Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Emirates Business or British Airways First: Seattle to Cairo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates Business or British Airways First: Seattle to Cairo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by simons1

.................................................. ...

As far as I'm aware BA don't even do F between Cairo and London. No issues if you get a 787 or mid haul A321, a bit grim if you end up being substituted with CE with what is basically economy seating.

The fees and taxes on BA will likely be significantly more than EK too with the "carrier surcharge" coming into play. Upthread suggests about $500pp. Depends on traveller's pocket but if a family are travelling then you are into the thousands.

On the other hand EK basically involves flying 4 hours in what is effectively the wrong direction.

Plus J on the 777s is certainly not what it is on the 380s.

Best suggestion here is probably to go with the itinerary that suits where the OP wants to be and when.
The specific factors you mention here (my bold) do make it a tricky call, with distinct pros and cons on both sides ; plus the matter of significant variation in applicable taxes between the two carriers.

Would certainly concur re the EK in J 777 v 380 comparison.

As you say, hard for anyone to make the choice on another’s behalf, and it’s ultimately a matter of personal priorities. The thread has at least helped to throw a lot of stuff into the mix.

Safe travels, OP ^
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:50 pm
vga

Programs: yes
Feels British Airways are cheaper compared and the flights include carry of 2x hand luggage and a 23kg check-in bag.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by vga
Feels British Airways are cheaper compared and the flights include carry of 2x hand luggage and a 23kg check-in bag.
EK also includes bags and 2x hand luggage, and even better seat selection in J is free *gasp*

Tricky but remember BA won't fly you F all the way and an unlucky substitution will land you in Club Fraud...er Europe.

The suggestion to see if the difference in YQ would allow you to buy the miles for EK F is good because then there's really no contest with guaranteed private F Suite all the way to CAI.

Don't forget you asked this on the BA forum so views may be skewed
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Skywardhunter : have always believed that acerbic remarks can very quickly lose impact if used too often ...... but ‘Club Fraud’ was a new one on me and certainly brought a wry smile .......

I guess you’re right about potentially skewed views. But in fairness I feel that (a majority of) the regulars here on BAEC do show a sense of balance ; plus, some might suspect similar ‘skewing’ from an airline Forum Ambassador, such as yourself !
wrp96 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:55 am
Suspended

If baggage is important to you, Emirates business class to/from the US includes up to 2 pieces at 32kg each. A whopping 64kg baggage allowance!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by donpizmeoff
If baggage is important to you, Emirates business class to/from the US includes up to 2 pieces at 32kg each. A whopping 64kg baggage allowance!
Whereas the BA allowance is merely 3 checked bags, 1 push chair, 2 hand baggage items, one umbrella = 96 kgs checked plus 46 kgs hand luggage.

I've checked the figures for Club Europe substitutions to CAI and I can only spot 2 occasions in 3 years where this has happened. It may have happened more than that, but currently the numbers flying on that sector makes it very tricky to do, even with a 321neo. I would rule that out as a factor, more flights have been cancelled due to bird strike.

The Air France idea would give a CE style flight from CDG to CAI but for a shorter trip, but presumably a good transfer experience in Roissy. It's not so easy to get given the SEA start point however.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:31 am
Suspended

Ah ha! That’s pretty substantial . My post was more in reply to a previous that alluded to a 23kg bag.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
BA service LHR-CAI is once daily on a 321. No F. It's a five hour flight. I've done the reverse in J, CAI-LHR, it was fine. I'd take the BA option. EK J is waaay overrated.
I agree about EK J being way overrated, at least so far as the 777 hard product goes (I have no experience with the A380). It is 2-3-2 seating in J which makes the seats somewhat narrower than you might expect -- could barely move my elbows without hitting some piece of plastic barrier or other, which gave me a bit of a claustrophobic feeling after a couple of hours (no complaints about the soft product, though). In this respect, it is *almost* as bad as the CW hard product on BA's 747s, 777s & 787s. The CW seats on BA's mid-haul A321 are certainly no worse. In fact, I prefer them, certainly to the BA 747-777-787 CWs, especially the individual seat on the A321 (it is a 1-2 layout in one row, then 2-1 in the next row), and perhaps even to Emirates' J seats.

Last edited by husseinbadr; Dec 13, 2018 at 6:09 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thanks for all the superb comments.

A couple thoughts.

AF is not a possibility. Alaska ended their partnership with AF years ago when Delta became a serious competition threat to Alaska in their base city of Seattle.

I am aware that BA does not have F from LHR to CAI. ( I should have made that clearer) We have learned ( the hard way) when we fly BA F to LHR and then connect to a CE flight to Athens that the shock to our jet-lagged system of downgraded comfort and space was too much.... we have now started stopping in LHR for the night and resuming the journey the next day...somewhat rested and ready for the " downgrade". ( In this case it may not work to CAI as BA shows only one flight a day leaving at night....and we need to make the connection with in 24 hours..... a sleep aid may be our friend here)

We are leaning towards BA at this time.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Add me to the list of those who would choose BA F without hesitation on that one! As others say it is a no brainer.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
@ Skywardhunter : have always believed that acerbic remarks can very quickly lose impact if used too often ...... but ‘Club Fraud’ was a new one on me and certainly brought a wry smile .......

I guess you’re right about potentially skewed views. But in fairness I feel that (a majority of) the regulars here on BAEC do show a sense of balance ; plus, some might suspect similar ‘skewing’ from an airline Forum Ambassador, such as yourself !
Of course, by no means is my view "unskewed", I was merely pointing out the possibility (and it would just as likely be skewed the other way in another forum.

I think if EK F can be had for a comparable cost it is however not unreasonable to suggest that this might be favourable, especially going all the way, and the longer first flight arguably being a better opportunity for rest
subject2load and AnaTravel like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
I would choose EK J over BA F anytime
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by lall
I would choose EK J over BA F anytime
Even on the EK 777? Legit question, because 2-3-2 vs 1-2-1 is a huge difference.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Gig103
Even on the EK 777? Legit question, because 2-3-2 vs 1-2-1 is a huge difference.
That's the big question... On a B777, EK J is nowhere near as good as BA F. In fact, the IFE is probably the only thing better.

On the EK A380, it's much closer. The seat is good and private, IFE is miles better and you've also got the option of the bar. Food is pretty comparable - not great on either to be honest.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

I've checked the figures for Club Europe substitutions to CAI and I can only spot 2 occasions in 3 years where this has happened. It may have happened more than that, but currently the numbers flying on that sector makes it very tricky to do, even with a 321neo. I would rule that out as a factor, more flights have been cancelled due to bird strike.

The Air France idea would give a CE style flight from CDG to CAI but for a shorter trip, but presumably a good transfer experience in Roissy. It's not so easy to get given the SEA start point however.
CWS, the problem on this route is that BA have only been offering A321 or CE at certain times of the year. So, substitutes may appear few but the reality has been that a 777/787 CW experience was not always a direct choice. There has been no F class on this route for some years. On occasion, I've seen a 4 class used without F service provision. The reason is due to demand, I agree. I looked at using Air France J instead into Cairo but they only had a lie flat business product outbound. Out of curiosity I took a screenshot of BA LHR-CAI for next month and they are offering an A321. This may change, of course, according to demand.

Last edited by AnaTravel; Dec 13, 2018 at 11:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.