Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I’d Have Been Alright If It Wasn’t For You Pesky Kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I’ve been a member of the BAEC for 19 years. This time last year I had 4,000 lifetime tier points (yes bisonrav that was over 18 years not 18 weeks!) and I’d made the dizzy highlights of silver twice and had been bronze 4 or 5 times.

Last October to mark a major birthday I got a great deal and flew F to AUH going from 0 to 500 tier points in one go (I’m EDI based). Then, earlier this year I found Flyer Talk and thanks to the collective wisdom of this community latched on to some excellent value ex-INV flights booking the summer holiday from INV to ORD (me in F and Mrs R.O.U.S and 2 x r.o.u.s in CW).

Having gained 1,000 TPs in two trips and enjoyed F flights on 789, 380 and 747 aircraft you can probably see where this is going.

At the moment my travel is exclusively for leisure so silver status is useful for booking seats, fast track and lounge access. Gold is totally pointless but I’ve enjoyed the flying and wanted to see what a TP run was like.

So I headed to PDX. To prove that I’m not a true TP runner I committed 3 major sins. Firstly I flew EDI-LHR-JFK-LAX-PDX-ORD-LHR-EDI for 580 TPs as opposed to maximising at 720. Secondly, rather than going there for a few hours I went for a long weekend and spent 21 hours in NY on the way and 20 hours in Chicago on the way back at no extra flight cost and finally I checked a bag (hangs head in shame).

This made no financial sense but I really enjoyed it and got, amongst other things, to try out 64K on the 747 UD, Flagship lounges at JFK, LAX and ORD, AA1 (not quite the same as BA1), the AA 788 in 5C (to avoid the “motion over the ocean”) etc.

So I’ll be gold until the end of Nov 19 and then silver for another year. Much more effective to get the 465 TPs for 2 years of benefits than being silver for one year and having to get 600 TPs next year to maintain!?

As you’d expect, Mrs R.O.U.S is much more sensible. She was on 525 TP after the ORD trip so a weekend in London with her in CE (and me in the exit row in Y) got her to 605 TP with 3 days to spare.

Now I need to stay away from the TP run thread or at least wait until mid-October next year (or the year after) to get TPs early in the membership year to effectively get two years of benefits in one hit.

Thank you all (I think).
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Welcome to FlyerTalk @R.O.U.S. and to the wonderful world of the binge frequent flyer. It’s good to see you here. Now that you’ve broken your duck I hope to see more of you within the forum especially so as you feed your hunger for travel.

Welcome aboard ^
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I misread the thread title and thought it was yet another moan about annoying kids in BA premium cabins.

Come to think about it I wasn't far off course.
icegreen, wrp96, tapuach and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Welcome! Just be aware that airline status is a bit like heroin - once you get there, it's hard to kick the habit. Given you're already on FT, I bet a glass of Castlenau that you'll be working on requalifying soon...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
............ I bet a glass of Castlenau that you'll be working on requalifying soon...
Castelnau ..... ??

You’re not exactly risking much there
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Gold is totally pointless? Lets see if you feel the same in 6 months time when you've enjoyed the First Wing, Flounge and Group One a few times and are eyeing up that tier point run thread once again

You might even get a awkward onboard welcome from someone with an ipad once or twice if you are really lucky! That stuff is like crack to some people.
T8191, firstlight and FrogTastic like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Welcome! Just be aware that airline status is a bit like heroin - once you get there, it's hard to kick the habit. Given you're already on FT, I bet a glass of Castlenau that you'll be working on requalifying soon...
Not a bet I’m willing to take particularly as I’m not a fan of champagne.

Of course FT has also swayed me on this front. On my first F trip I declined champagne as I always would. However, I’d seen so many posts on LPGS and was naturally curious so when I was in the CCR this summer I had a small glass with lunch and then another on boarding prior to switching to some red.

I was unable to repeat on the return leg as they only had Castlenau!

This forum really should come with a health warning not only am I hooked on the TP run thread but you’re also changing my drinking habits.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by R.O.U.S

Not a bet I’m willing to take particularly as I’m not a fan of champagne.

Of course FT has also swayed me on this front. On my first F trip I declined champagne as I always would. However, I’d seen so many posts on LPGS and was naturally curious so when I was in the CCR this summer I had a small glass with lunch and then another on boarding prior to switching to some red.

I was unable to repeat on the return leg as they only had Castlenau!

This forum really should come with a health warning not only am I hooked on the TP run thread but you’re also changing my drinking habits.
Go to the pub with KARFA. Your life wont be the same after
tridztan likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Like the OP, I too caught the flying bug, and with the assistance of FlyerTalk, the many oracles both on-board and on the board (see what I did there), my status has just ticked over to gold as of this morning, my first time at the top tier (and naturally, any future CE trips have just been seat shifted to 1A where possible!)

I too would have normally stopped at Silver, but overshot it by a large margin and decided to keep going.

My problem now, is that I still have an ex-JER trip to MLA booked in February, plus the GIB 'DO' trip in March, and my TP count (1510) doesn't run out until July 2019 - Gold between 7th September and 11th December and all in Europe - and I'm having second thoughts whether to do a few trips next year to try for 2500 (620 points short)?

Only one trip booked after my year ends - the Sweden - Babybus trip (link here) - but early days yet.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by mtikky
my first time at the top tier
Don't despair - there's lots to come. GUF2, GUF1, GGL, CCR, GfL, GGLfL. After you go North of 100k lifetime tier points the air gets a bit thin, but that's when you should aim to get a 5* HON on the side....
mtikky likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Don't despair - there's lots to come. GUF2, GUF1, GGL, CCR, GfL, GGLfL. After you go North of 100k lifetime tier points the air gets a bit thin, but that's when you should aim to get a 5* HON on the side....
That's what I'm worried about Annoyingly I am only going to be 600 odd points of the GUF2 benchmark this year.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Having a quiet giggle through this thread with a glass of port in hand... so I thought (tops up glass...) I would add my two pennorth.

I saw the benefits of Silver after a couple of (to/from cruise) long hauls in 2015 - made that with FT help in 2015-16.

Then with the help of some ex-SOF Qatar fares made Gold in 2016-17. (Wife said 'Singapore for 2 days, you must be joking' - she came as far as SOF)

Now with a PHL ex-OTP, JFK ex-DUB and the Qatar MAN-AKL fare plus a couple of others booked, we're (both) on track for a GUF2.

Yes, the whole thing is addictive
mtikky likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tocsin
Yes, the whole thing is addictive
A hobby for those who only fly for leisure purposes I guess?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by HIDDY
A hobby for those who only fly for leisure purposes I guess?
Entirely Like UncleT we retired early, our kids are (mostly) independent and the world is ours to explore before the travel insurance becomes prohibitive!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tocsin
Entirely Like UncleT we retired early, our kids are (mostly) independent and the world is ours to explore before the travel insurance becomes prohibitive!
Good for you and the missus. ^

I prefer to live the status game through the experience of others on this forum....which suits me fine as it costs me nothing and I get to sleep in my own bed.
The only place I have any desire to fly to nowadays is GLA/EDI preferably by the quickest possible routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.