Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can (and will) BA stop you flying?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve had this happen once to me. I used a Swedish credit card flying to the US starting my trip from Denmark. Had to show my credit card to be allowed to check in.

I am sure it’s because the flight started from CPH... Never had that happen in Sweden or the US.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm puzzled how you managed to purchase the plane ticket with your credit card. Normally when I get new cards because the old one has expired, I must call to activate the new card when I have it physically in hand. In fact, doing this is much easier from a phone that's associated with my credit card, so that I tend to do this from a land line.
I do activate my cards. But you know many people don't, right? (sort of like checking out of hotels)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:32 am

Recognizing it's not the point of this thread, I believe the activate / don't activate issue is a distinction of UK-issued cards (at least, as compared to US-issued cards).

In the US we're accustomed to having to call in or log in to activate a new or replacement card. I have some cards issued by Lloyds Bank in the UK that I use when traveling and when I get a new card from them I've never had to activate it. In fact the paper that comes with the card specifically says no need to activate, just start using it in lieu of the expiring card.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled programming . . .
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
This happened to me once. I had a new CC waiting for me in London and was flying from TLV, on one of my first BA flights. I could not produce the CC. They asked if I had another and sent me to the ticketing desk where they just ran a check against the other card. One of these things where they try to bill you for just $1. After doing that and they saw it was OK everything was fine.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by mec72
There was a story of someone who couldn't produce the card at the airport recently on this forum and was offloaded from a flight. Was BA or IB in Spain if I recall correctly.
I think you are referring to this thread;
BA denied boarding - no compensation
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I once got asked this by check in agent flying from SOF-LHR but i had the card with me. I was more shocked that the staff working BA in SOF were actually following something they where supposed to do. (Don’t expect any status / ticket benefits like priority check in and boarding at SOF)

Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by BabbaWabba
Dunno how it works with your bank, but in the decades I've been with mine, and multiple card expirations and new ones being issued, not once have I ever had to call anyone and activate a new card.
My sister simply told me the pertinent details on my new card and that's that. Used it to buy stuff online with no issues from any other website.
Anyway, we're getting off the point.....
I don't have that new card with me

So, I think I'll give fedex a couple more days to sort their stuff out. After that, it seems like it might be a good idea to call BA and explain that my card is not with me.
But at this point, giving them a warning is no longer gonna be 'well in advance'
If it is anything like QRs check a photo of both sides of the card and printed statement with the charge on it and the matching number usually suffices I have never had to do this for BA though
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP has both the old expired cards with him, this is a non-issue. If he has only the new card and the card number has changed, that has nothing to do with the account itself and BA can verify the card in a few minutes by phone.

If OP will not be able to produce a valid card, that is when he should call BA and find an alternate means of verification.

All of this is done because it is the card issuer (bank) and merchange vendor (BA) which bear the fraud risk. So, they get to minimize it.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: BA
My workaround (may not be wise)

After a couple of times of being asked to produce the card and being unable to (which on neither occasion prevented me flying), I worked out that clicking the "Another person is paying" button during the booking process means that you are never asked to produce the card at the airport.

As a consequence, I habitually choose the 'another person is paying' button whenever booking, and then promptly use my own card details as the 'another person'. There may be some terrible consequence to this at some point, of course, though there has not been for the last few years of doing it. (If you wonder why I do not wish to produce the card, it is because I favour a slimmed-down wallet strategy.)

Last edited by Thomathy; Dec 12, 2018 at 11:42 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:08 pm

I've never had this happen to me in China but I got hit with this on a US-bought BOM-SIN-CGK ticket on SQ. I've heard similar stories of coworkers being told the same for travel ex-India; could be due to suspicions of CC fraud. In any case, they only want to verify the # at check-in, the agent will not be concerned if the card is expired.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: QF WP
OP was this a specific email you had asking you to bring your card?

i always thought that was written on every email they ever sent but rarely acted on. Although I just checked the only booking I have with BA and it doesn’t say anything of the sort so maybe not?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by nancypants
OP was this a specific email you had asking you to bring your card?

i always thought that was written on every email they ever sent but rarely acted on. Although I just checked the only booking I have with BA and it doesn’t say anything of the sort so maybe not?
Every e-ticket receipt emailed for a booking made direct with BA states this requirement if the person paying is travelling. It is very rarely acted upon, but is possible and BA is covered having put it pretty much at the very start of the email.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
happened twice for us. First one was an Avios booking T5 BA - agent was adamant to see the card. Second time, the agent didn't really care too much as we didn't have the card with us - she made a phone call and all was good within a few minutes.

so 2 times out of, say 700 flights last 6 years or so. Last time was about 4 years ago
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Twice. 20-plus years ago, VS on the return leg of a LHR/JFK trip. In the days of telephone travel agents, so not odd, to my mind.

More alarmingly, a couple of years ago at MXP, checking in for a one-way RFS MXP/LHR. Single ticket would be the only red flag (according to c-w-s's list). I say alarmingly because an intra-Europe one-way can't possibly be unusual.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Booking a ticket from China with a UK credit card is going to raise suspicions. This is pretty much exactly what data breach fraudsters would do. So I wouldn't be altogether confident you won't get checked. But a photocopy or scanned image of the card is enough - all they need is the long card number. It doesn't even need to be the same date/CVV as the card you booked with.

The check when it happens is impossible for the agent to override, I had enormous trouble at the start of a run between Munich and Shanghai on Sri Lankan who definitely do check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.