Trying to get best deal in J to Sydney

Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by blawson
I am looking to go to Sydney next October/November - hopefully in J. Probably leave in the last 2 weeks of October for 3 week trip.

They cheapest "deal" at the moment i can find is approx 2150 out of Oslo or Stockholm on Qatar which i quite fancy.

Is that a "good" price? We will be starting the trip in Edinburgh - any other options people have used/recommend?

Anyone know if these prices allow for a couple of days stop over?
when QR have sales its often only on some flights. In the end its worth what you think it is worth paying... and only you know that.

three pieces of advice though.

check the QR aircraft type carefully. In J the 787 and 350 and 380 are good. (The 350-1000 have Q suites, some 350-900 also do) There should be no A330 on any sector from Stockholm or to Sydney but those are best avoided, as are 777 operated flights. Some might be Q suite but many are not for the 777.

on timing the QR evening arrival into Sydney (or for that matter QR or JL into Melbourne) is much better for jet lag than the double overnights and v early arrivals. (Immigration also less of a zoo and no waiting for the hotel room for 8 hours).

on your connection- Stockholm can have snowstorms from October onwards and early ones even catch Swedes out. Dont rely on a 90 minute off BA then onto QR connection on different tickets. Maybe even overnight in Stockholm- not just the airport Clarion hotel- its a great city.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by LCY8737

Would agree that SQ is not what it used to be, but at least you can be sure of an excellent hard product (where QR is a bit of a lottery). And the SQ crews are consistently good and experienced, whereas QR again is a bit of a lottery.
Again, I would disagree. The hard product is fine as a flat bed and terrible as a seat. Far too wide, far too hard and a 45 degree angle on the leg rest is of no used to anyone. The newest seats on the A380 go beyond privacy for me and are claustrophobic. The recent SQ crews were consistent, they were disinterested, lack lustre, robotic and inflexible. QR crews are maybe not quite so well trained but they are interested and try hard to accomodate exactly what you want.

Even as an LPPS member it will be a long time before I set foot on SQ again.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by lhrpete
Have you looked at Singapore Airlines out of Stockholm? Their fares from there are often very competitive. That said, IMO they have fallen far below Qatar for service these days.
Just remember that the SQ flight from ARN to SIN have a stop in Russia on the way to Singapore
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by TravelManBiz

Just remember that the SQ flight from ARN to SIN have a stop in Russia on the way to Singapore
SQ sell a codeshare with SAS that connects onto the 77W from Copenhagen, so Moscow can be avoided - especially important for sleeping on the way back (and avoiding Russians maximising the free beverages).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.