Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg

Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg

Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by etiene
Then you must surely drop your "reselling the seat" point...?

I'm not arguing about ethics - just taking a longer view of what is best for the consumer. If many used this approach to flights, and continued to drop use only partial tickets then i do not believe the airlines would suffer - I believe consumers would lose choice and most would pay more. Those who pay more will be those at the lower end who cannot pay more rather than those who already buy premium tickets on nonstop flights.

What distinction do you draw between dropping the last leg and dropping the first...?
I agree it is not obvious what the effect would be to consumers generally if this practice became pervasive.

I think there is no ethical or contractual distinction between dropping the first or dropping the last leg. But clearly airlines cancel the rest of the ticket if the first leg is dropped so that is not practical (unless the consumer is willing to fight it out in court).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by simpletastes
Absolutely agree that the airline is worse off, but that's not for consumers to worry! They certainly don't worry about consumers with family emergencies when they sell last minute Y tickets exorbitantly.

If we want to talk about ethics, there is a higher ethical standard than merely following the letter of contracts. If one wants to be absolutely ethical, one needs to pay the higher fare for one's true itinerary. Flying the last leg may fulfill one's contractual requirements but is arguably still unethical.
Are you saying that an airline should reduce the commercial value of a ticket because of a family emergency? They'd go out of business! It is sad if someone has a family emergency and can't get cheap flights but that is not the airline's fault. It is the fault of the market.
My true itinerary is to OTP. It is what I intend to travel and so both contractually and morally I am fine.

It is a pity that we are forced to fly these convoluted routes just to get cheap fares now that I agree but that is the world of commercial reality. The airline of course wants to maximise their profits and this is one way they believe they will do it. Just because we don't agree with the way they do it should mean we don't fly with that airline rather than deceptively get cheaper fares than we should be paying if we were being honest.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:18 pm

I agree it is not obvious what the effect would be to consumers generally if this practice became pervasive.

I think there is no ethical or contractual distinction between dropping the first or dropping the last leg. But clearly airlines cancel the rest of the ticket if the first leg is dropped so that is not practical (unless the consumer is willing to fight it out in court).
I think you will find they will cancel the rest of the ticket if any leg is dropped but by dropping the final leg that is not possible.

So here is a question for you all... if you are on a 4 sector trip and drop the last 2 sectors would the airline try to sue in the same way? The same principles apply
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
The airline say they will get us to our destination and, for the most part, they do go out of their way to make sure that happens or else they pay compensation. So I think they do reciprocate.
Airlines are neither honourable nor ethical creatures. If that was the case, 261 would have never been necessary. We have seen many cases here of BA only paying out under their 261 obligations at the last moment before legal action, they only pay compensation begrudgingly and when forced to. They certainly do not go out of their way to be proactive and automatically send cheques to those affected passengers. So no, airlines do not go out of their way to help passengers. They do as little as they can get away with until litigated against.
simpletastes likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:20 pm

I'm sorry -- you are telling me they would rather you not pay MORE to fly less segments? So if without the last leg, the price became £1 million, you mean they wouldn't be happy if you paid that?
Just going from their pricing... they priced my trip stopping at LHR over double. From that I have assumed they are happier I take the last leg to OTP.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Airlines are neither honourable nor ethical creatures. If that was the case, 261 would have never been necessary. We have seen many cases here of BA only paying out under their 261 obligations at the last moment before legal action, they only pay compensation begrudgingly and when forced to. They certainly do not go out of their way to be proactive and automatically send cheques to those affected passengers. So no, airlines do not go out of their way to help passengers. They do as little as they can get away with until litigated against.
Well I have had EC261 compensation send after my claim without me having to force the issue and I know many others who have had the same. Where there is a edge case as to whether EC261 applies then sure... but then again any company would likely do the same if they thought that they might not be liable. I think BA is pretty good with EC261 claims from what I read on the forum.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:24 pm

Are you saying that an airline should reduce the commercial value of a ticket because of a family emergency? They'd go out of business! It is sad if someone has a family emergency and can't get cheap flights but that is not the airline's fault. It is the fault of the market.
It is not the fault of the market. The airline itself chooses its pricing strategy (and it has the right to do so). If a customer has £1 million in the bank account and needs to undergo life saving surgery in another country, if the airline could charge this particular customer £900,000 because it has the only flight that would take that customer to the country in time for the surgery, the airline would. This is an exaggerated example of why airlines price last minute tickets exorbitantly. This is business. It's no one's "fault".
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:27 pm

Just going from their pricing... they priced my trip stopping at LHR over double. From that I have assumed they are happier I take the last leg to OTP.
Look, I think you are a really nice guy and I'd love to have someone like you as my friend. Honest. But I don't want your feelings to be hurt because you will be betrayed by the airlines. The airlines would rather you hand over everything you own to them and not fly! In this case, they are not happier that you are paying less to take the last leg to OTP compared to paying more to stop at LHR. Trust me. Someone, please say this is true.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I think you will find they will cancel the rest of the ticket if any leg is dropped but by dropping the final leg that is not possible.

So here is a question for you all... if you are on a 4 sector trip and drop the last 2 sectors would the airline try to sue in the same way? The same principles apply
This depends on the circumstances. Say that’s an AMS-LHR-BKK ticket and whilst in BKK you have an emergency and need to come home. Your ticket is non refundable and non changeable so you have no option but to buy a one way ticket with another airline for the trip. Imagine the headlines, passengers brother dies in car crash airline sues him for return half of the fare on a cheap ticket....... it’s not going to happen. If however you have a LAX-PHX-DFW-DCA-BOS trip and you decide to curtail it in DFW and you booked thst because it’s $200 but a LAX-DFW ticket was $650 then I’d say the airline has every right to come to you for the $450 or have sanctions on your frequent flyer account or even ban you from the airline. A few high profile sanctions like this might make people think twice of hidden city ticketing and not using the last flight.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
then I’d say the airline has every right to come to you for the $450 or have sanctions on your frequent flyer account or even ban you from the airline. A few high profile sanctions like this might make people think twice of hidden city ticketing and not using the last flight.

I'd say that they would have every right to ban the passenger from using their airline (as any business would have this right without the need to supply a reason) but I'm not so sure they would be successful in the courts in demanding the $450 or confiscating the frequent flier miles. Having thought about it, airlines are oligopolies/monopolies and I think banning passengers without VERY good reason would itself be problematic. I wonder if Human Rights regulations would apply, etc., if there is only one airline connecting a pair of cities and this may impose severe hardship etc.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:43 pm

Look, I am not some airline lover that thinks airlines can do no wrong... especially BA! But I just feel that in the long run it is better for everyone, including us, if we comply with the rules. If the ticket is round trip and we intend to do a round trip then there is no deception and if we have to curtail because of illness or important change of business plans then so be it. But I just think that the airline should then reserve the right to charge for the trip done and not the trip ticketed if they thought that the trip done was the passenger's original intention. I intend to fly OTP-PHX return and so there is no deception. If I stop and LHR and drop the last leg, knowing that if I had bought a ticket for that trip it would have cost me a lot more, then I would be buying the ticket deceptively to get a cheaper fare than I should get.

I get it that many of you disagree with me and I respect your position and if you choose to drop the last legs of your trips then fill yer boots! You won't find me moaning... but I believe it not right and yes, the airlines should find a way to prevent it or to permit it. Right now it is neither and it is left to the individual to decide if they are happy to do it. Most probably would and that is fine by me... but I won't.

So nothing more from me on this tonight. I do love discussing these issues though... lots to think about and great to hear views other than mine
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Slightly off the point in hand but I've just never understood the appeal to an Ex-EU for a London based traveler. Put simply, it would just seem such a hassle to have to get over to Dublin/Oslo/Stockholm etc and then back again before transferring to a flight to New York/similar.

Yes, of course I understand the appeal to others because of price differences, particularly in J. But I could be half-way to New York in WTP with the 3-4 hours (and I bet it's more in some cases) I've just effectively wasted going back and forth to one of these places. And that's before you even consider what you do about the return leg and whether you drop the flight or not. Barring a TP effort, it all seems like one massive faff to be honest.
Summer 2017 our family of 5 had a holiday in California. LON-LAX-LON, £1200 per person in Y. ARN-LON-LAX-LON-GOT, £398 per person in Y. We found the extra £4000 that paid for the campervan, all the fuel, all the food and all the national park fees extremely appealing. A day out in Gothenburg was probably amongst the last things we felt like doing after two weeks away, but we gritted our teeth and did it.
Tafflyer, snaxmuppet and etiene like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:14 pm

What if I drop all four? It should get repriced to zero
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If a customer has £1 million in the bank account and needs to undergo life saving surgery in another country, if the airline could charge this particular customer £900,000 because it has the only flight that would take that customer to the country in time for the surgery, the airline would.
But I don't want your feelings to be hurt because you will be betrayed by the airlines. The airlines would rather you hand over everything you own to them and not fly!
That's an interesting take on airlines in general, and (if it's intended to cover BA as well) BA in particular. It's rather belied by real-life experiences of what BA will actually do for you in a crisis, or when things unexpectedly go wrong despite the passenger's best efforts. I've read plenty of stories on FT, and I have personally seen it in action myself. And even in non-crisis times, there are plenty of little good things that happen that counter-balance the routine daily frustrations of things not going so well.

I can see how someone who genuinely thinks that all that airlines are out to do is to grab them by the short and curlies, and to squeeze the pips until it hurts, might take the view that they will themselves screw the airline in any practical way. But I suspect that those who actually do fly on a frequent basis will have seen a lot of good things happen to go with the bad, and those who have flown with a particular airline for a long time will have seen the ups and downs and the swings and roundabouts.
adrianlondon, KARFA and snaxmuppet like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:23 pm

It is not really particular to airlines and BA. Just business in general. I am a capitalist and I love flying, airlines and BA but I do have a dismal view!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.