Search

Any way to use GUF2/GUF1 to AKL/

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Any way to use GUF2/GUF1 to AKL/

Hi all

I've read the various posts, and I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.

I have a GUF2 expiring in April, and two GUF1 expiring in June. Out of the blue, my other half has suggested a trip to New Zealand. I recall that GUF can only be used on BA metal, so wouldn't be eligible for any QR or CX connections. I had resigned myself to losing these GUF but now I'm having a rethink.

Is there any viable way to use these vouchers to our benefit? Perhaps a return to LAX or SIN and then combined with a OW flight onto AKL? Maybe I'm over-complicating?

I'm about to qualify for another GUF2 this week (which, crazily, is my 100th flight of the calendar year) but it seems a shame to let these lapse.

Many thanks

Jim
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Why not use the GUF2 all the way to Sydney and then take a separate flight to NZ. That's what we did last time around. You may need a joker to find availability.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks golfmad, that's a useful tip. However I'm unlikely to reach 5000 this year (I've never reached it) so I've no jokers.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
But you can use a GUF2 with a friendly travel agent like Propeller Travel as long as there is availability in the lowest revenue class I’m the cabin you want to travel in.

KUL or HKG might also work for avios onward connections.
Filthy Monkey likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If you book direct with ba you are fine using the guf onanitinerary with non ba operated segments though only the ba oped ones will be upgraded. So e.g book lhr-akl via HKG on a ba through fare but with the HKG-akl operated by nz and your lhr-HKG vv operated by ba will be upgraded as long as there is redemption space. You need to book direct through ba.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
If you book direct with ba you are fine using the guf onanitinerary with non ba operated segments though only the ba oped ones will be upgraded. So e.g book lhr-akl via HKG on a ba through fare but with the HKG-akl operated by nz and your lhr-HKG vv operated by ba will be upgraded as long as there is redemption space. You need to book direct through ba.
As you know, Propellor (other brands available) will also deal with GUFs with other airlines on the itinerary, albeit only obviously upgrading the BA bits as you say, with the addition of avoiding the need for redemption space.

OP, all is not lost.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, very useful replies, as always. I appreciate your time.

Jim

Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Schwann
As you know, Propellor (other brands available) will also deal with GUFs with other airlines on the itinerary, albeit only obviously upgrading the BA bits as you say, with the addition of avoiding the need for redemption space.
OP, all is not lost.
Actually, I did not know/think that was possible - I thought the trade off was TAs= no need for redemption but BA flights only, BA= need redemption space but any flights on the itinerary. I was certainly told by Amex that they could not use the GUF with flights coded on other airlines so glad if Propellor can.

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 9, 2018 at 11:49 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Actually, I did not think that was possible - I thought the trade off was TAs= no need for redemption but BA flights only, BA= need redemption space but any flights on the itinerary. I was certainly told by Amex that they could not use the GUF with flights coded on other airlines so glad if Propellor can.
Probably something that is not too widely discussed
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.