Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No more champagne - we’d have to open another bottle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more champagne - we’d have to open another bottle

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Originally Posted by BA1321
I’ve had the exact same happen to me out of PHL not long back. The crew member said all the champagne had run out but he’d be happy to bring me a glass after take off. I didn’t bother but it certainly irked me. Service was mediocre the rest of the flight too.
Wow, I would have been tempted to say "so you haven't run out then, have you?!" I have read the thread all the way through and I know there is talk of champagne for the ground and champagne for up in the air, but as a casual reader of this forum it always seems like BA are telling customers "no, sorry...".

However, they still get bums on seats!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by BAW2
Wow, I would have been tempted to say "so you haven't run out then, have you?!" I have read the thread all the way through and I know there is talk of champagne for the ground and champagne for up in the air, but as a casual reader of this forum it always seems like BA are telling customers "no, sorry...".

However, they still get bums on seats!
In this case, the crew may have actually have ‘run out’. From outstations, only limited supplies of champagne are available for use prior to takeoff because they have been duty paid. We will have more, but they cannot be access until we’re in the air. So when the crew member says they’ve ‘run out’ they mean they’ve run out of the duty paid champagne.

Ex-LON we can serve as much champagne as we like on the ground but it comes from the bars that we also need during the flight so stocks should be conserved to ensure there’s enough to go around for the entirety of the flight.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
That's true and I'm far from an expert on flight catering logistics and laws etc and I know we're all different. I wouldn't mind a quick reason given in the explanation from the cabin crew but then others wouldn't care I guess so it's difficult to balance/judge.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by MFCC

In this case, the crew may have actually have ‘run out’. From outstations, only limited supplies of champagne are available for use prior to takeoff because they have been duty paid. We will have more, but they cannot be access until we’re in the air. So when the crew member says they’ve ‘run out’ they mean they’ve run out of the duty paid champagne.

Ex-LON we can serve as much champagne as we like on the ground but it comes from the bars that we also need during the flight so stocks should be conserved to ensure there’s enough to go around for the entirety of the flight.
Why would you say "I would have to open another bottle" if you had run out?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Why not just open another bottle then offer the rest to others - sure there'd be enough takers to finish the bottle.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

This sort of reinforces my view that customer facing staff are often put into these awkward situations by staff behind the scenes who were are hidden from the customer.
You mean we hairy-a**sed practical types having to implement brain-dead ideas dreamt up by the pencil-neck MBAs at Head Office ?

I for one have never seen this in my entire career, not once, oh no
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:59 pm

Judging by the amount of times I have been offered flat, devoid of any life champagne in BA CW, I very much doubt they don't save opened bottles sometimes. Staff have admitted that the champagne offered had not been freshly opened on several flights.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Judging by the amount of times I have been offered flat, devoid of any life champagne in BA CW, I very much doubt they don't save opened bottles sometimes. Staff have admitted that the champagne offered had not been freshly opened on several flights.
Bollinger's.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
There was a thread not so long ago about staff re-pouring unused champagne glasses back in the bottle on a QR flight.
I think you will find your flat champagne comes from a bottle that was opened post takeoff, and then left opened for several hours, not from the pre takeoff bottles.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Bollinger's.
Can you spot a single bubble in this glass of champagne? Flat, warm and undrinkable. Does this happen on every flight? No. On certain routes, it has to me.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

There was a thread not so long ago about staff re-pouring unused champagne glasses back in the bottle on a QR flight.
I think you will find your flat champagne comes from a bottle that was opened post takeoff, and then left opened for several hours, not from the pre takeoff bottles.
No, it was not post takeoff. It was on the first flight of the day and staff admitted it was not freshly opened. These things happen. All the time? No.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Bollinger's.
Same to you too!

I'm reading this thread with wonder what to expect on my first TATL next year...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mtikky
Same to you too!

I'm reading this thread with wonder what to expect on my first TATL next year...
I hope you enjoy it. Just don't expect the earth to move for you.
mtikky likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MFCC
I'd be interested in how many bottles they are catering (apparently not enough!). In my example it was a 788 with a full Club cabin - I'm guessing only a couple of bottles? I wouldn't have minded being refused seconds, in my case I was refused firsts...
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:26 pm

Can you spot a single bubble in this glass of champagne? Flat, warm and undrinkable. Does this happen on every flight? No. On certain routes, it has to me.
Thats like 2x the amount in my last one. I wonder how low BA can go and still say you are getting a glass of champagne. Does 10% count? 5% haha.
AnaTravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.