Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg

Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg

Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The EU in ex-EU is shorthand for geographical Europe not the European Union.

It’s an important distinction

Switzerland is not in the EU bit it is a member of Schengen. It is also a member of EFTA but not the EEA. It is also a member of the European Broadcasting Union which also covers parts of Africa and the Middle East). It also accepts EU261 as written but not all the ECJ rulings as it isn’t a mmber of the ECJ because that’s an EU Court.

The European Council isn’t the same as the Council of Europe and the European Court of Justice only covers EU members not geographical Europe. the European Court of Human Rights is also another separate organisation
our_kid and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Was it not Lufthansa that invoiced a passenger €2000 for lounge visits when they cancelled their traveL something in the order of €55 per visit. Maybe this worm is turning to bight back. I know it’s a big deal in the USA and airlines seem to track it and enforce as there are lengthy threads about membership b into cancelled/suspended.

An interesting case,,.. or is this going to be another Jet 2 v Hassar where the airline wishes they’d never took the matter to appeal.?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
It's good to see that a lot of media attention is being given to the "cheap flight tricks". If Lufthansa fails with this lawsuit (German courts are notoriously consumer friendly) I guess a lot of other legacy airlines will not be happy with LH making this booking technique widely known and getting a court ruling to confirm.

After all Lufthansa has already given us the "auto cancellation after the first segment is not permissible" ruling a few years back.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LCY8737
It's good to see that a lot of media attention is being given to the "cheap flight tricks". If Lufthansa fails with this lawsuit (German courts are notoriously consumer friendly) I guess a lot of other legacy airlines will not be happy with LH making this booking technique widely known and getting a court ruling to confirm.
If the previous German decision is a reliable guide, the German courts are not so consumer-friendly as to fail to understand the commercial rationale for an Amsterdam-Bangkok ticket being less valuable and therefore cheaper than a London-Bangkok ticket (to hark back to the example I gave above), even though the London-Bangkok sector is flown on the same aircraft in both cases.

But I don't see why lots of media attention on this would be good news for anyone. If you really think that the long-term effect of Lufthansa losing this case would be cheap business class air fares for all, regardless of market, I have a bridge to sell. And if you really think that long-term effect of cheap business class air fares for all is that everyone can enjoy the current levels of business class service at lower fares, I have more of those bridges.
NickB, windchaser777 and etiene like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by NickB
It is not that simple. Certainly the judgments from the German courts are rather more nuanced on this and accept that it is in principle legitimate for airlines to protect their pricing/fare structures. The question is more one of how far you can go without upsetting the balance too unfairly to the detriment of the consumer rather than considering the system as fundamentally flawed.
I know nothing of German law unfortunately. I have read the UK UCTA and I see nothing in it that requires the court to protect any businessss pricing structures. If you buy a product or service on standard T&Cs you are protected from unfair clauses. The internet has drastically altered the balance of information available to the consumer, and they are IMO legally free to exploit pricing differences between markets and protection from unfair treatment.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The airlines choose to market connecting itineraries for a lower total fare than part of that itinerary alone. They may decide that the market between those 2 points will bear a higher fare but they obviously cannot justify thaton the costs side of the equation only the income side. I believe this would cause any court to consider the pricing unfair, not of the hidden city itinerary but that of the direct flight.

And, an important point is that if the airlines could fill all seats of a direct service with point-to-point traffic at a much higher fare, then they would surely do that. An individual taking up their offer of a cheaper but more extensive service and then not utilising a part of it is doing no wrong.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by memesweeper
The internet has drastically altered the balance of information available to the consumer, and they are IMO legally free to exploit pricing differences between markets and protection from unfair treatment.
Nobody is complaining about consumers exploiting pricing differences between markets.

The airlines' complaint is about consumers who buy a cheaper product in one market yet help themselves to the more expensive product in a different market, simply because they're physically able to do it. Is it unfair for an airline to seek to enforce that?
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I believe this would cause any court to consider the pricing unfair, not of the hidden city itinerary but that of the direct flight.
Be careful what you wish for.
And, an important point is that if the airlines could fill all seats of a direct service with point-to-point traffic at a much higher fare, then they would surely do that.
You forget that the value of the non-stop route to point-to-point traffic tends to be increased by the presence of the lower-yield connecting traffic. The reason: frequency; it's the same reason why airlines like BA fill the back of every LHR-JFK with low-yielding traffic instead of just flying three all-J 747s a day.

So, contrary to the implicit assumption in your point, these are not independent market sectors. Because they are inter-dependent, it may be commercially important for the most profitable part of the airline's business for it to carry the connecting traffic too. And I suspect that this is a lesson which BA learned from its own commercial history, more specifically from strategic decisions made during the Ayling era which were later reversed.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by memesweeper
I know nothing of German law unfortunately. I have read the UK UCTA
The relevant piece of legislation in consumer contracts in the UK these days would be the Consumer Rights Act 2015 rather than UCTA (although it makes no fundamental difference on the substantive issue). German law and UK law on unfair terms in consumer contracts is very similar since they both give effect to the same underlying piece of EU legislation, namely the Directive on unfair terms in consumer contracts.
I see nothing in it that requires the court to protect any businessss pricing structures.
You won't find that phrase in there. The key notion is whether the term contrary to good faith, causes a significant imbalance between the parties to the detriment of the consumer.
German courts consider that an airline is free to charge less for, say, OSL-FRA-BOS or BOS-FRA-OSL than is does for FRA-BOS or BOS-FRA. They also recognise that, in principle, taking measures to protect that price structure against the danger that a passenger FRA-BOS or BOS-FRA buys a cheaper OSL-FRA-BOS or a BOS-FRA-OSL and discards the OSL-FRA or FRA-OSL segments is not per se unfair. The question in the cases has been about what they can do to protect it. In an earlier case, the courts had found that the systematic cancellation of the remaining legs of the tickets when a passenger does not fly a particular leg was disproportionate and unfair. The more recent case finds that repricing while not having given the passenger information in advance on what the new price would be was also unfair. This however does not detract from the original finding that protecting price differentials between different pairs of origin and destination cities is not per se unfair. It is more a question of how to do it in a fair, transparent and proportionate manner..
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The more recent case finds that repricing while not having given the passenger information in advance on what the new price would be was also unfair. This however does not detract from the original finding that protecting price differentials between different pairs of origin and destination cities is not per se unfair. It is more a question of how to do it in a fair, transparent and proportionate manner..
I believe the German court sided with the defendant on the principle you mentioned as this much was clear. Do not automatically assume that if the costs of his actions were in fact known to the consumer, the court would have not found another reason to discharge the case. I believe the absence of clear consumer information allowed a "quick and easy" dismissal of the case and that no more should be read into it at this stage. If Lufthansa is appealing the judgement, they must think they have a good case, since failure would have wide-ranging and very negative effects for pretty much all legacy carriers. Many of us really hope Lufthansa will lose.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Wouldn’t courts frown on the premise that a company could charge more for not providing a service than providing it?
alex67500 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
This however does not detract from the original finding that protecting price differentials between different pairs of origin and destination cities is not per se unfair. It is more a question of how to do it in a fair, transparent and proportionate manner..
Which means BA would be light-years away from being able to implement given the state of their IT.

How do UK rail companies do it in a transparent manner? When booking a ticket to Manchester, I have never seen ‘but if you stop one station short it will cost you X more’.

Finally, having done a few exEU and often skipped the last leg (and in some cases getting a refund from BA for the skipped last leg, no less!), I find that the initial positioning is the biggest hassle when all you want to do is arrive at your work or holiday destination ASAP. Given you cannot skip the first leg but only the last one, it’s not as if you have enjoyed the lower fare without having put yourself through a fair amount of connections. In fact what you have done is taking the last leg first (by having to do a positioning flight).

Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The airlines' complaint is about consumers who buy a cheaper product in one market yet help themselves to the more expensive product in a different market, simply because they're physically able to do it. Is it unfair for an airline to seek to enforce that?
I completely understand your point of view. However, the sentence I quoted from your post indicates what I believe to be the fundamental difference of opinion here. Along with many others, I do not accept the "2 different products" stance. I believe that it is a cheaper bundle of 2 products. It may be convenient for airlines' revenue management and legal departments to present it as such but from a consumer point of view it simply makes no sense. I believe and hope that when this plays out that the courts will side with the consumer.

And you know, for almost every indirect routing there is a competing direct routing and all airlines try to competitively undercut each other this way.

But then there are also special cases where some airlines or groups of airlines have effective monopolies in certain geographic areas. Take the example of ZRH-MUC. This must be the most exorbitantly expensive sector in Europe. For a mere 162 miles Lufthansa and Swiss, both owned by Lufthansa Group will demand between €253 and €522. There is simply no more competition on that route. Tag on MUC-DUS to that trip, effectively tripling the distance flown, and you find that due to low cost competition on ZRH-DUS, the ZRH-MUC-DUS itinerary is on sale for €159, even using the single sector that would cost €522.

So, if any court affords airlines this sort of protection, then that can only come in tandem with prohibiting it on sectors where a single airline group has a monopoly.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Given you cannot skip the first leg but only the last one, it’s not as if you have enjoyed the lower fare without having put yourself through a fair amount of connections.
But if you deliberately skip the last sector, you have only put yourself through half the number of connections that you should have done, if you were to honour your part of the bargain.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But if you deliberately skip the last sector, you have only put yourself through half the number of connections that you should have done, if you were to honour your part of the bargain.
I don’t disagree with that. I am however of the opinion the initial connection is more painful than the final one. So I have put myself through half the connections but 3/4 of the hassle.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I completely understand your point of view. However, the sentence I quoted from your post indicates what I believe to be the fundamental difference of opinion here. Along with many others, I do not accept the "2 different products" stance. I believe that it is a cheaper bundle of 2 products.
That is understandably the point of view that would be espoused by a self-interested passenger.

However, it is clearly not the point of view from which the airline works when it prices and markets these fares. The Amsterdam-Bangkok fare is clearly not being sold as a bundle of two products. If nothing else, this is demonstrated by the fact that (if the fare is being used in the typical way) if either the Amsterdam-London or London-Bangkok flights isn't operating, the airline may re-route you from Amsterdam to Bangkok by some other means, including possibly a non-stop flight. That is because your fare and your contract are to get you from Amsterdam to Bangkok.

Analytically, these are the two positions. But this is not a matter of opinion, and the passenger's belief doesn't really enter into it. The question is whether the airline has a proper reason for operating the system in the way that it does. And we know that when faced with a similar problem, the German courts held that the airline does have a proper reason for doing so: if you buy an A-B-C ticket at a low fare, that's for travel from A-C, not a bundle of two separate products A-B and B-C that the passenger can choose to use in either order.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.