Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Emirates Business or British Airways First: Seattle to Cairo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:01 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

In the early stages of planning a trip from SEA-CAI using miles. We will have enough to fly Emirates Business ( through Dubai) or British Air First (through LHR.) I am having trouble finding any comparisons and wonder if there is a " no-brainer" answer on this? The Emirates flight adds about 3.5 hours flying time, most of that SEA-Dubai.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:23 pm

BA F

No brainer
orbitmic, nivsy and redeyedonkey like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by david55
In the early stages of planning a trip from SEA-CAI using miles. We will have enough to fly Emirates Business ( through Dubai) or British Air First (through LHR.) I am having trouble finding any comparisons and wonder if there is a " no-brainer" answer on this? The Emirates flight adds about 3.5 hours flying time, most of that SEA-Dubai.

Thoughts?
I think I would need to know what the relative 'monetary costs' are between the 2 offers (ie value of the 'miles' required plus actual costs of taxes and YQ etc) in order to take a definitive position.

It also depends on the equipment that EK uses on the SEA-DXB route. Business on their A380 is very good but less so on 777 frames. I have flown both and there is actually a big difference between the 2 types. BA F is fine and due some soft product upgrades in the near future.

In a straight shoot out, I would definitely stick with BA as their First is better than EK's J and in LHR you will have a T5-T5 transfer (assuming CAI flights are still at T5) and you'll have the benefit of the Concorde Room (even though there is no F on CAI AFAIK). From what you say, there is also a 3.5 hour time saving which might swing it for some people.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Definitely BA F.

Emirates is good but on A380 but the service mixed and food pretty bad in my limited experience.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:29 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Depends on the aircraft. If the A380, I'd do EK. If not, then BA. Then again, I'm biased

Edit - I think SEA-DXB is the B777 (for obvious reasons).... so, definitely BA.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That SEA-DXB is a long flight in a noisy and dry aircraft, and then you have the, er, pleasures of Dubai Airport in which to connect on to Cairo, thereby reversing back on yourself. Even if it was BA CW versus EK First I would suggest the BA option would be the less stressful. Plus you now know LHR well enough that it is a known quantity.
nivsy, PrimaVista and redeyedonkey like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

At the moment it is 777 that flies out of SEA on Emirates. BA uses a 777 or a 747 depending on which flight ( 2 daily). I have flown BA F several times and have always enjoyed it. They are both just about 80K miles OW using Alaska Air miles.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:01 pm

I've flown BA F (747&777) and EK J (A380). Would prefer BA F in almost every aspect, except for that cool bar!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:03 pm

For this journey, I would be selecting BA F based on the information you have provided.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
One thing people are forgetting, is though EK J is a little more, I assume since you're from SEA you're using AS miles, miles at 82.5k versus BA F which is 80K. You have to pay the ridiculous surcharge on BA F of about $600+, and if that is fine with all things considered then I would agree BA F versus an EK 777.
JamesBigglesworth likes this.

Last edited by safari ari; Dec 12, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by david55
They are both just about 80K miles OW using Alaska Air miles.
Uh, no? Try 120,000 AS miles for EK J North America-Africa.

Middle East is 105k, but the map puts CAI in Africa. Even so that's 25,000 miles. But 25k/40k extra for a lower class of service is a rather big hump.

Unless you have a very low estimation of equivalent cash value for AS miles, I'd pay the YQ for BA F, easy. If you do have a low estimation of AS mileage value, I'd add on what the valuation of your time is (3.5 extra hours of travel).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 12, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
BA has the large fees, what does EK charge in addition to miles?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
BA has the large fees, what does EK charge in addition to miles?
It is about $50US. BA F is closer to $600US

The miles on Emirates Business is 82.5K one way. F is 150K

BA F is 80K.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Much depends on what's important to you. On BA, there is no F on the LHR-CAI segment. I stand to be corrected, but I think it's the standard European short haul configuration, which is an economy seat with the middle blocked, sold as business class.

Thus while the EK flight will be longer, it is cheaper in terms of needed cash outlay and you'll have a better seat for a greater part of the journey.
JamesBigglesworth likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Much depends on what's important to you. On BA, there is no F on the LHR-CAI segment. I stand to be corrected, but I think it's the standard European short haul configuration, which is an economy seat with the middle blocked, sold as business class.
No it's the Club World product to CAI. Various aircraft options exist, but it's usually 787s these days, perhaps with Flub, or A321 midhauls.
AnaTravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.