Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

To check or not to check, that is the question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To check or not to check, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
95% of the time I'm HBO - a B&R roller and either a laptop bag or more casual laptop backpack. I love bypassing the carousel and exiting the terminal while others are still waiting. And, I never have to worry if I get stuck overnight at a connection or have to re-route for some reason. (One time I checked a bag to EWR I got stuck at ORD, had to stay in a hotel without my stuff, and was then re-routed to LGA. Had to schlep to EWR to collect the bag.)

I can't really do the no carry-on at all approach. I always travel with laptop, tablet, headphones, and charging gear and would never, ever check my laptop. Not even gate check. So, I'll always have some kind of hand luggage.

Having said that, I recently did a quick RT from AUS to TPE with just a backpack. It was quite liberating not dragging the roller around or hoisting it into overhead bins. B&R bags are built like tanks but are far from light. My backpack was reasonably full, but when it was on my back I barely noticed the weight. I enjoyed that, and am now trying to figure out if I can do the same for a short business trip with more formal clothing needs.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by fotographer
Have no checked a bag in 10 years, 1 rollerboard and 1 small shoulder bage
does not matter if its a short 4 day trip or a week long.. somehow it always works
(and that goes for my wife also)
How do you manage regional aircraft where all rollerboards will be checked no matter what?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by ckx2
How do you manage regional aircraft where all rollerboards will be checked no matter what?
My experience of regional aircraft is not that rollerboards are checked. What happens is the take the bags from you when you get to the aircraft then the are waiting for you as you disembark rather than them being on the carousel with the checked bags.

Wont help the op as you never see this on a 319, but if ba buys fly be and dash8s become the norm to lba then it would be if interest.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by southsquare
I recommend HBO for arrival in Kuwait. Delivery of checked baggage is usually painfully slow and the baggage area of the old (i.e. main) terminal is usually crowded, hot and stuffy. .
Very true!! HBO I would be in my apartment (25mins away) & showered before people had collected their bags!!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
HBO for me when on business trips. I travel as light as possible and often do 1 week+ trips to the US with very little. My rationale is that if I need anything that urgently, I can buy it (especially in the US!)
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:00 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
I am asking as this is the first time I have considered HBO
I would say try HBO out and see how it feels and works before, during and after the flight. Do it a few times, then you will know.

You will probably like the straightforwardness of HBO (skipping check-in, baggage claim, having your stuff with you at all times, no risk of it getting lost).

Probably the only worry you will have is having space to stow luggage on board, you will need to be early in boarding to find space (with status early boarding or just rushing in sooner), or fly business class ;-)

For security, pack your HBO bag so that the things you need to take out at security (liquid baggie, laptop, etc) are the first things you see when opening the bag, and security will be easy, too.

Warning: There is a real risk that you will find out you like going HBO and later may want to go HBO as often as you can ;-)
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
I wonder if an infrequent HBOer has wandered off the plane, forgetting that (on this occasion), they didn’t check their bag in - guess if you realise before you clear immigration, you are OK and can head back to the plane feeling a bit silly.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
I'm still trying to work out how to pack 6 bags of 32kg for our flight this week!

I suspect we will fail, especially as the S Class Merc picking us up seems to have a very small boot!!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by sahajesh
I wonder if an infrequent HBOer has wandered off the plane, forgetting that (on this occasion), they didn’t check their bag in - guess if you realise before you clear immigration, you are OK and can head back to the plane feeling a bit silly.
More the opposite problem of being HBO so often that one walks out the airport leaving their case going forlornly around the carousel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.