Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Gold For Life achieved - Time to change strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:28 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

I've managed to hit Gold For Life due to some rather manic flying for work over the past 4.5 years. Big woop, and I expect a trumpet salute when I next travel through LHR.

Anyway, having hit the target, I am now minded to switch to a different approach when booking flights. However, I wanted to see what the forum thinks.

I will never hit GGL For Life, so knowing thats off the table, I'm minded to fly on different airlines and alliances.

How much more do we pay to fly BA over a competitor? How much more would you pay to fly with OneWorld over Star Alliance or Skyteam?

Well, for me, I've always been willing to pay Ł200 more for a trip than a comparable competitor. That is to say, if LX had a flight to HKG for Ł1800 from CDG, I would be willing to pay Ł2000 to fly QR or BA for a similar routing. To most, this logic made no sense, but I had a target I wanted to hit.

Now that I've made the goal, should I continue to pay the extra? Should I focus on timings opposed to routing via X to pick up the extra Avios/TPs? Should I focus on one particular alliance over a scatter-gun approach?

I'm curious what others would do.

Safe travels,

M
crazyarmadillo and RockyRobin like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Asiana lifetime *A gold status is only 500k...
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Cymro
I'd try Asiana for a status match. Their *A programme is probably one of the easiest to maintain status in because you only need to meet any of their listed criteria and from memory you don't even need to set foot on one of their planes to meet any eligibility requirements.

And once you've hit gold, miles don't expire for something like 12 years.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: BA GfL
For me, hitting LTG was the trigger to stop building in routings solely created for the purpose of maximizing TPs, but I still concentrate my flying on OW whenever possible (although no longer BA, since I live in the US and no longer fly internationally for business). The whole point of LTG, as I see it, is to get benefits when flying OW. So it wouldn’t make much sense to suddenly stop flying OW, having attained LTG.

It is a relief to be able to fly straight to Hawaii now without going through the Bahamas first though
Xonus, so3003, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Cymro
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
I'd try Asiana for a status match. Their *A programme is probably one of the easiest to maintain status in because you only need to meet any of their listed criteria and from memory you don't even need to set foot on one of their planes to meet any eligibility requirements.

And once you've hit gold, miles don't expire for something like 12 years.
Thanks Cymro and Tiger_lily.

Any ideas who to contact for the status match?

Originally Posted by travelmad478
For me, hitting LTG was the trigger to stop building in routings solely created for the purpose of maximizing TPs, but I still concentrate my flying on OW whenever possible (although no longer BA, since I live in the US and no longer fly internationally for business). The whole point of LTG, as I see it, is to get benefits when flying OW. So it wouldn’t make much sense to suddenly stop flying OW, having attained LTG.

It is a relief to be able to fly straight to Hawaii now without going through the Bahamas first though
I've done one TP run, and that was, ironically, the set of flights which took me over the edge! Most of my other flying however, did have a degree of TP optimisation within.

I agree that in order to enjoy the benefits I need to fly with OneWorld, but a lounge is a lounge - and if I can book a lower cost J fare with another airline (in a different alliance), then surely its something to consider.

M
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

I've done one TP run, and that was, ironically, the set of flights which took me over the edge! Most of my other flying however, did have a degree of TP optimisation within.

I agree that in order to enjoy the benefits I need to fly with OneWorld, but a lounge is a lounge - and if I can book a lower cost J fare with another airline (in a different alliance), then surely its something to consider.

M
Can I quote you on that when you're sat in GF T5?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teledude
Can I quote you on that when you're sat in GF T5?
Haha of course!

Travelling with my little one is much easier in GF than the CCR, and while I'll be sad to lose the access, GF is a pretty decent substitute.

M
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
One thing you could consider:

As long as you are flying J or F, the status doesn't really do a huge amount when you fly, i.e. you get the lounge access anyway, and with a lot of airlines you get to choose the seat free of charge (except for some 'premium' ones, but they may even be blocked for their own status ones), and you don't have to queue in a long Y queue, and where available you get the priority security.

You get some bonus miles with status, but with a lot of airlines only give you a pesky amount of extra miles.
You might get some extra reward availability but quite a few airlines restrict that to their own members, and not make it available alliance-wide.

The real savings in travel actually come with hotel status (e.g. free breakfasts) IMO, more so in some ways than with flying.

If you want solid benefits, I'd recommend spending extra money on hotel statuses
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:32 am

Luckily I only had to do the TP run stuff for about 2.5 years, after I retired and before I got to LTG. (While I was working it wasn’t necessary, since I re-qualified for Gold easily every year.) My friends and family got quite a kick of my various insane routings during that period!
Indeed, I agree. The one other thing to consider is Avios (or other FFP) earning. Being Gold and flying OW gets you that extra slug of Avios, if you are interested in continuing to collect them. If you fly another airline where you do not have status, you might be giving up the opportunity for earning the extra points, or be crediting points to a program where you might not ever get enough points to be usable for your purposes. YMMV here of course. (I have not credited a single point to BA since I achieved LTG...these days they are all going to AAdvantage.)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What are the OP's current travel patterns and is he/she still traveling extensively for business?

Even if lifetime GGL is impossible, it might be worth earning it during the next several years.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass

Try the LHR number on this page https://flyasiana.com/C/GB/EN/conten...02220000728520
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
One thing you could consider:

As long as you are flying J or F, the status doesn't really do a huge amount when you fly, i.e. you get the lounge access anyway, and with a lot of airlines you get to choose the seat free of charge (except for some 'premium' ones, but they may even be blocked for their own status ones), and you don't have to queue in a long Y queue, and where available you get the priority security.

You get some bonus miles with status, but with a lot of airlines only give you a pesky amount of extra miles.
You might get some extra reward availability but quite a few airlines restrict that to their own members, and not make it available alliance-wide.

The real savings in travel actually come with hotel status (e.g. free breakfasts) IMO, more so in some ways than with flying.

If you want solid benefits, I'd recommend spending extra money on hotel statuses
The issue with hotels, is that my other-half hates big name hotels - so the desire of an upgraded Hilton room, and a cookie, doesnt appeal to her !

Originally Posted by travelmad478

Luckily I only had to do the TP run stuff for about 2.5 years, after I retired and before I got to LTG. (While I was working it wasn’t necessary, since I re-qualified for Gold easily every year.) My friends and family got quite a kick of my various insane routings during that period!

Indeed, I agree. The one other thing to consider is Avios (or other FFP) earning. Being Gold and flying OW gets you that extra slug of Avios, if you are interested in continuing to collect them. If you fly another airline where you do not have status, you might be giving up the opportunity for earning the extra points, or be crediting points to a program where you might not ever get enough points to be usable for your purposes. YMMV here of course. (I have not credited a single point to BA since I achieved LTG...these days they are all going to AAdvantage.)
That's something I hadn't considered (my bolding), and a very good point.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What are the OP's current travel patterns and is he/she still traveling extensively for business?

Even if lifetime GGL is impossible, it might be worth earning it during the next several years.
I'm flying far less for business nowadays, and I'm genuinely pleased! However, it does mean that hitting GGL for Life is too much of a stretch for me.

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Brilliant! Many thanks!

M
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've managed to hit Gold For Life due to some rather manic flying for work over the past 4.5 years. Big woop, and I expect a trumpet salute when I next travel through LHR.
Congrats! I am a matter of months away (just hit 34k LTTPs) so I will be reading these responses with interest
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:37 am

msm, I had the same thoughts about two years ago when I achieved GfL and, because I had just retired and stopped travelling very much, I had no chance of getting GGLfL.

There are some good suggestions above, but some of my key thoughts were:

One of my regular routes is MAD > ABZ. LH stopped flying to ABZ; avoiding AF and the CDG zoo was a no-brainer. KLM via Schiphol is no picnic either. The T5 transfer experience is pretty straightforward, so I keep going BA or IB.

As I now fly on my own Euro, I usually book Y and using another airline or alliance would not give me the benefits of fast track, lounge access, etc.

When researching travel I always check pricing. Sometimes BA/IB win, sometimes they don't. Last year I used AF/KL for a USA trip - notwithstanding my comments above - they simply beat BA on price. I was looking for a trip in J to Asia next year and the ME3 all came in around the same - then BA came in 20% less, so I booked with BA.

Keep in mind that if you book with BA in CW, you might (might!) be in line for an upgrade to F - when travelling on business my success rate was probably 33%.

I think a little bit of loyalty to BA can pay off - I don't know how it all works in the background, but I've had a few IROPS recently and they fixed it very quickly and smoothly.

Horses for courses, of course.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

(A pedant note for some: In BA it is called 'Gold for LIfe', not Lifetime Gold.)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Congrats! I am a matter of months away (just hit 34k LTTPs) so I will be reading these responses with interest
Haha! An early welcome to the club, from it's newest member!

Originally Posted by Lost-in-Space
msm, I had the same thoughts about two years ago when I achieved GfL and, because I had just retired and stopped travelling very much, I had no chance of getting GGLfL.

There are some good suggestions above, but some of my key thoughts were:

One of my regular routes is MAD > ABZ. LH stopped flying to ABZ; avoiding AF and the CDG zoo was a no-brainer. KLM via Schiphol is no picnic either. The T5 transfer experience is pretty straightforward, so I keep going BA or IB.

As I now fly on my own Euro, I usually book Y and using another airline or alliance would not give me the benefits of fast track, lounge access, etc.

When researching travel I always check pricing. Sometimes BA/IB win, sometimes they don't. Last year I used AF/KL for a USA trip - notwithstanding my comments above - they simply beat BA on price. I was looking for a trip in J to Asia next year and the ME3 all came in around the same - then BA came in 20% less, so I booked with BA.

Keep in mind that if you book with BA in CW, you might (might!) be in line for an upgrade to F - when travelling on business my success rate was probably 33%.

I think a little bit of loyalty to BA can pay off - I don't know how it all works in the background, but I've had a few IROPS recently and they fixed it very quickly and smoothly.

Horses for courses, of course.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

(A pedant note for some: In BA it is called 'Gold for LIfe', not Lifetime Gold.)
Good advice, and definitely sounds like a similar mentality to mine.

Like you, I'll fly BA when it suits and when the price works - but I'll be much happier to not pay through the nose, just to hit the TP target.

M
ThatT1Feeling likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.