Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe Seats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Yup I think while it’s would be nice to have a proper 2-2 J in CE, it’s not very likely.

given the reality of econ seats with blocked middle, I think the best recourse is to have the potential CE Seats (everything front of exit row) with extended pitch (32/34), as opposed to the 29/30 in the back. It’s ridiculous that today i book Econ over CE as the best seats in the plane in short haul are exit row economy, not CE.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by evacboy
Yup I think while it’s would be nice to have a proper 2-2 J in CE, it’s not very likely.

........... It’s ridiculous that today i book Econ over CE as the best seats in the plane in short haul are exit row economy, not CE.
Well .... as you say, ‘ridiculous’ in one sense, true. But a useful little money-saver in another. Over the course of 12 months travel, that can all go towards a lot of top-end hotel accom (where of course the extra comfort lasts rather longer than a couple of hours).

As ever, it’s down to personal choice / priorities - unless someone else is picking up the tab.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:22 pm
Suspended

I’ve spotted the occasional multi millionaire in CE on the same flight as me and have often thought if there was a better seat they may pay more.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Dec 9, 2018 at 1:29 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I don't really get the criticism of euro business. Unless you are really wide, an economy seat with vacant middle is just fine. In fact a bit more room than you'd have on a traditional 2-2 set up. The pitch is a bit rough, but 38 inches for UA and AU first/biz class isn't really that spectacular either. Euro airlines (LH. LX, AF) seem to have better quality food than Australia, and everyone gets the same thing. No one misses out.
The easy criticism is that it is just economy class with an empty seat adjacent and different food

Air New Zealand offers a similar product on its trans tasman routes but doesn't try to call it business class

Qantas's business class may be more expensince, but at least it is not just a tarted up economy class

There may not be a market for business class in Europe - sell it as a more exepnsive economy offering with an empty seat and better catering and no one would have any reason to complain
APUBleed likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

I don't really get the criticism of euro business. Unless you are really wide, an economy seat with vacant middle is just fine. In fact a bit more room than you'd have on a traditional 2-2 set up. The pitch is a bit rough, but 38 inches for UA and AU first/biz class isn't really that spectacular either. Euro airlines (LH. LX, AF) seem to have better quality food than Australia, and everyone gets the same thing. No one misses out.
I'm not really wide, nor am I even really tall (just < 6') but my knees hit the seat in front of me and it's very awkward to eat when the person in front reclines their seat. It's not a comfortable hard product for anyone over like 5'8".
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by richardwft
I’ve spotted the occasional multi millionaire in CE on the same flight as me and have often thought if there was a better seat they may pay more.
I know this comment has been made before when European J seats have been discussed, and many seem to think there is some untapped demand for a fixed 2+2 J cabin. Apart from a very few exceptions (e.g TK on some flights to LHR), if this demand is so clear why does no European short haul carrier offer it?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bergamini
I'm not really wide, nor am I even really tall (just < 6') but my knees hit the seat in front of me and it's very awkward to eat when the person in front reclines their seat. It's not a comfortable hard product for anyone over like 5'8".
I'm 6' and can't remember my knees hitting the seat in front of me when I flew CE last month. Next flight is Friday so I will reverify.

The benefit (for BA) has became clear on my flight. When I looked up the seat selection some time ago, there were 5 rows in CE. When I picked a seat 2 days ago, I changed to 6. So extra CE seats to sell.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Originally Posted by KARFA
I know this comment has been made before when European J seats have been discussed, and many seem to think there is some untapped demand for a fixed 2+2 J cabin. Apart from a very few exceptions (e.g TK on some flights to LHR), if this demand is so clear why does no European short haul carrier offer it?
Part of the problem is it’s not really a competitive free market with all the slot restrictions. At lax for example I can pick from 4 or 5 carriers to shuttle up to SF, or across to NYC. Once one introduced domestic flat beds on the transcons, eventually all the majors came along and did the same.

whereas at lhr, who else can really enter that market and create a short haul network with proper business?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’ve only recently started flying CE, but I have noticed a trend on most flights. Afew ET passages will board the flight dump their baggage on CE and head off to there ET seat. Once the plane lands, (usually before the seatbelt lights are turned off), rush down into CE to grab their bags. Not once have I seen a emmener of the crew take action or at least ask the passagers to return to their seat while the seatbelt is on.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TimDP
I'm 6' and can't remember my knees hitting the seat in front of me when I flew CE last month. Next flight is Friday so I will reverify.

The benefit (for BA) has became clear on my flight. When I looked up the seat selection some time ago, there were 5 rows in CE. When I picked a seat 2 days ago, I changed to 6. So extra CE seats to sell.
Picture below. Knees hitting seat. Fully upright. It's like 29, maybe 30" pitch.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:38 pm

I am 6'2" and even when sitting completely upright my legs hit the seat in front of me. Most economy seats in the States provide more legroom. I wouldn't pay the CE premium for such tight seating.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I'm 6'3 and don't have any such problems! Plenty of room for the knees and legs in the centre space.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
.... if this demand is so clear why does no European short haul carrier offer it?
There may simply not be just enough demand for it. Such a product may be more attractive on longer sectors, again there may not be enough of these.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite

I'm 6' and seem to be ok. My knees just clear of the seat in front. The flexibility for BA is the main factor here. Maybe it would be more accurately marketed as premium economy but for the most part the service hard and soft meet the price people are prepared to pay. Fixed and or bigger seats would increase the price and i'm not sure most people would pay that for a 1-3 hour flight.
Most of the time I have gone CE the price over ET+ has been £30 - £40 (in some cases it has even been cheeper then ET). If it comes in more then I'll stay in ET but you pays your money and takes your choice.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by charlieboy77
Lufthansa did this in the early 90's and it didn't work out for them. Fixed 2x2 seating in the first 2-3 rows of their European fleet called First Class then Euro style 3x3 seating designated as Business and Economy with a moveable divider.
that’s almost 30 years ago with very different market conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.