Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA206... Delayed incoming and now blown starter motor

BA206... Delayed incoming and now blown starter motor

Reply

Old Dec 7, 18, 7:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Posts: 133
BA206... Delayed incoming and now blown starter motor

Sitting on the tarmac at MIA having pulled away from the stand 15 minutes ago (almost 4 hours late due to a technical issue with the aircraft flying the inbound which had to be replaced and so was late coming in to MIA).... And now the starter motor to one of the engines has blown resulting in lots of vehicles with flashing lights surrounding the left side 😳😳. Apparently can cause a spark hence the appearance of the cavalry.

Pulling back to the stand. Could be a late one...

Cue: discussion on knackered old 747s that need to be replaced (but I still like them)
wanderingjock likes this.
Gold Digger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 18, 7:27 pm
  #2  
formerly samwilliams88
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat Prem Elite
Posts: 180
Just think of the compensation youíll get for your time 🙄
PrivatePilotDR40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 18, 7:55 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 241
Do they not have a starting handle?��
twincheeks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 18, 8:21 pm
  #4  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London Stratford, E7
Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Posts: 1,758
App is showing 2230 ETD so hopefully on your way shortly, don’t forget to submit your EU261 claim.
KeaneJohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 18, 8:33 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 101
Cue the pilots picking up the strongest ever Atlantic winds, and Heathrow magically allowing you to land across the runway straight to the gate without even having to turn direction....anything to avoid those 4 hours!
tynmar and AAtticus like this.
baflyer999 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 18, 8:33 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Posts: 133
Letter already sitting in my inbox using Which's very handy online EU261 comp letter writer/calculator 👍👍 ...Ä600 will come in very handy (unless of course BA argues exceptional circumstances).
GD
Ps Been overhearing a call to the GGL line which is destined for the DYKWIA thread
bisonrav, DYKWIA and KeaneJohn like this.
Gold Digger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 18, 8:57 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 547
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
And now the starter motor to one of the engines has blown resulting in lots of vehicles with flashing lights surrounding the left side 😳😳. Apparently can cause a spark hence the appearance of the cavalry.
I'm sure the Captain was dumbing it down for the passengers.....

Bleed air Jet engines, don't actually have 'starter motors' as such. To start them they need need air pressure (bleed air) to spin the engine, provided by the APU (if the APU is dead, it's not uncommon and doesn't ground an aircraft, then they need a ground unit, basically a trailer with an engine to supply high pressure air to the aircraft to do the same thing), once the engine is spinning, fuel is introduced and the igniters (spark plugs for a jet engine) start the combustion process/engine kicks into life.
787's uses electricity to spin up the engine (from the APU normally, but it could be ground power as APU's do pack up) to do the same as it doesn't have bleed air, so it uses the engine generators on the engines to spin up the engine to start them up.
Forever in Seattle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 18, 9:28 pm
  #8  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London Stratford, E7
Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Posts: 1,758
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
Letter already sitting in my inbox using Which's very handy online EU261 comp letter writer/calculator 👍👍 ...Ä600 will come in very handy (unless of course BA argues exceptional circumstances).
GD
Ps Been overhearing a call to the GGL line which is destined for the DYKWIA thread
Oops now 0015 local so at least another 50 mins. Hope they are looking after you. I think itís just as quick to submit the claim online. Look forward to the DYKWIA post.
KeaneJohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 18, 12:02 am
  #9  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cumbria
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 4,072
BA206 departed at 2353 and is due to arrive at 1244 (originally scheduled arrival 0635).
madfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 18, 1:05 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Posts: 546
Serious question - why, on a daily basis, is there always at least one thread dedicated to a specific flight, almost always BA, UA, AA, or DL (I'm sure others get thrown in for good measure) about delays etc? I mean, my Yakutsk-Moscow flight last weekend was delayed by almost 6 hours sans explanation yet I never felt a need to make a thread about it. Just curious as all.
ilcannone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 18, 1:11 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: near Heathrow
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,794
Originally Posted by ilcannone View Post
Serious question - why, on a daily basis, is there always at least one thread dedicated to a specific flight, almost always BA, UA, AA, or DL (I'm sure others get thrown in for good measure) about delays etc?....
I find such posts interesting and informative ie reason for delay, how itís handled, EC261, etc.
gcuk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 18, 2:50 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 59K
Posts: 2,154
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle View Post
I'm sure the Captain was dumbing it down for the passengers.....

Bleed air Jet engines, don't actually have 'starter motors' as such. To start them they need need air pressure (bleed air) to spin the engine, provided by the APU (if the APU is dead, it's not uncommon and doesn't ground an aircraft, then they need a ground unit, basically a trailer with an engine to supply high pressure air to the aircraft to do the same thing), once the engine is spinning, fuel is introduced and the igniters (spark plugs for a jet engine) start the combustion process/engine kicks into life.
787's uses electricity to spin up the engine (from the APU normally, but it could be ground power as APU's do pack up) to do the same as it doesn't have bleed air, so it uses the engine generators on the engines to spin up the engine to start them up.
That’s not entirely true I’m afraid. The initial turning of the high pressure spool is done by a starter motor driving the gearbox. Air pressure alone isn’t enough, it needs a boost.
Big Bad D likes this.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Dec 8, 18 at 3:11 am
Jumbodriver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 18, 3:42 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London
Programs: [QRPC], BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Posts: 2,381
In all seriousness, the on-time performance of BA’s 747 fleet is quite poor I would think (based purely on my anecdotal evidence). BA295 and return BA294 were both about four hours late departing yesterday due to issues with G-CIVR (colleague was on the flight). I’m now waiting for today’s BA295 which is also operated by G-CIVR so is of course running late because it’s still working off the delays accumulated yesterday.
lost_in_translation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 18, 5:47 am
  #14  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London Stratford, E7
Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Posts: 1,758
Originally Posted by ilcannone View Post
Serious question - why, on a daily basis, is there always at least one thread dedicated to a specific flight, almost always BA, UA, AA, or DL (I'm sure others get thrown in for good measure) about delays etc? I mean, my Yakutsk-Moscow flight last weekend was delayed by almost 6 hours sans explanation yet I never felt a need to make a thread about it. Just curious as all.
Theres also a lot of people on here with an incredible knowledge/info bank and they can often come up with more solutions /options for the OP that might have difficulty in accessing due to their location.

One of the best best things about the BA board I think is the willingness to help and there’s almost always something new that you learn everyday on here in the world of BA.
Greyscot, PETER01 and GrayBDG like this.
KeaneJohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 18, 6:21 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by gcuk View Post


I find such posts interesting and informative ie reason for delay, how itís handled, EC261, etc.
OK, fair point.

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post


Theres also a lot of people on here with an incredible knowledge/info bank and they can often come up with more solutions /options for the OP that might have difficulty in accessing due to their location.

One of the best best things about the BA board I think is the willingness to help and thereís almost always something new that you learn everyday on here in the world of BA.
Pity that doesn't extend across the whole range of airlines then.
ilcannone is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread