Wiki Posts
Search

AUP SIN LHR tonight 9 Dec

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
AUP SIN LHR tonight 9 Dec

Hi all. Urgent question: flying SYD-SIN-LHR-CDG tonight where I will change from BA16 to BA12 in SIN. On a B class Y ticket.
I would like to AUP upgrade from Y to J for the SIN to LHR. Is that possible today? (Done it once on LHR to JNB). If yes how much would that cost? Can it be done in Sydney?

thanks
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:47 pm

There are 9+ J seats available, so it may be available, though not sure they always offer "double" upgrades... I'm not sure if Sydney are going to be able to do it though but the BA lounge would be able to assist once you get to Singapore. Cost wise if it can be done it isn't going to be cheap - best guess would be SGD1500-2000

Let us know what happens!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
There are 9+ J seats available, so it may be available, though not sure they always offer "double" upgrades... I'm not sure if Sydney are going to be able to do it though but the BA lounge would be able to assist once you get to Singapore. Cost wise if it can be done it isn't going to be cheap - best guess would be SGD1500-2000

Let us know what happens!
thanks. So you were right. Just checked in in Sydney and they said i would have to ask in Singapore. Will keep you posted. Meanwhile I am off to the Qantas First lounge. I am looking forward to that as their lounges are great after having only experienced theIR LHR T3 lounge.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also if you do get a price for your airport upgrade in SIN be sure to post in the airport upgrade thread to help others in the future:
Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2018 thread
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Also if you do get a price for your airport upgrade in SIN be sure to post in the airport upgrade thread to help others in the future:
Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2018 thread
a quick update on this: no AUP when I asked in SIN. Not very disappointed in a way: I saved money that could be used another time.

Just a fee comments on the trip:
• BA16 SYD-SIN operated by a G-STBB 773: the area around my seat was dirty with food leftovers from previous flight (surprising as the plane sits most of the day in SYD), wifi didn’t work even though CC boasted about the aircraft having wifi and I was personally greated by a CC which is a first on BA. The food was average especially the second service with a huge sandwich with little chicken mayo filling. The IFE sceen kept on freezing and reboot didn’t help. All in all nothing to do with the CX HKG-BNE service 1 week ago. 2 real meal runs with proper menus and plenty of choices. Food was excellent as well as IFE with live TV and working wifi.
• BA16 SIN-LHR on G-XLEK. Cabin clean and food excellent. I guess because it is catered in SIN. No Wifi. Older male cabin crew manning my section was a but in a hurry to finish the meal service asap. He literally through the pretzel bag from the aisle. Thank yous ignored. My neighbour was taking his time to eat and the FA tried twice to take his tray even though the poor guy didn’t finish eating.
• BA304 this morning. BoB service ignored.

So another average to poor service in Y from BA which is a notm nowadays. After my CPT debacle earlier this month and this trip, I am happz to go back to AF for my next trip to HKG again. And with AF, upgrades are easier managed using the AF app even with TA tickets and bith with miles and cash.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BA6948
So another average to poor service in Y from BA which is a notm nowadays. After my CPT debacle earlier this month and this trip, I am happz to go back to AF for my next trip to HKG again. And with AF, upgrades are easier managed using the AF app even with TA tickets and bith with miles and cash.
Yet you keep booking BA...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
yes I do as AF and Skyteam do not always work (schedule and price).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6948

Thank yous ignored.
Do you mean the FA didn’t say “you’re welcome” or similar? Don’t know if you’re British or whether you’re fully accustomed to UK culture or not but we don’t typically say it frequently in the UK. Certainly not like our friends in the US.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
More like yet you keep on booking Y.

If if you want service, pay for J/F
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Will100

One of the best service experiences I've ever had was on QF2 in Y. Cheerful, pleasant, attentive, nothing too much trouble. I've also had bad service in J on SQ, QF and BA. But great service in Y on them all too!

So no, service standard is not dependent on cabin. It's dependent on crew.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

count me too as someone who thinks some of my best ever experiences service-wise have been in Y! To be honest I think that sometimes crew find it easier to be themselves without fear of being judged or frowned at inY. Some Y flights are horrid service wise but when you’re in luck they can be spectacular!!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:11 am

So Y pax are not entitled to any service? Seriously?

I fly Y quite a bit, and am pleased to report that service there is alive and well on quite a few airlines in my experience.
BA6948 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:14 am
Original Poster

oh come on!!! Is this really what you have to say?! Quite elitist! I am not super rich to book F/J nor does my company allow it. I do book J only once a year for Christmas to go and see family in Hong Kong when the price is reasonable (under €1500). Done it with RJ the last 3 years and now AF.

Good service can still be provided in Y and there are thank God many airlines that still do care about their Y passengers.
NoY likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Seems I ruffled some feathers, not my intention.

Point taken.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann

Do you mean the FA didn’t say “you’re welcome” or similar? Don’t know if you’re British or whether you’re fully accustomed to UK culture or not but we don’t typically say it frequently in the UK. Certainly not like our friends in the US.
I don’t know it is just a feeling with that particular FA. He was very procedural and robotic. Whenever I said thank you ge just turned his head and moved to the next customer. Didn’t have the same feeling with the other FAs. Even if they didn’t say you’re welcome, the body language was friendlier and somehow acknowledged my thank yous.
NoY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.