Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can the hotline change/upgrade a redemption booking?

Can the hotline change/upgrade a redemption booking?

Old Dec 14, 18, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Question Can the hotline change/upgrade a redemption booking?

I've got a return Economy ticket booked on Avios (both legs on the same booking) and would like to move the inbound by a day. The outbound has not been flown yet and is still a few days away.

I'd need to upgrade the inbound to CE because there's no more ET availability, and that's something I can't do through MMB. Before I waste an hour of my time - is the hotline able to do that, and what will it cost? I'm hoping for an extra 4000 Avios (ET->CE) + 7.50 (ET->CE) + 17.50 (change fee capped at price of a one-way redemption), but I guess BA will be cheeky and charge 35 - I guess I can't split out the two legs retrospectively?

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 18, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by just_starting View Post
I've got a return Economy ticket booked on Avios (both legs on the same booking) and would like to move the inbound by a day. The outbound has not been flown yet and is still a few days away.

I'd need to upgrade the inbound to CE because there's no more ET availability, and that's something I can't do through MMB. Before I waste an hour of my time - is the hotline able to do that, and what will it cost? I'm hoping for an extra 4000 Avios (ET->CE) + 7.50 (ET->CE) + 17.50 (change fee capped at price of a one-way redemption), but I guess BA will be cheeky and charge 35 - I guess I can't split out the two legs retrospectively?

Thanks!
Yes this can be done over the phone and yes you will be charged the 35 amendment fee per person. If it worked online you would have been charged the 35 amendment fee too. When you call let contact centre know was unavailable online so you arent charged the extra 15 service fee per person.

The 35 amendment fee isnt different for oneways it is always this much on redemption bookings.
Old Dec 14, 18, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much!

Originally Posted by Anonba View Post
The 35 amendment fee isnt different for oneways it is always this much on redemption bookings.
That bit isn't quite right though - you could just cancel and re-book and hence only pay 17.50 for that :-)
Old Dec 14, 18, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
That bit isn't quite right though - you could just cancel and re-book and hence only pay 17.50 for that :-)
I don't think you can.

You've bought a round-trip ticket, for which the RFS fee is 35.00. Any changes to this would cost 35.00, even if you're only changing one direction.

If you were to cancel either the outbound half or the inbound half the ticket (and I'm not sure you can do that), this would also cost you 35.00.

The silver lining is that on the assumption that the half you want to change is off-peak, as you have already paid 4,000 Avios the extra Avios price to change to CE should be 3,750 because a one-way CE redemption in that band is only 7,750 Avios not 8,000.

BTW, "hotline" has a specific technical meaning at BA, different from "the call centre".
Anonba likes this.
Old Dec 14, 18, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
I don't think you can.

You've bought a round-trip ticket, for which the RFS fee is 35.00. Any changes to this would cost 35.00, even if you're only changing one direction.
Exactly, I can't in my case - Anonba said "The 35 amendment fee isnt different for oneways it is always this much on redemption bookings." though, and I was just correcting that part of the statement.

Curious now though, what is the "hotline"?
Old Dec 14, 18, 10:45 am
vga

Programs: yes
Alternatively, you can call our Asia Miles servicehotline for assistance. 4. Besides using aredemption ticket, can I use my miles to getupgrades? Yes, if you or your nominees have a confirmed booking with any one of the eligible fare classes on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon.
Old Dec 14, 18, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anonba said "The 35 amendment fee isnt different for oneways it is always this much on redemption bookings." though, and I was just correcting that part of the statement.
That's still correct, though: even if you have a one-way ticket, the change fee remains 35.00.

But you are correct that the cancellation fee on a one-way ticket is capped at 17.50 if that is all the cash that you have paid for it.
Curious now though, what is the "hotline"?
"Hotline" refers to a form of staff travel. You will often see the term referred to here in that context.
Anonba likes this.
Old Dec 14, 18, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vga View Post
Alternatively, you can call our Asia Miles servicehotline for assistance. 4. Besides using aredemption ticket, can I use my miles to getupgrades? Yes, if you or your nominees have a confirmed booking with any one of the eligible fare classes on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon.
Sorry, I have no idea how your post got here...

That's still correct, though: even if you have a one-way ticket, the change fee remains 35.00.

But you are correct that the cancellation fee on a one-way ticket is capped at 17.50 if that is all the cash that you have paid for it."Hotline" refers to a form of staff travel. You will often see the term referred to here in that context.
Is there ever a sensible use case of changing rather than cancelling re-booking a one-way redemption booking?
Old Dec 16, 18, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there ever a sensible use case of changing rather than cancelling re-booking a one-way redemption booking?
Very few that I can think of.

But that doesn't excuse the loose use of language, which - as we repeatedly see on FT - can confuse other people into making real mistakes. This applies both to the difference between a cancellation fee and a change fee, and also to the word "hotline".
cbagent likes this.
Old Dec 16, 18, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Very few that I can think of.
I'm curious now - which ones can you think of? Something related to a voucher that you might lose when cancelling maybe?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: