Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA206... Delayed incoming and now blown starter motor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador

Sitting on the tarmac at MIA having pulled away from the stand 15 minutes ago (almost 4 hours late due to a technical issue with the aircraft flying the inbound which had to be replaced and so was late coming in to MIA).... And now the starter motor to one of the engines has blown resulting in lots of vehicles with flashing lights surrounding the left side 😳😳. Apparently can cause a spark hence the appearance of the cavalry.

Pulling back to the stand. Could be a late one...

Cue: discussion on knackered old 747s that need to be replaced (but I still like them)
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just think of the compensation you’ll get for your time 🙄
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:55 pm

Do they not have a starting handle?��
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
App is showing 2230 ETD so hopefully on your way shortly, don’t forget to submit your EU261 claim.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:33 pm

Cue the pilots picking up the strongest ever Atlantic winds, and Heathrow magically allowing you to land across the runway straight to the gate without even having to turn direction....anything to avoid those 4 hours!
tynmar and AAtticus like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Letter already sitting in my inbox using Which's very handy online EU261 comp letter writer/calculator 👍👍 ...€600 will come in very handy (unless of course BA argues exceptional circumstances).
GD
Ps Been overhearing a call to the GGL line which is destined for the DYKWIA thread
bisonrav, DYKWIA and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gold Digger
And now the starter motor to one of the engines has blown resulting in lots of vehicles with flashing lights surrounding the left side 😳😳. Apparently can cause a spark hence the appearance of the cavalry.
I'm sure the Captain was dumbing it down for the passengers.....

Bleed air Jet engines, don't actually have 'starter motors' as such. To start them they need need air pressure (bleed air) to spin the engine, provided by the APU (if the APU is dead, it's not uncommon and doesn't ground an aircraft, then they need a ground unit, basically a trailer with an engine to supply high pressure air to the aircraft to do the same thing), once the engine is spinning, fuel is introduced and the igniters (spark plugs for a jet engine) start the combustion process/engine kicks into life.
787's uses electricity to spin up the engine (from the APU normally, but it could be ground power as APU's do pack up) to do the same as it doesn't have bleed air, so it uses the engine generators on the engines to spin up the engine to start them up.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Gold Digger
Letter already sitting in my inbox using Which's very handy online EU261 comp letter writer/calculator 👍👍 ...€600 will come in very handy (unless of course BA argues exceptional circumstances).
GD
Ps Been overhearing a call to the GGL line which is destined for the DYKWIA thread
Oops now 0015 local so at least another 50 mins. Hope they are looking after you. I think it’s just as quick to submit the claim online. Look forward to the DYKWIA post.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
BA206 departed at 2353 and is due to arrive at 1244 (originally scheduled arrival 0635).
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Serious question - why, on a daily basis, is there always at least one thread dedicated to a specific flight, almost always BA, UA, AA, or DL (I'm sure others get thrown in for good measure) about delays etc? I mean, my Yakutsk-Moscow flight last weekend was delayed by almost 6 hours sans explanation yet I never felt a need to make a thread about it. Just curious as all.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ilcannone
Serious question - why, on a daily basis, is there always at least one thread dedicated to a specific flight, almost always BA, UA, AA, or DL (I'm sure others get thrown in for good measure) about delays etc?....
I find such posts interesting and informative ie reason for delay, how it’s handled, EC261, etc.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
I'm sure the Captain was dumbing it down for the passengers.....

Bleed air Jet engines, don't actually have 'starter motors' as such. To start them they need need air pressure (bleed air) to spin the engine, provided by the APU (if the APU is dead, it's not uncommon and doesn't ground an aircraft, then they need a ground unit, basically a trailer with an engine to supply high pressure air to the aircraft to do the same thing), once the engine is spinning, fuel is introduced and the igniters (spark plugs for a jet engine) start the combustion process/engine kicks into life.
787's uses electricity to spin up the engine (from the APU normally, but it could be ground power as APU's do pack up) to do the same as it doesn't have bleed air, so it uses the engine generators on the engines to spin up the engine to start them up.
That’s not entirely true I’m afraid. The initial turning of the high pressure spool is done by a starter motor driving the gearbox. Air pressure alone isn’t enough, it needs a boost.
Big Bad D likes this.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Dec 8, 2018 at 3:11 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: Some
In all seriousness, the on-time performance of BA’s 747 fleet is quite poor I would think (based purely on my anecdotal evidence). BA295 and return BA294 were both about four hours late departing yesterday due to issues with G-CIVR (colleague was on the flight). I’m now waiting for today’s BA295 which is also operated by G-CIVR so is of course running late because it’s still working off the delays accumulated yesterday.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by ilcannone
Serious question - why, on a daily basis, is there always at least one thread dedicated to a specific flight, almost always BA, UA, AA, or DL (I'm sure others get thrown in for good measure) about delays etc? I mean, my Yakutsk-Moscow flight last weekend was delayed by almost 6 hours sans explanation yet I never felt a need to make a thread about it. Just curious as all.
Theres also a lot of people on here with an incredible knowledge/info bank and they can often come up with more solutions /options for the OP that might have difficulty in accessing due to their location.

One of the best best things about the BA board I think is the willingness to help and there’s almost always something new that you learn everyday on here in the world of BA.
Greyscot, PETER01 and GrayBDG like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by gcuk

I find such posts interesting and informative ie reason for delay, how it’s handled, EC261, etc.
OK, fair point.

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Theres also a lot of people on here with an incredible knowledge/info bank and they can often come up with more solutions /options for the OP that might have difficulty in accessing due to their location.

One of the best best things about the BA board I think is the willingness to help and there’s almost always something new that you learn everyday on here in the world of BA.
Pity that doesn't extend across the whole range of airlines then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.