Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe Seats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by eugegall
Comparing BA short haul with AA short haul and I could see why BA's setup gives them a lot more flexibility over no changeable seats however I wondered how often the 'curtain' would move forward and backwards on any given aircraft to warrant non fixed, bigger seats?

Anyone got any info?
Up and down like a whores drawers on Saturday night. The fixed club seating proposition is just not up for consideration by BA.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by gliderpilot

incredibly expensive at circa £500. But equally amazing value using Avios. I did the exact same route earlier this year (on the long haul a330) and had equally good service. Cost was £10 + 9000 Avios. My best value redemption ever.
I frequently do QF domestics and must say it’s pretty unusual to see A330’s on shorter sectors such as BNE-SYD (mostly 737). A330 with flatbeds are more commonly used for the longer routes like MEL-PER or SYD-PER.

True, these short QF hops can be very expensive. But they can sometimes be less than you state - and also worth remembering that the gap is not always so huge : it is not unheard of to see BA quoting circa £800 for a return in CE as short as LHR-FRA.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’m not suggesting BA are wrong, but because the curtain can move BA use a pricing model that makes it far more likely it will move. If they had 12 ‘proper’ businesss seats at the front, and priced them to that model, things could possibly be different. I’m really just making the point that there’s a inbuilt bias with the curtain move, and a pricing model that keeps selling CE seats to a max.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by BA6948

just done a BNE-SYD flight in J with QF. It was QF551 at 17:35 (1h35 flight duration) which had a refreshment service. Was not expecting much after checking the QF forum but was amazed by the service. Had a hot meal with a desert: steak with spinash and baked potatoes, lemon tart and the best bread I have ever eaten on a plane. The guy manning J class was perfect. I was in row 1 and he introduced himself to me and called me by my surname (I am BA Gold). He did that only to another passenger who must have been another FF. I never get that on BA whether in Y or J. The seats were wide with great legroom, foot rests and adjustable recline and back rest. Drinks kept on being offered throughout the flight.

Now I do understand the markets are different but BA could introduce a different seat for J class in Europe up to row 3 and then have then create a new Premium Economy class that is exactly the same as today’s business (meal and blocked middle seat). That way they have maximum flexibility and it woulf allow them to satisfy those customers that want a real business class configuration.
This experience is not really the norm... except perhaps for very top tier passengers (those in the row 1). For the rest of us, by about row 2 the hot meal choices have run out, leaving maybe only a sandwich or cheese box. And the really slow pace of service means those in row three don't even get a drink or meal until the top of descent (meaning a pretty rushed mela).

Given fares in Qantas biz class - for a Monday morning are running at £616 SYD-BNE, £801 SYD-MEL (bth one hour flights) and SYD-PER is a whopping £2029 (yes, one way for a four hour flight) - you'd expect a lot better product.

I don't really get the criticism of euro business. Unless you are really wide, an economy seat with vacant middle is just fine. In fact a bit more room than you'd have on a traditional 2-2 set up. The pitch is a bit rough, but 38 inches for UA and AU first/biz class isn't really that spectacular either. Euro airlines (LH. LX, AF) seem to have better quality food than Australia, and everyone gets the same thing. No one misses out.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This experience is not really the norm... except perhaps for very top tier passengers (those in the row 1). For the rest of us, by about row 2 the hot meal choices have run out, leaving maybe only a sandwich or cheese box. And the really slow pace of service means those in row three don't even get a drink or meal until the top of descent (meaning a pretty rushed mela).

Given fares in Qantas biz class - for a Monday morning are running at £616 SYD-BNE, £801 SYD-MEL (bth one hour flights) and SYD-PER is a whopping £2029 (yes, one way for a four hour flight) - you'd expect a lot better product.

I don't really get the criticism of euro business. Unless you are really wide, an economy seat with vacant middle is just fine. In fact a bit more room than you'd have on a traditional 2-2 set up. The pitch is a bit rough, but 38 inches for UA and AU first/biz class isn't really that spectacular either. Euro airlines (LH. LX, AF) seem to have better quality food than Australia, and everyone gets the same thing. No one misses out.
Not the experience I've had on QF J and that's been primarily traveling solo on my best friend's staff benefits. I'm usually the last to be served and maybe because I'm pretty open to most options ( ie I want them all!) I find something. Always called by name and on one occasion where I got 1A, the table was set, drink served and a very polite "Mr dddc, I'll be back with your meal choices shortly" ensuring all the paying pax got their choice first. Plenty of time to eat the meal and have a cup of tea afterwards. Doing BNE-MEL early next year in J, but on reward points as there are 2 of us flying so will be interesting to see the service especially as it's a "snack" time flight. But I'm prepared to have lunch in the lounge anyway.

I had a look at the 4th of March prices. QF BNE-SYD is $880 in J for the first flight (circa £500). First flight LHR-AMS is £555 for what is a shorter flight time.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

Don’t recognise this at all, from any of my QF domestics in J, or indeed from those of Aussie friends/contacts.

You really should be giving it to QF management, with both barrels, if this is how you’re being treated.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by dddc
.. ensuring all the paying pax got their choice first.
... if only that were true A silver or gold (BA bronze/silver) in row 3 on a 737 is more likely to miss out on the good stuff than not.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dddc
I had a look at the 4th of March prices. QF BNE-SYD is $880 in J for the first flight (circa £500). First flight LHR-AMS is £555 for what is a shorter flight time.
The point is that on Qantas it's difficult to pay less that top dollar for a business class seat. Unless you have a stack of airmiles / Avios and there is availability, cash fares are going to be in that area. You can't get around the high fares by buying a return ticket or staying a Saturday night or more than 2 days or bolting on another flight. For LHR-AMS you selected BA428, the only service of the day to only (currently) have J9 available. BA434 leaves a few hours later, that has I9, and the cheapest CE fare on that is currently £122. Even BA428 becomes £283 (half of £566) if bought as a return ticket.

Qantas style seating and consequent fare rises would be non viable within Europe at these price points, the service simply wouldn't be offered since it would be more cost effective to go economy service throughout instead. The European market is too competitive for anything much different from the current set-up.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:13 am

I have flown QF business a few times on the A330, 737 and 717 across short eastern domestic routes. I find the entire experience (including lounge) to be miles ahead of BA Club Europe (though I've only done it once). It's true that the cheapest CE fares are MUCH cheaper than QF J, though. I don't think anyone actually pays for QF J with their own pocket - it's government or business money.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by APUBleed
.... I don't think anyone actually pays for QF J with their own pocket - it's government or business money.
Many people pay from their own pocket, myself included...
hsmall likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:07 am

If one avoids the costly J class seats, it’s good to know that even at the back of the Qantas bus, you’ll still receive a complimentary drink + snack (nature of which varies according to sector). This was the - very enjoyable - light lunch I was offered on a recent QF flight from Alice Springs down to SYD, approx 3 hours
orbitmic and dddc like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by subject2load

If one avoids the costly J class seats, it’s good to know that even at the back of the Qantas bus, you’ll still receive a complimentary drink + snack (nature of which varies according to sector). This was the - very enjoyable - light lunch I was offered on a recent QF flight from Alice Springs down to SYD, approx 3 hours
Yes, I was really surprised too doing a BNE-MEL sector on a Saturday afternoon we got a hot spag bol box in Y. Kept me going until my international connection several hours later.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Maybe we can move the discussion about the quantas business cabin to the quantus forum?
pacenotes likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Maybe we can move the discussion about the quantas business cabin to the quantus forum?
Quantas, Quantus and even.....Qantas.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC

Probably a bit off topic but as a Delta person, I flew BA LHR>WAW on BA today on a Club Europe ticket. I’m just under 6’ and of no bigger than average build (check profile for pic - I am not a wide person). The tight confines were ridiculous. The width was mostly fine but my knee hit the seat in front of me and when the person in front of me reclined it was quite awkward to eat my omelette.

The soft product was great. True champagne instead of the syrupy Prosecco we get in the US and I guess Europeans are probably skinnier than Americans so I can live with the width. But the pitch combined with recline of person in front was a terrible hard product. It was an A321. I think it was $220 more than Y and I got free bag, lounge and priority security so I’d do it again since my status is SkyTeam but man, is that really the best pitch they can offer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.