Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg

Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg

Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:41 am

Interesting debate. I'm not sure I see a clear argument either way so prefer to await the outcome of a BA test case if we ever see one.

I imagine the reason a test case has never happened is either i) the amount of revenue at stake is small and/or ii) BA's legal opinion says the chances of winning such a case are uncertain.

Either way I don't see the likelihood of air travel getting cheaper, so for me it still boils down to a personal decision on whether the saving of an ex EU start and a dropped final leg outweighs the hassle of pointless positioning flights. Or whether it is easier just to go on another airline. The legal considerations don't really come into it.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you find that the last sector of your ex-EU has been cancelled, you can accept the cancellation and you will get a refund from BA which may be for a pleasantly surprising amount. So that's not an issue.

But that's not the situation you mentioned before: the passenger has bought a non-refundable fare and the airline is ready and wiling to carry the passenger to their ticketed destination, but the passenger wants to change something. The non-refundability of the ticket does not bar the airline from charging for the change. It happens all the time.
Perhaps we can express the issue in an airline agnostic way:

Two parties have entered contract for a service. The purchaser had the option of two services, one of which was higher priced - the purchaser opted for the lower priced service.

The vendor stands ready to render the service to the purchaser, but the purchaser is choosing to avail themselves of the higher priced service without recourse. The vendor is claiming the right to charge the higher price for the service actually provided.

The fact that the lower priced service entirely contains the higher priced service - and is thus something that the purchaser can unilaterally avail themselves of - is somewhat peculiar to the airline business [hence the plethora of analogies], but is not relevant.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
The airline's loss is very easy to work out. To take simplified round numbers: Suppose that a LHR-JFK-LHR ticket costs Ł4,000. Suppose that you can instead buy a FRA-JFK-FRA ticket for the equivalent of Ł2,000, with a routing that connects through LHR in both directions. In those circumstances it is likely that a FRA-JFK-LHR ticket (with an outbound connection at LHR) would cost Ł3,000.
The airline would have to prove actual loss, not hypothetical loss. Simply offering tickets for sale at a high price and having them unsold is not actual loss, the airline would have to prove that they turned away customers willing to pay Ł4,000 for the direct flight.

However, the airlines own pricing structure defeats that argument, since if there was an excess of customers willing to pay Ł4,000 for A-B, then they would never offer A-B-C for Ł2,000, they would offer it for the price of Ł4,000 for A-B, plus the segment cost of B-C, since they can sell all the A-B seats they can. Clearly they can't though, or there would be no reason for the multi segement flights to be cheaper

Inflexible tickets that have no value if a customer misses a flight/ connection also work against they argument of the airline suffering a loss, as if the customer misses a flight on a non changeable ticket the airline has been paid for a service it is not required to perform. That allows the practice of overbooking to further maximise revenue, which would otherwise be impossible.

Pretty much any way you looks at it, legacy airline pricing is stacked against the consumer, I'm actually surprised that LH would want some of these things tested in court, they might get a result they are quite unhappy with.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by etiene
Two parties have entered contract for a service. The purchaser had the option of two services, one of which was higher priced - the purchaser opted for the lower priced service.
You're right from a strict contract legal point of view.

However I hope governments consider the broader competition law aspects to allow this to stand.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:40 am

If the price you should have paid for the product is Ł3,000, and you have only paid Ł2,000 because you have paid for a different product, then I can't see how you couldn't measure the loss at Ł1,000.

In any event, without getting to deeply into the technicalities, if the contract specifies that in these circumstances you must pay that difference, then that is what the contract obliges you to pay. It could be that the measure of loss that might be applied in a tort claim is completely irrelevant.

It's dead easy to get a price for FRA-JFK-LHR online. Even ba.com can handle it without difficulty. However, if we get away from hypothetical numbers and start looking at what is the actual cost of a FRA-JFK-LHR ticket, you may not like the answer.
Which is to completely ignore airline pricing and how revenue management change availability based on real or perceived demand. The reality is that the Ł3000 fare that you have should have purchased may just be Ł2000 in two weeks.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I think simons1 has the correct answer.
Anything else is informed/uninformed speculation.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
The fact that the lower priced service entirely contains the higher priced service - and is thus something that the purchaser can unilaterally avail themselves of - is somewhat peculiar to the airline business [hence the plethora of analogies], but is not relevant.
I think it is relevant, as I can't think of anything else outside of air transport ( and I think the UK trains are also an anomaly in worldwide rail travel pricing) that getting a greater amount of service costs less than a lesser amount of service. If I hire a yard service to mow my grass, it costs more if I have a bigger yard over a small yard. If the crew shows up and mows my front grass and I tell them not to bother with the back (even though I have paid for the back to be mowed), they are not going to send me a bill for not mowing the back yard. The very idea is laughable.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi
The airline would have to prove actual loss, not hypothetical loss. Simply offering tickets for sale at a high price and having them unsold is not actual loss, the airline would have to prove that they turned away customers willing to pay Ł4,000 for the direct flight.

What legal system is this?

If I am a grocer and someone pays me only for an apple but walks out of my store with a cut of beef instead, I have no recourse unless I can prove a future customer who wanted an apple was turned away because I was all out of apples?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
You're right from a strict contract legal point of view.

However I hope governments consider the broader competition law aspects to allow this to stand.
Where's the competition issue with the pricing...? Long-haul per sector pricing - in the guise of the LCCs like Norwegian - hasn't really taken off [pun inevitable]. You might argue that is because they do not benefit from full hub-and-spoke networks - but I would contend that if service pricing is what allows the hub and spoke.

Granted, it is an industry with a phenomenally high barrier to entry - and I would not argue that it needs to be less regulated - but I don't see the issue here.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:05 am

I think it is relevant, as I can't think of anything else outside of air transport ( and I think the UK trains are also an anomaly in worldwide rail travel pricing) that getting a greater amount of service costs less than a lesser amount of service. If I hire a yard service to mow my grass, it costs more if I have a bigger yard over a small yard. If the crew shows up and mows my front grass and I tell them not to bother with the back (even though I have paid for the back to be mowed), they are not going to send me a bill for not mowing the back yard. The very idea is laughable.
If they chose to price their service such that the service used was more costly than the service purchased they would be entirely within their rights to do so.

You are consuming the convenient service while paying for the inconvenient one - then arguing entirely without taking convenience into account. It is up to you how you value that convenience - but you cannot argue that it has zero value or you would be taking the last leg!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by KARFA
and if you were requested but refused to comply, what do you think would happen next?
As my post said, BA's CoC limits their remedies in that circumstance to refusing your further use of your ticket.

Perhaps we can express the issue in an airline agnostic way:

The vendor stands ready to render the service to the purchaser, but the purchaser is choosing to avail themselves of the higher priced service without recourse. The vendor is claiming the right to charge the higher price for the service actually provided.
Again, this is legally not correct. The airline have offered a specific series of flights for a given price. The fact that they would offer a smaller subset of these flights for a higher price doesn't affect the contract you enter with them. The argument being run by some posters is that by not taking all of the flights you are buying, you are in breach of your contract - which is function in fact (and in law) of what each carriers' CoC says.

to be carrier specific: BA's contract conditions (the CoC) do not impose a contractual requirement to fly all the flights on the ticket and do not impose a right of claim for BA on the passenger should all the flights not be flown. BA merely require being told that you're not going to fly the remaining segments, at which point BA can request you pay them the fare difference; should you decline that fare difference request, then BA reserve the right to deny boarding of the remaining flights on the ticket.

Now, there's the question many here are asking which is: if a hypothetical CoC did impose such a contractual requirement to fly every leg (again, BA's does not): what is the calculation of loss to the airline for a breach of this contractual requirement?

Given airlines operate a Monopolistic pricing model which can be summarised as:
$2 for a bag of two apples
*or*
$1 for a bag of four apples - as long as you agree to eat all four

I doubt there are many examples of case law for what the vendor's loss is for a failure to eat all four apples?

The problem for the vendor is: it is easy for the buyer to demonstrate that it's cheaper for the vendor to provide two (or three) apples rather than four apples, and as such if you only consume three apples, the vendor's actual, realized costs are lower, not higher. The vendor's loss argument would have be a tort claim from consequential loss/opportunity foregone, but frankly I'd fancy my chances much more as consumer than vendor in front a UK judge on this one.

Last edited by alexwuk; Feb 15, 2019 at 10:51 am
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL

Last edited by alexwuk; Feb 15, 2019 at 10:19 am Reason: dupe
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The airline would have to prove actual loss, not hypothetical loss.
Nope, that's tort again.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alexwuk
As my post said, BA's CoC limits their remedies in that circumstance to refusing your further use of your ticket.
no it doesn't. read the whole of the terms.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Simple answer is for the airline to detail the charge for missing each leg prior to the customer booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.