Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

To check or not to check, that is the question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Off to FRA from LBA via LHR on Friday for a long weekend away. For once I will only have my cabin sized wheelie case with me. Undecided where to check it in or not:

Pros of checking in
Not having to wheel it about all the time
No hassle with security and stowage onbioard

Cons of checking in
Waiting around at baggage reclaim
Remote chance of going astray

Question is do the pros outweigh the cons or vice-versa?

I am asking as this is the first time I have considered HBO

Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
This is really subjective. Different people will place different weightings on the pros and cons you have listed.

Do not expect a concensus. Just do whatever you prefer
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Off to FRA from LBA via LHR on Friday for a long weekend away. For once I will only have my cabin sized wheelie case with me. Undecided where to check it in or not:

Pros of checking in
Not having to wheel it about all the time
No hassle with security and stowage onbioard

Cons of checking in
Waiting around at baggage reclaim
Remote chance of going astray

Question is do the pros outweigh the cons or vice-versa?

I am asking as this is the first time I have considered HBO

I've done a couple of flights recently where all I had was my tablet. It makes a heck of a difference carrying next to nothing. No messing about at security, no fighting for locker space, and an extra glass of wine in the lounge (just board as the last person is going through).

By the time you've got to the baggage area, you bag will be there in 5-10 minutes anyway.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Only check a bag in extreme and unavoidable circumstances. For me that’s ski trips only.

I sometimes fly ‘hands free’ but only on day trips or B2B. I enjoy the experience of not faffing with liquids and laptops. but for me the hassle around waiting for bags isn’t worth it unless you know you’re at an airport with supremely fast baggage delivery (basically GVA or ZRH).

Carry it.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I agree it's a personal thing, HBO is not for everyone. All I would say though is it seems rare for dedicated HBOers to go back to checked luggage, and not so unusual for checkers to become HBOers.

Having said that, if it's security that is a big factor, why not go HBO outbound and checked on the way back? LBA is one of the best places to go through security in the UK, a million times better than that place over the hills. You then don't have security again at LHR, and you can be sure to have your bags with you in Germany. On the return, FRA airport seems twinned with MAN, so there is merit in reducing the load there, plus you are free to pop a bottle into your baggage if you see something nice. If the checked bag then gets delayed and doesn't arrive in LBA then they'll just deliver it within a few days, and that's almost a convenience, if it means you don't have to trundle off home with the bag.

If you do decide to go HBO just keep your wits about you, one of the reasons things get lost in LHR is because the passenger is doing something that they don't normally do and their mindset is in the wrong place.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:36 am

HBO whenever you possibly can, especially since you are on a weekend trip.

Typically, I can last for about 2-3 weeks on HBO if I pack smart, and know the climate conditions of the place(s) I am travelling to. It is more difficult to go HBO if you are somewhere that is currently in the depths of winter since they clothing requirement is different to somewhere in summer! That being said, I've just come back from a 7 week trip which I did have to check a bag since I was in multiple countries with multiple different climate conditions and had most of my (bulky) diving equipment with me - so even CWS would not have managed this specific trip on HBO
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I agree it's a personal thing, HBO is not for everyone. All I would say though is it seems rare for dedicated HBOers to go back to checked luggage, and not so unusual for checkers to become HBOers.

Having said that, if it's security that is a big factor, why not go HBO outbound and checked on the way back? LBA is one of the best places to go through security in the UK, a million times better than that place over the hills. You then don't have security again at LHR, and you can be sure to have your bags with you in Germany. On the return, FRA airport seems twinned with MAN, so there is merit in reducing the load there, plus you are free to pop a bottle into your baggage if you see something nice. If the checked bag then gets delayed and doesn't arrive in LBA then they'll just deliver it within a few days, and that's almost a convenience, if it means you don't have to trundle off home with the bag.

If you do decide to go HBO just keep your wits about you, one of the reasons things get lost in LHR is because the passenger is doing something that they don't normally do and their mindset is in the wrong place.
Good local knowledge CWS thanks, LBA security has always seemed pretty quick. I take your point re keeping an eye on your luggage, travel documents are my specialty in that respect.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Having recently had my rollaboard 'checked in' by Ryanair staff, It was quite relaxing just waiting to board till the last minute and not having any concern regarding overhead locker space or queuing up for 20 minutes (LBA-DUB so short flight with no need for laptops/iPads/kindles etc, my phone sufficed as entertainment for an hour).
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I do both depending how i feel, weight if bag, liquids, perishables...

if i am not one of the first few off the plane then i often find my bag is already on the belt by the time i get there. If not then its usually just a few minutea wait.

of course, occassionally i have to wait a while, worst has been off an ek flight at dxb
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Have no checked a bag in 10 years, 1 rollerboard and 1 small shoulder bage
does not matter if its a short 4 day trip or a week long.. somehow it always works
(and that goes for my wife also)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:51 am

I'm tending to check bags more often these days. Maybe I'm tempting fate but I rarely have to wait more than a few minutes for bags. Of course, we can each only go on our own experience but I just don't see the long waits often mentioned by HBOers. And I haven't 'lost' a bag in many years - although my personal record was losing the same bag twice on a single day. :grin: But I recognise that could change at any moment.

It's very cool to be unencumbered by baggage and I have a very light down jacket with remarkable pockets that can take a tablet, charger, travel docs and more so I don't always travel with a handbag. It's very liberating.

I'm happy to trade the ease of breezing through security, wandering on to the plane and just sitting down for a few minutes at baggage reclaim. Of course, if I have to carry certain things for work then I have no choice but to haul a bag on board, at which point also checking one becomes a bit pointless.

I also can manage multiple weeks on HBO but it's tedious wearing the same clothes over and I am definitely not interested in spending time finding laundry facilities or hand washing at my destination. If a hotel has laundry then fine, but ultimately I decided I'd rather travel free of baggage, have a choice of gear and wait a few minutes for a checked bag than spend multiples of that time during my trip organising clean clothes.

So in summary, it depends a bit but I do check bags more often than I used to.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
I usually check luggage when flying from FRA; the flight is usually full, it’s usually status heavy and security is just before the gate and does not live up to the stereotype of German efficiency. Most of my recent flights have also involved a bus to the aircraft so it’s great to get rid of the case even if it only a cabin sized wheels case.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Some good points here. I’m HBO all the way.

But I can see the appeal of extra lounge time, last minute to the gate.

The best ‘compromise’ I’ve seen is QF’s ‘premium hand luggage’. You hand it in at the plane door and it’s handed back to you at the plane door at the other end. No wait at the belt. Why can’t European airlines offer something similar?

When I flew QF round Aus, everyone gets free hold luggage and there was absolutely no issue with storage for HBO.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
The last time I checked a bag (it was for an RJ flight not on BA) it ended up in a bin of transfer bags instead of on the carousel. I did get it back, but it was an unpleasant hour.
i fly very frequently and don’t have time in my life to wait for bags after a flight. I only check when I have to (eg European carriers with 7-8 kg carryon weight restrictions, RJs where I can’t gatecheck and very long (over 2 weeks with more than 1 kind of climate or heavy weather gear), but having said that I just managed 15 days in London/Venice/Tokyo/Osaka with carryon only).
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
I recommend HBO for arrival in Kuwait. Delivery of checked baggage is usually painfully slow and the baggage area of the old (i.e. main) terminal is usually crowded, hot and stuffy. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.