Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Go-around... how frequently does this happen?

Go-around... how frequently does this happen?

Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bankops
LHR has been using TBS since 2015 but this only has distance impacts during high wind situations. So unless TBS operations were being conducted at that time AND there were high winds, 2.5nm remains the correct distance between the a/c.
To add to LHRATCO's post.......

TBS operations are always being conducted at LHR, unless there's been a system failure or we've just swapped runways (the systems needs a few arrivals to come down the approach before it 'learns' what the wind is doing). If the headwind component is less than 5kts, or greater than 6kts, there will be distance impacts.

TBS only applies to pairs of aircraft that require wake turbulence separation. the 2.5nm separation you cite is the minimum radar separation, that applies to aircraft pairs that do not require wake separation. Aircraft can be closer together than 2.5nm, with the caveats cited by LHRATCO.

To answer the OP, over the last 2 years the average number of missed approaches at LHR is 1.3 per day.
steve170461 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Once experienced an aborted landing at DAR on an EK 777 in the middle of a tropical rain storm. After descending trough the storm in the worst turbulence I've ever experienced, we got to what seemed a few meters above the runway when a gust of wind pushed the aircraft so far to the side that the tip of the left wing cannot have been many meters from hitting the ground. I was properly about to s**t my pants.
Pilot probably had the whole thing under control. But certainly didn't help much in that moment, when you feel the entire plane tilt to the side and look straight down in the ground through your window. When we landed about 25min later, I was told our aircraft was third plane in a row to abort the landing right above the runway.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:17 pm

The taxiway that's closed at the moment is in Block 21 Outer (in old money....how many of you remember that?) or exit A9W and A9E in new money.

When we are landing 27R, A9E is open. It's closed when 27R is being used for departures, or 09L for arrivals.

I do love a good go-around. Flying is the only form of public transport where if you start screaming, others join in. On buses or trains, the other passengers just look at you as if you're crazy.........
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:28 pm

One at SFO a few months ago. Pilot announced on the PA it was due to an aircraft on the runway, but afterwards I listened to Live ATC and when ATC asked the reason they said it was because they were too high. Hmm...
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Goaguy
Once experienced an aborted landing at DAR on an EK 777 in the middle of a tropical rain storm. After descending trough the storm in the worst turbulence I've ever experienced, we got to what seemed a few meters above the runway when a gust of wind pushed the aircraft so far to the side that the tip of the left wing cannot have been many meters from hitting the ground. I was properly about to s**t my pants.
Pilot probably had the whole thing under control. But certainly didn't help much in that moment, when you feel the entire plane tilt to the side and look straight down in the ground through your window. When we landed about 25min later, I was told our aircraft was third plane in a row to abort the landing right above the runway.
A perfect illustration of why, however much I fly ( which reasonably often), I never lose that sense of dread
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
One at SFO a few months ago. Pilot announced on the PA it was due to an aircraft on the runway, but afterwards I listened to Live ATC and when ATC asked the reason they said it was because they were too high. Hmm...
Scurrilous accusation!!!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Had my first one earlier this year at Salt Lake City- crosswinds that you could really feel on the first aborted attempt. After about half an hour spent in a subsequent holding pattern while the pilot and operations discussed whether to wait for the weather to clear in Utah or divert to Las Vegas, the second attempt at SLC was successful.

And then my husband had his second one at Detroit Metro on his very next trip, again weather and wind reasons.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: QF WP

Average a little over 50 (commercial) flights a year and can recall 2- one at LGW where a Ukrainian plane had lost a tyre on landing and thus was not able to vacate. One at Darwin during a storm. I thought it was great fun but I believe I was the only pax not screaming and vomiting. Interestingly Fr24 track seems to imply we stayed above 100m but i’m reasonably confident I felt the wheels touch the ground. Although it could have just been even bumpier than I gave credit for!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
After many years of flying, I have experienced this once on QR landing at AMS, IIRC.

Also, one rejected take off on BA at LGW.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Amex Platinum
I can watch from my living room (in Bedfont) the aircraft landing. (Its just to the right of my TV out the window ). I usually hear before looking to see an aircraft going up where it would normally be going down.

I remember a few years ago (so I hope I have this right) on a particularly windy morning (early between 6 and 7am) I watched a sequence of go rounds, six or eight in a row with one exception. The Sultan of Brunei's aircraft was the only one which landed in that sequence.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:11 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

And for people who think this is an everyday occurance for the pilots, there have been (at least) 3 fatal crashes in the last few years when the crew have messed up a go-around.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by zeitgeist
I can watch from my living room (in Bedfont) the aircraft landing. (Its just to the right of my TV out the window ). I usually hear before looking to see an aircraft going up where it would normally be going down.

I remember a few years ago (so I hope I have this right) on a particularly windy morning (early between 6 and 7am) I watched a sequence of go rounds, six or eight in a row with one exception. The Sultan of Brunei's aircraft was the only one which landed in that sequence.
This will be what you're referring to

zeitgeist likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:34 pm

For avoidance of doubt, and obviously without accusing anyone here, it's illegal to listen to, let alone and record UK ATC radio transmissions, unless licensed for the purpose, according to the Wireless Telegraphy Act
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
1 go-around into LHR and 1 aborted take-off out of MUC. Both on BA. Flying since 1969.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 in about 3500 flights - Air France at LHR, Indian Airways at MAA and BA at BRU. 1 weather, 2 slow clearing aircraft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.