Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Go-around... how frequently does this happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Go-around... how frequently does this happen?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:41 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
A post or blog from a Heathrow ATC staff stated that there is on average 1 at LHR per day for various reasons. More on bad weather days.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
From a relatively low number of total flights (probably average less than 2 a year) I've experienced 2 go-arounds. One was Aer Lingus into Dublin with no reason stated (presume aircraft on runway) the other was far more "entertaining"....Coming back from GIB to LGW some inebriated guy would not sit down despite the repeated requests from cabin crew and rather stern PA from the captain advising that we would be going around if he did not sit down. Someone stood up to try and 'persuade' him to take his seat just as the captain throttled up so they both ended up in a heap at the back of the plane. Waiting for the old bill to board and take him away was not what I wanted at 10PM with a 2.5 hour drive home still to come!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
The question perhaps is not how often per passenger but how often per pilot... some stats suggest it's about one a year for a short-haul pilot and perhaps one every four years for long-haul. Although they are practiced in the simulator it's tricky to retain competence in something that is done so infrequently and is quite dynamic. As such go-arounds are not 'risk-free' and can be poorly executed. However, not going around is much worse so on balance a go-around is a good thing and if it didn't annoy the passengers we should probably do more of them.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
A few years ago we were on final approach to SFO (with BA). Landing gear was down, runway fast approaching. All of a sudden we pulled up and started to circle. Pilot announced that he had been advised by ATC that the runway was clear, but he could see a plane taxiing.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Shame it was recorded on a potato but you get the idea:

Originally Posted by Dubh
Mine is way more than the average.
Same here, I think I've had 6 that I can recall off the top of my head, so maybe more, (and I've not flown 6000 flights), including several at LHR and LGW, two airports that probably experience more than their average share of them.

Last edited by Fraser; Dec 12, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:14 am

I've had more go arounds than landings at Funchal
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
The CC sitting by the front door spent most the next couple of minutes trying to identify the offending aircraft.
AF1180 F-GRHO, according to FR24. You were following at just under 2½ (statute) miles behind, although I don't know whether that's closer than normal.

I did once watch an entirely predictable go-around from the T4 lounge when a cargo MD-11 seemed rather closer than usual to the 737 ahead of it. It was a perfect day, so the MD-11 crew just carried right on down to (presumably) their decision height (?50 feet), and then off they went around the circuit.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
... 965 flights ....
How do you know, can I ask? I have no idea how many flights I've taken in my life
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
How do you know, can I ask? I have no idea how many flights I've taken in my life
http://ba97.com/karfa
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I have had 4 out of 965 flights so quite rare.
1 out of 377.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I have too much time on my hands
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've had 3, plus 1 rejected take off
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I had 3 go-arounds on the same flight LAX-CLT last autumn. CLT had snow and poor visibility as well as strong winds variable in direction. The bad thing was that the pilot made no announcement until on the 4th approach and after the crew called him to say something after being approached by passengers. Before that I think I had only 2 previously, 1 in HAM, and 1 in DUB, both which are notorious for crosswinds.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just the one at MAN a few years ago. A turbo prop thrown about in bad weather and a cross wind on final approach. A couple of PAX were crying and throwing up. I guess they’ve never been to LUA. :-)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I have too much time on my hands
I can't believe I'm a 3-digit number ahead of you, given how much flying you do.

I can't remember how many go-arounds I've personally had, but I'm pretty sure it's in single digits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.