FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Daily Telegraph Travel Awards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1944806-daily-telegraph-travel-awards.html)

TheOldMan Dec 9, 2018 4:16 am

Daily Telegraph Travel Awards

Best long haul airline was Singapore (what a surprise) followed by Emirates and Air New Zealand. BA was 31 out of 50.
Best short haul airline was Swiss followed by Icelandair and Jet2.com. BA was 10 out of 25.

lhrpete Dec 9, 2018 5:54 am

I'm not surprised but in recent times I think SQ is losing its polish. I've done eight sectors over the last three months in business and the best I can say of them is that they were lacklustre with disinterested crew and mediocre food. For me they are now way below Qatar.

rossmacd Dec 9, 2018 6:20 am

Originally Posted by lhrpete (Post 30515179)
I'm not surprised but in recent times I think SQ is losing its polish. I've done eight sectors over the last three months in business and the best I can say of them is that they were lacklustre with disinterested crew and mediocre food. For me they are now way below Qatar.

Interesting you say that about SQ. I've done 4 J sectors in the last month with them (2 shorthaul, 2 longhaul). The food was excellent in my opinion - better than BA F on the longhauls without a doubt - and the service generally very good (except on one of the shorthaul sectors, where my drink order was forgotten twice and a couple of other mishaps). This was a poor member of crew on my side of the cabin, and once pointed out to the CSD/M equivalent, it was rectified immediately, and an email apology was received the following day (now that is good service). I also got a phone call 3 days before the flight advising one of the shorthaul sectors had changed equipment (it was a 2hr flight so I wasn't exactly bothered, but can you imagine being called by BA in similar circumstances?). As for their A350 J seating, great for sleeping on a night flight, very poor for lounging for a day flight.

orbitmic Dec 9, 2018 6:59 am

Icelandair and Jet2? AHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Raffles Dec 9, 2018 7:49 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 30515292)
Icelandair and Jet2? AHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Icelandair is bizarre but from my occasional visits to the world of drive-thru KFCs and other stuff not found in Chelsea, Jet2 seems well regarded.

Blueboys999 Dec 9, 2018 9:30 am

Perhaps it needs to be borne in mind that Jet2 offers direct flight from regional airports where BA does not so it comes as no surprise to me that many would choose a non stop flight with them over a journey requiring an often tiresome connection.

orbitmic Dec 9, 2018 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 30515401)
Icelandair is bizarre but from my occasional visits to the world of drive-thru KFCs and other stuff not found in Chelsea, Jet2 seems well regarded.

Having flown them a few times, I’ll admit I don’t share the enthusiasm though I agree with the point that their nonstop services from MAN, LBA etc will get them strong supporters as at least they exist, plus people often have very low expectations with low costs to start with, but for instance, in the category, I’d rate DY a lot higher. LS prices have also gone up a lot over the years.

tomparskate Dec 9, 2018 10:58 am

Its been a long time since I flew Jet2 and they were OK. Nothing special and it certainly wasn't very cheap after I had sorted out seat selection, luggage and everything else.

I think 31/50 is a bit harsh on British Airways, Yes they do have their issues but are getting better.

Best Longhaul I'm very surprised Qatar aren't there. Singapore Airlines are very good there is no denying it however personally I think QR are better

dulciusexasperis Dec 9, 2018 11:12 am

I flew Swiss from EDI to ZRH this past summer and was very impressed with the pilot. Here's why.

He came on the PA to apologize for a delay in departure. Someone had not done some necessary paperwork needed regarding our departure. It was apparently something that should have been done by a local company who handled such things for Swiss. I really don't remember the details so don't hold me to anything.

Anyway, the pilot announced there could be a longish delay. Then 15 minutes later he came back on the PA and announced we were ready to depart. He had physically got OFF the plane and gone and done the necessary paperwork himself. Our arrival time despite a 3/4 hour delay in departure, was ON TIME. He made up the time on the way by putting the 'pedal to the metal'.

While I appreciated what the pilot had done, somehow it just seemed to me that it is what you expect from any Swiss (not meaning the airline, meaning the country) transportation system. I once heard a Swiss train driver apologize on the in-train PA system that we would be TWO MINUTES late in departing as we were waiting for a connecting train that was delayed.

subject2load Dec 9, 2018 12:21 pm

Not strictly on topic ..... but since we’re on the subject of Daily Telegraph Travel Awards - and prompted by post #9 above - here’s another Telegraph piece, recounting in some detail what happened when a Japanese passenger train left the station twenty seconds ahead of scheduled departure

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...seconds-early/

lost_in_translation Dec 9, 2018 12:28 pm

Respectfully, some posters above have slightly missed the point!

This is a ranking of airlines by customer experience generally, not just their J products. The reason SQ is number one is because they have a great Y product (even if no one on FT ever flies in it!) as well as very good products across all of the other cabins. Yes, QR have a great J product but if you told me I had to fly Y on either SQ, EK or QR with no status, I'd be taking SQ, EK then QR in that order, so this ranking makes perfect sense to me.

corporate-wage-slave Dec 9, 2018 12:54 pm

The Jet2 aspect is interesting (and it is an airline I use, I think about a dozen flights so far in 2018). Almost all their staff are in-house (at NCL only the apron staff are not Jet2 employees), the staff and crew ratio is very high and they put a huge focus on face to face customer service. So most UK Jet2 locations are mini travel agents - they have multiple staff on hand to help you book your next holiday with hotels and car hire just before departure or after returning to the UK. Most staff - even some of the flight crew - wear big red badges saying "Can I Help You?". At check-in, for every agent behind a desk, there is another working the queue, checking paperwork, chatting to those waiting to be served. It's quite a family friendly vibe, which I suspect works well with the typical Telegraph demographic, which likes cheap fares, wants to go at sensible times to the usual European holiday destinations from their local airport, is OK with BoB, but is a bit put off by the brashness and professionalism of easyJet. Forget business class here, we're talking economy. Telegraph readers are less likely to be London based compared to other national newspapers.

Which brings me on to my nagging concern here: I'm a Telegraph reader (and a Guardian one too) and I suspect I travel more than most of their readers. And yet I've only travelled on a subset of airlines in their list. Has the Telegraph really got a load of readers with meaningful experiences of multiple airlines? Who have flown say twice on SIngapore and three times of Jet2? Or is some of this led by public reputation, adverts, word of mouth from friends and relatives? And is it truly relative to other airlines, or in absolute terms (in which case calibration is very difficult)?

FlyerTalker39574 Dec 9, 2018 1:58 pm

Aren’t Telegraph readers aware of what Jet2 did to Mr Huzar and his family?

EuropeanPete Dec 9, 2018 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30516231)
Which brings me on to my nagging concern here: I'm a Telegraph reader (and a Guardian one too) and I suspect I travel more than most of their readers

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that I think that might be an accurate supposition.

HIDDY Dec 9, 2018 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30516231)
Which brings me on to my nagging concern here: I'm a Telegraph reader (and a Guardian one too) and I suspect I travel more than most of their readers. And yet I've only travelled on a subset of airlines in their list. Has the Telegraph really got a load of readers with meaningful experiences of multiple airlines? Who have flown say twice on SIngapore and three times of Jet2? Or is some of this led by public reputation, adverts, word of mouth from friends and relatives? And is it truly relative to other airlines, or in absolute terms (in which case calibration is very difficult)?

I suspect the ''Last chance to win one of 20 luxury holidays worth a total of more than £500,000'' adverts attracted many non Telegraph reading participants to take part in the survey.