Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Booking Flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Help Booking Flight

Hi, sorry I know this has probably been asked a bunch of times. I have some points accumulated and but I am a complete novice when it comes to maximizing them. I looked at the sticky but there is a lot of information and I need to book this last minute.

I am looking for a flight from YYZ to AMD around second week of January and returning around second week of February. I have about 35000 Avios points along with about 50000 Aeroplan points. A family member also has about 25000 Aeroplan points. I was thinking of posting this in the Aeroplan forum as well but I am not sure if I should cross-post.

I tried looking for flights through British Airways but it said there is nothing available all the way to AMD. I then looked for a flight to LHR, but the taxes along with all of my Avios points was almost $900.

It's similar with Aeroplan. It would be about 100000 points along with almost $700.

Is this because I am not looking far enough in advance? Sorry again, I am sure this has been asked. I am going through the sticky but thought I would ask as well because time is running out. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:13 am

I don't think BA fly to Ahmedabad on their own aircraft.

Perhaps try booking a cash ticket Toronto to Delhi? You could then use the avios points to reduce the cost of that, and with the money saved buy a local flight onwards.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Long haul economy is a poor value use of avios. You may well find it cheaper to buy a return cash ticket especially if you are using 2 one way redemptions.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Wouldn't be surprised if the OP means AMS - Amsterdam (rather than Ahmedabad)... but it's just about plausible that (s)he does mean that! Could you clarify for us OP?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice everybody.

stewardo, sorry I am not sure what you mean by booking cash ticket and then using Avios to reduce the cost. Can you elaborate?

highpeaklad, is long haul economy a poor use because of the taxes charged? Also, can you elaborate what you mean by 2 one way redemptions?

Cymro, I did mean Ahmedabad lol. Sorry I don't really know much about using points. I don't know if it is stupid to use points for such a flight.

One other thing I forgot to ask, is part of the reason because I don't have a lot of points? Would having say, 100000 points help in finding better flights and maximizing the value of the points?

Thank you again.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by vik123
stewardo, sorry I am not sure what you mean by booking cash ticket and then using Avios to reduce the cost. Can you elaborate?
This is when you book a regular ticket at BA.com while logged into your executive club account. At the payment stage you will be given the option to exchange various numbers of avios for a reduction in the ticket cost. It starts at 2000 avios for £20 and goes up.

There is an article summarising it all here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.