Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 A gates, it's a conspiracy.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I like to monitor the inbound a/c on FlightRadar24 to give an indication of which end of T5A or B/C to head to. One can then re-position to the north, south or B lounge and hope you’ve made the right call.
StormDog likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:06 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I had a run where my monthly flights to HAM were from either B or, mostly, C.

In normal circumstances I would have welcomed it - I like the solitude of the tunnels and a leg stretch before I fly - but I was singularly less than impressed when the gate only appeared on the South lounge display boards between T-35 and T-40 on two occasions, particularly as I still had half a glass of wine to finish at the time and had convinced myself that at such a late stage an A gate was pretty much nailed on!

In true FT fashion, of course, I made sure I consumed the alcohol before even considering making a move for the gate ...
I've had this a few times, and always make a point of getting one of the lounge receptionists to call the gate to tell them I'm coming - just in case I miss the first train etc.

M
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:09 am

I was certain that BA never use A gates for 747s and whilst chatting about this to the B gate lounge receptionist the other day, I glanced over her shoulder and noticed one parked there. Fortunately, whilst contemplating the walk back, she advised it was not the aircraft about to wiz me to DXB (apparently the NBO flight usually parks there. Amazed I had never noticed before).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pascoe
That's it? Presumably you're saying that getting back through the tunnel is straightforward but using the train less so, right?

For some reason in my head I thought it was more complicated and involved knowing which special door to go through etc....

Cheers
Once you've done the tunnels you'll never do the train again. I like the solitude, especially compared to the hectic mayhem of the 5A. Then there's the benefit of the leg stretch, and of course the warm glow that you somehow have special knowledge of the airport. One other benefit for the petty like myself, is as someone else once mentioned, you press the lift button and no one else checks, the lift then arrives downstairs and there's this short moment of confusion as the herd leaves the lift and realises it's not what they expected.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by dougzz
Once you've done the tunnels you'll never do the train again. I like the solitude, especially compared to the hectic mayhem of the 5A. Then there's the benefit of the leg stretch, and of course the warm glow that you somehow have special knowledge of the airport. One other benefit for the petty like myself, is as someone else once mentioned, you press the lift button and no one else checks, the lift then arrives downstairs and there's this short moment of confusion as the herd leaves the lift and realises it's not what they expected.
Last time I was first in the elevator and pressed both buttons so everybody got off at the train level while I continued to the walkway level . The solitude in the walkway is just the nice part, no need for fellow walkers at that moment.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by Foltan
Go straight to the B-gates lounge - it's much quieter and all of the A Gates will seem a similar distance from you...
I hadn't though of that. I usually have time to kill at Heathrow because I get there by train and leave extra time for when the trains mess up. Next time I'll give the tunnels and T5B a go, and remember not to catch the train back! Currently my next booked trip is in the new year from T3 so the tunnels may have to wait.

Edit: must learn to use multi-quote

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Poor Darling. Now you imagine doing that in high heels. Most of you seem to have difficulty managing to walk straight after festering in the Lounges never mind anything else.
I was good and abstained from any alcohol in the lounge today, it was before mid-day and I was wary of the withering looks and lecture I'd get from my teenage daughter (who knows everything about everything and more) if she got wind of my 'festering' at that time of day.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Last edited by SomersetCyder; Dec 10, 2018 at 10:19 am
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by TimDP
Last time I was first in the elevator and pressed both buttons so everybody got off at the train level while I continued to the walkway level . The solitude in the walkway is just the nice part, no need for fellow walkers at that moment.
I've been first in the lift, pressed -4 and then giggled as everyone else looked bemused as I wandered down the tunnel towards B gate. Most followed me... a real Pied Piper moment
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Poor Darling. Now you imagine doing that in high heels. Most of you seem to have difficulty managing to walk straight after festering in the Lounges never mind anything else.
Now why , in this day and age, do you assume he wasn’t in high heels. 😀
DVT likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:04 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I've had this a few times, and always make a point of getting one of the lounge receptionists to call the gate to tell them I'm coming - just in case I miss the first train etc.

M
What’s the train? 😉. I never get on it, preferring the certainty of the tunnels. Even leaving GF at T-40 I’m pretty sure I’d make the last boarding call given I walk at something approximating c-w-s pace. I’ve never bothered to ask the lounge to ring the gate - I’ve just made sure I got there sharpish, and usually ahead of stresed looking people arriving on the transit having taken the more obvious route.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I must admit I would be horrified at the DYKWIA implications of asking the CCR desk to ring the gate (though admittedly it happens a lot, which may or may not be a circular argument). As I tend to say in these situations, the point about hefty status is never needing to invoke it, "they" know who you are. Given the various rules on when boarding is complete and when they can turf people off flights for no-show then there really should never be an issue here, except in the obscure case of the very occasional use of B and C as bus gates. I'm sure our valiant Qatari Mod has actually not really needed to be concerned, I'm sure he would have been fine.

And what is this train thing?
NWIFlyer and msm2000uk like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965

It’s all part of BA’s “Health and Wellbeing” programme.
They copied it from Edinburgh Airport...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I must admit I would be horrified at the DYKWIA implications of asking the CCR desk to ring the gate (though admittedly it happens a lot, which may or may not be a circular argument). As I tend to say in these situations, the point about hefty status is never needing to invoke it, "they" know who you are. Given the various rules on when boarding is complete and when they can turf people off flights for no-show then there really should never be an issue here, except in the obscure case of the very occasional use of B and C as bus gates. I'm sure our valiant Qatari Mod has actually not really needed to be concerned, I'm sure he would have been fine.

And what is this train thing?
I don't do it all the time, but if I think I'll be cutting it fine, I get them to call - just in case.

Thankfully I'm yet to miss a flight, but I have had my name called out over the tannoy as they're about to close the gate!

M
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by twincheeks

Now why , in this day and age, do you assume he wasn’t in high heels. 😀
Cue more withering looks promptly followed by being disowned by teenage daughter.
twincheeks likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
ha. well aside from being sent to T5B on advice thats where it would depart from when it was T5A--i seem to run into the issue lately of the boards in the lounge showing BOARDING...only after a quick stop at the loo and exit the boards suddenly change to FINAL CALL.

of course when i arrive there is a massive queue and it definitely is not FINAL CALL. but the stress gets the heart rate and sweat going!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: VS Gold and a few more.....
Originally Posted by krispy84
I like to monitor the inbound a/c on FlightRadar24 to give an indication of which end of T5A or B/C to head to. One can then re-position to the north, south or B lounge and hope you’ve made the right call.
I do this also - Best tool to maximise lounge time and also avoid the need for any last minute dashes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.