Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Go-around... how frequently does this happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Had an eventful landing on the BA flight from LUX last night. The aircraft was on final approach on 09L and had passed T5 on the starboard side when the pilot revved up the engines for a go-around. Apparently there was an aircraft on the runway (as the pilot calmly announced as she completed the left turn).

Curious to hear from those who may know how frequently go-arounds occur (it's my second such event in 30 years of travelling).

Last edited by Yeoman5; Dec 12, 2018 at 6:08 am Reason: spelling correction
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
Had an eventful landing on the BA flight from LUX last night. The aircraft was on final approach on 09L and had passed T5 on the starboard side when the pilot revved up the engines for a go-around. Apparently there was an aircraft on the runway (as the pilot calmly announced as she completed the left turn).

Curious to hear from those who may know how frequently go-arounds occur (it's my second such even in 30 years of travelling).
As often as pilots think necessary to ensure a safe landing
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've never had one even with a good 20+ years of relatively regular flying. At least I wouldn't be concerned if it happened, based on what I have read in FT over the years.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Wikipedia, citing flightsafety.org, says 1-3 in every thousand approaches result in a go around
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
I've had 6 - twice into DUB (different flights), twice into SYD (same flight, eek), and twice into LCY (different flights). On my most recent LCY go around, I remarked to the crew member that I thought I'd had about 5 by that point, to which she replied that she'd been cabin crew for ten years and that had been her first!!

So, I guess the answer is they happen when they happen, and you may or may not be on board at the time!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I've never had one even with a good 20+ years of relatively regular flying. At least I wouldn't be concerned if it happened, based on what I have read in FT over the years.
Indeed. No one seemed phased by it apart from the person sitting next to my colleague who apparently gripped their seat tightly and stared, open mouthed, straight ahead for the remainder of the flight. The CC sitting by the front door spent most the next couple of minutes trying to identify the offending aircraft.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
My most recent was at ORD in July - just before touchdown the engines spooled up and round we went again. All quite smooth, though with quite a sharp right turn over the airfield as we climbed. Pilot later said it was due to a previous plane that was slow to vacate the runway.

I've had about four or five in thirty years of flying. It's a bit unnerving as my initial instinct is always to think there's something wrong with the plane, but it's always been the previous aircraft in my case.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
To answer the OP, I would say not that often, but often enough for it to be nothing particularly extraordinary. Traffic on runway (i.e. a/c not vacating quickly enough or taking off quickly enough) is pretty common.

I've experienced three go arounds. One was because of traffic on runway (on approach to LGW), one was a faulty indicator or warning light in the cockpit on approach and the crew wanted to go around to check to make sure everything was in order (we ended up making an uneventful landing- albeit it was foggy, which might have had something to do with it) and the best one was a touch and go at LCY, with the explanation being a changing wind direction- there's obviously not much room for error at LCY!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:16 am

I’ve had two, both due to cross/gusty winds - one at GIB recently and one at LTN a few years ago.

I think it’s not uncommon for weather. I would guess much less common for aircraft on the runway.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Wikipedia, citing flightsafety.org, says 1-3 in every thousand approaches result in a go around
Wow. I've had a fair few, and can count 3 in one year alone- Heathrow, Munich and Genoa. Mine is way more than the average.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
Definitely not that often at all, but when they happen it tends to be for traffic on runway or changeable weather conditions.

I had two last year, one at LHR on an A380 from MIA which went around just before touchdown due to the normal reason - previous aircraft not vacated runway. The other was at MEL on a QF 738 about 500ft up due to windshear. I've also had a 747 go around at LHR due to windshear in 2015.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I've only had one - landing LHR early morning from DXB - being in the E/F seats in CW on a 747 it was quite a strange experience as couldn't see out any windows but knew something unusual was going on !
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have had 4 out of 965 flights so quite rare.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Two, on same flight. EDI LCY, landed on third attempt.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
There is a slightly increased risk at LHR at the moment when using 09L particularly, but also somewhat 27R, due to the closure of large parts of taxiway A along the north side and a couple of runway exits.
steve170461 and OldFruity like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.