Out of hkg

Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc
do you have a Chinese visa?
MH ex CAN to AUS sometimes have great promos.
Of course you need to reposition from HKG to CAN
if you were to route HKG-CAN-any other “country” apart from HKG, or another Chinese airport, then you can use the TWOV (travel without visa) program so long as you leave CAN within 72hrs of arrival (depending on the rule of when the clock starts ticking and if your passport qualifies for the TWOV program) Some Chinese airports allow up to 144hrs, though other may restrict that to just 24hrs and in some instances you wouldn’t be allowed to leave the airport on the shorter TWOV stops

Last edited by Reetmafreen; Dec 15, 2018 at 12:37 pm Reason: Fix a typo
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sxc
Keep an eye out for MH J class fares to Australia and NZ. Can often be had to Australia for Ł1400. Which is cheap for HK.
Originally Posted by flatlander
If this is for BAEC credit, then beware of the zero tier points on MH I-class fares.
I believe MH I class fares only appear when booking tag ons as part of a BA ticket (eg LHR-KUL-PEN) or if you bid to upgrade. The sale fares ex-HKG and most ports I’ve checked book into Z class which does get mileage/TP.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:51 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by stewardo
Often see some good Qantas premium economy fares from HKG to New Zealand cities. The Aust-NZ flight when available books into business class bumping up the tier point haul.
Oh that’s a good tip. I didn’t know that.

So it books into I class but you only get to select Y seats?

Last edited by sxc; Dec 14, 2018 at 9:56 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

if you were to route HKG-CAN-any other “country” apart from HKG, or another Chinese airport, then you can use the TWOV (travel without visa) program so long as you leave CAN within 72hrs of arrival (depending on the rule of when the clock starts ticking and if your passport qualifies for the TWOV program) Some Chines airports allow up to 144hrs, though other may restrict that to just 24hrs and in some instances you wouldn’t be allowed to leave the airport on the shorter TWOV stops
The problem with this is that CX only flies to HKG from CAN, and other OW carriers don't discount CAN like CX does.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palty
I will be flying to HKG in mid April and since I'll be there for a week I want to fly on wards possibly Australia or New Zealand any good runs on OW available?
Originally Posted by Palty
I've checked pretty much all airports in Aus & in NZ but everything way over 2k
I'm looking for anything between 1k-1500 and 6-700 tp's and above
Do you want to visit Australia / New Zealand or just a trip for avios/status?

As HKG is CX home base, look for any airline other than CX. Separate tickets may maximise TP's. Or something like XXX-MEL-HBA/etc to a secondary airport that involves transiting a major airport. Cost increase over a major airport can be very small.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_K...tional_Airport
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:07 am

You can also get on the SIN-SYD leg of BA15 for a reasonable price, which leaves a fairly cheap shuttle flight from HK to Singapore.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Do you want to visit Australia / New Zealand or just a trip for avios/status?

As HKG is CX home base, look for any airline other than CX. Separate tickets may maximise TP's. Or something like XXX-MEL-HBA/etc to a secondary airport that involves transiting a major airport. Cost increase over a major airport can be very small.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_K...tional_Airport
mainly wanna do it for the points
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1010101
You can also get on the SIN-SYD leg of BA15 for a reasonable price, which leaves a fairly cheap shuttle flight from HK to Singapore.
I was actuuly thinking of doing that thanks
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Often see some good Qantas premium economy fares from HKG to New Zealand cities. The Aust-NZ flight when available books into business class bumping up the tier point haul.
thanks
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

if you were to route HKG-CAN-any other “country” apart from HKG, or another Chinese airport, then you can use the TWOV (travel without visa) program so long as you leave CAN within 72hrs of arrival (depending on the rule of when the clock starts ticking and if your passport qualifies for the TWOV program) Some Chines airports allow up to 144hrs, though other may restrict that to just 24hrs and in some instances you wouldn’t be allowed to leave the airport on the shorter TWOV stops
thanks never heard of TWOV before defiantly something I'll look into
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:06 am
Original Poster

yes just checked this out got PE till AUS then I to NZ
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:25 am
Original Poster

CMB-AUS is surprisingly cheap around Ł1200 with QF

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.