in when the conversation turned to the content of the boxes.

* Other types of clothing are equally flammable