Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No more champagne - we’d have to open another bottle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more champagne - we’d have to open another bottle

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:05 am

Threads like this remind that, as someone who rarely drinks alcohol while traveling, I'm way less likely to be upset while traveling.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
No pre-departure drinks at all on my side of the CW cabin on a recent flight from the US because "we don't have time". This is despite the other side of the cabin being served and a 25min taxi.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
You might have asked why the bottle is on board the aircraft then if not for opening.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Threads like this remind that, as someone who rarely drinks alcohol while traveling, I'm way less likely to be upset while traveling.
In which case, best not to look at (some of) the food-related threads ........

Airlines - and I certainly don’t mean just BA - can, at times, be pretty adept at upsetting passengers in various ways, not just where matters of alcohol are concerned.

But you’re right about lessening the odds, as it were. I’m on your wavelength, being a fairly light onboard drinker myself ; in fact, am more likely to ask for a green tea* than a glass of bubbly.

*(though when it comes to PDB’s, I only make such a request with certain carriers ....)
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:47 am

This is a difficult one. We have a finite supply of champagne onboard, especially on CPT where there is quite a heavy demand on wine and champagne in CW/F.
I expect the crew had already served the cabin with pre departure drinks, and the OP requested a top up which is perfectly within his or her right to do so. Basically, we can’t safely stow a half empty bottle of champagne for takeoff as there’s nowhere to put it and no other way of re-sealing as the bottle stoppers we do have are only for use with non-sparkling wine. So, bottles either have to be full and still unopened or empty to be properly put away for departure. I think the crew were probably trying to conserve supplies for after takeoff, but this probably wasn’t handled particularly well or communicated properly to the OP. It would’ve been relatively wasteful to open a single bottle to serve one or two glasses before having to throw the rest before taking off. On a flight where it was perhaps less busy, or to a less ‘wine heavy’ destination, I have no doubt that the OP would’ve been served seconds on the ground.
I’m sure that the OP was promptly served his or her second glass of champagne after departure, along with anything else requested.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
In F this week ex-US, the LPGS was locked away while on the ground, and far cheaper bubbles were being served (Jacquart Brut). Normal service of LPGS was resumed in the air. I don’t know if this is usual, since I normally just have water pre-departure.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I was on a LHR-GLA flight on Friday in 2F. After take off, there were lots fo chit chat and laughter from the galley. Now I'd just got back the day before from China and was a bit zonked with jet lag so I must have nodded off for a wee moment and awoke with the chit chat still ongoing in the galley.

The PAX in front of me were noticeably a bit eager, trying to see what was going on in the galley. I found this a bit strange until the events unfolded.

Crew came out and offered meals. They declined and so did I. They only wanted tea and again seemed a bit eager. I opted for Fizz, still confused about the hurry of the other PAX. I crack open the bottle and Captain comes on we are 112 miles form GLA and will be landing in 20 mins.

Ahhh the penny dropped. I use have been sleeping for 30 mins and only after that did the crew come out form he galley. I got about 3 sips form my fizz before I handed back the remaining 120ml left in the bottle and glass. The PAX behind were complaining that they hardly had time to munch on their food. I think it was 4 rows of CE and the service only managed to get that done by the end of the flight. And, 6 of those PAX didn't want food, only a cup of tea/wine.

Pretty clear that they were more interested in having a chat than getting out to the cabin. No wonder people get a bit irate at crew sometimes.
Me, I couldn't care less (especially that day) but it was noticeable that the customer came second.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve had the exact same happen to me out of PHL not long back. The crew member said all the champagne had run out but he’d be happy to bring me a glass after take off. I didn’t bother but it certainly irked me. Service was mediocre the rest of the flight too.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
So essentially from what I can tell its basically a case of BA not loading enough Champagne for the demand during the flight and the crew having to upset a customer to try and upset fewer customers later during the flight!

The solution is pretty obvious but its not going to happen in the current climate within BA!
dnwaldmann likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
"We'd have to open another bottle"

Let me help you solve that problem, please bring me two glasses of champagne instead, so all your strenous work wouldn't have been made in vain
MSPeconomist and dnwaldmann like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Shock horror

Passenger has to sit in seat for 30 minutes with only 1 glass of champagne
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Agent69
Shock horror

Passenger has to sit in seat for 30 minutes with only 1 glass of champagne
I’ve seen CCR habitués needing a top-up after just 5 minutes ...... never mind 30

For those who like the stuff (not my favoured tipple), it’s there to be drunk, I guess.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by MFCC
This is a difficult one. We have a finite supply of champagne onboard, especially on CPT where there is quite a heavy demand on wine and champagne in CW/F.
I expect the crew had already served the cabin with pre departure drinks, and the OP requested a top up which is perfectly within his or her right to do so. Basically, we can’t safely stow a half empty bottle of champagne for takeoff as there’s nowhere to put it and no other way of re-sealing as the bottle stoppers we do have are only for use with non-sparkling wine. So, bottles either have to be full and still unopened or empty to be properly put away for departure. I think the crew were probably trying to conserve supplies for after takeoff, but this probably wasn’t handled particularly well or communicated properly to the OP. It would’ve been relatively wasteful to open a single bottle to serve one or two glasses before having to throw the rest before taking off. On a flight where it was perhaps less busy, or to a less ‘wine heavy’ destination, I have no doubt that the OP would’ve been served seconds on the ground.
I’m sure that the OP was promptly served his or her second glass of champagne after departure, along with anything else requested.
A proper champagne/sparkling wine stopper is about £10 we have one and it works very well. Equivalent to less than one glass of LPGS. No reason why F or CW can't be equipped with one of these, saving the contents of half opened bottles from being thrown away. Penny wise pound foolish behaviour by BA.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by firstlight
A proper champagne/sparkling wine stopper is about £10 we have one and it works very well. Equivalent to less than one glass of LPGS. No reason why F or CW can't be equipped with one of these, saving the contents of half opened bottles from being thrown away. Penny wise pound foolish behaviour by BA.
I don't know for certain if this is the issue but I could see an problem using a stopper on a champers bottle in an aircraft especially when it is stoppered on the ground. Those stoppers are probably designed for use on the ground. They fix to the bottle assuming a certain pressure differential between the outside air pressure and the pressure inside the bottle. In an aircraft the air pressure is dropped quite considerably shortly after take-off and so the pressure differential would then be considerably greater than that for which the stopper was designed. Clearly I am only summising but it might be that these stoppers are not reliable enough with a much higher pressure differential than at ground level.

Just a thought...
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I don't know for certain if this is the issue but I could see an problem using a stopper on a champers bottle in an aircraft especially when it is stoppered on the ground. Those stoppers are probably designed for use on the ground. They fix to the bottle assuming a certain pressure differential between the outside air pressure and the pressure inside the bottle. In an aircraft the air pressure is dropped quite considerably shortly after take-off and so the pressure differential would then be considerably greater than that for which the stopper was designed. Clearly I am only summising but it might be that these stoppers are not reliable enough with a much higher pressure differential than at ground level.

Just a thought...
Understood we have a push fit type which might suffer at altitude but there are also ones that use a screw to compress the stopper to the bottle which should be fine at altitude...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.