Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Callous time changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'm on a work-related jaunt to Poland in the summer, ...
OP was pretty clear what they wrote so not sure why some of you think it's an on the day change.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by SW7London
Unless I'm misreading the post(!) did the OP get notified 6 months in advance?

"just had a time change notification of KRK/LHR on the day I'm due to come home, the flight moving four hours earlier. On a short haul flight served by only one flight a day, that's a hell of a change"

Seems to me it occurred on the day. If it did, my original reply stands - BA should(and would be legally liable for) any costs of rerouting & comp.
I suspect the clue is in the very first sentence of the OP: "I'm on a work-related jaunt to Poland in the summer,"

I think most travellers would appreciate that airlines amend their schedules from time to time....routes get dropped (e.g. Tallin), new routes get started (e.g. Ljubljana and Montpelier) and times get changed to maximise the use of the fleet.

If next summer there is plenty of time for the OP to make other arrangements although as the OP says the change suits anyway.

Callous? The biggest load of hyperbole I have read in a long time.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:34 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I'd add that communications - or lack thereof - are what I see as particularly insensitive. I've noticed a lot of (admittedly minor <1h) changes only when I log in to the airline website to confirm flight details. The airlines don't even inform me of the schedule change.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have nothing to add, other than to observe and appreciate the new adjective.
There was also this adjective:-
Originally Posted by DominicB
What I was trying to say is that on a low frequency route such as Krakow/London, a four hour time change is dramatic ...
Drastic, I grant you - but if BA is doing "dramatic" schedule changes, I might buy a ticket to watch.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:35 am

I’m no doubt enjoying reading this thread as the callously squally weather outside calls for a comforting cup of tea.

G
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DominicB
I'm on a work-related jaunt to Poland in the summer, and just had a time change notification of KRK/LHR on the day I'm due to come home, the flight moving four hours earlier. On a short haul flight served by only one flight a day, that's a hell of a change. As it happens, it is good news for me - but it could have been awful news, and probably will be to some travelers.

I know scheduling a large airline must be beyond amazingly complex... but this feels incredibly callous. I set my plans around this one daily flight from a non-capital city, and I could have been really screwed by the change, and I am sure some folk will be. Hm....
I don't think a great many people will be affected by this so far out. It suits you which is what matters.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Funny how when something does not suit someone personally, an airline can be called 'callous' for making a business decision 6 months into the future. I have to wonder, if it was the OP who had decided to change his plans for the coming summer and not fly, if he would refer to himself as being 'callous' for not considering the airline's having planned on him flying on that day in July or whenever.

It is ridiculous to refer to an airline as 'callous' for making a business decision that is half a year away. Some people really do need to learn to avoid histrionics when referring to things. Words like, ridiculous, unacceptable, dramatic, etc. etc. really are used totally incorrectly so often by so many people.

This change of a flight 6 months or so from now, is NOTHING worth mentioning. It certainly isn't 'callous'.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Funny how when something does not suit someone personally, an airline can be called 'callous' for making a business decision 6 months into the future. I have to wonder, if it was the OP who had decided to change his plans for the coming summer and not fly, if he would refer to himself as being 'callous' for not considering the airline's having planned on him flying on that day in July or whenever.

It is ridiculous to refer to an airline as 'callous' for making a business decision that is half a year away. Some people really do need to learn to avoid histrionics when referring to things. Words like, ridiculous, unacceptable, dramatic, etc. etc. really are used totally incorrectly so often by so many people.

This change of a flight 6 months or so from now, is NOTHING worth mentioning. It certainly isn't 'callous'.
Someone must be having a bad day and should probably take their own advice!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
OK, I'd prefer the OP to stick to the subjective tense to express the appropriate level of importance, but no one here has a monopoly of language. Still let's look back at the rest of the initial post so that perhaps we can get to the point of the thread:

- it's a one a day flight so rebooking options are limited.
- it turns the flight from (presumably) a late evening flight to a mid afternoon flight, though we don't have the details.
- business travellers and indeed others may find this somewhat irksome.

So addressing these points, I doubt many people would have booked these flights yet, they tend to fill up in the final month, and relatively few travellers book more than 4 months out on short haul. Those affected can simply rebook their flights to other days, indeed those on inflexible tickets would get a refund which may please some. And for every schedule change there can be winners. In my case it's difficult to get a domestic connection off KRK due to the late hour of arrival, but presumably this is now in time for the last NCL, GLA, EDI and ABZ.

[/de-escalation mode]
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally posted by fruitcake:
On another airline, I just had a 7am flight moved to 2am, with no alternatives possible at all. Now that’s callous!

But it gives the possibility of saving a night in a hotel and a very early-morning rise.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:20 pm
PZE

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
I guess most of these changes are callous and benevolent in equal measure - from my point of view, the recent change in the times of LHR-PMO is a problem for the outbound because I’m now driving to a rural Airbnb property in darkness not daylight, and possibly arriving later than the owner is happy to check me in; but when we fly home a week later on Easter Sunday, the later flight time now means that we get a full day in Sicily and may be able to see one of the Easter festivals that we’d have otherwise missed.

The problem, I suppose, is that I booked the original flights because I was happy with the times, and so there’s a tendency to focus on the added inconvenience of screwing up my arrival time regardless of any benefit of having extra time at the end of the holiday. But my case does illustrate that every flight change probably has an equal number of winners and losers.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
​​​​​​If this is moving a 21:15 departure to 17:15 then most people will be quite happy. It also means less chance of being caught up in fog.

If its movng an 18:15 departure to 14:15 I can see people being more upset.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
OK, I'd prefer the OP to stick to the subjective tense to express the appropriate level of importance, but no one here has a monopoly of language. Still let's look back at the rest of the initial post so that perhaps we can get to the point of the thread:

- it's a one a day flight so rebooking options are limited.
- it turns the flight from (presumably) a late evening flight to a mid afternoon flight, though we don't have the details.
- business travellers and indeed others may find this somewhat irksome.

So addressing these points, I doubt many people would have booked these flights yet, they tend to fill up in the final month, and relatively few travellers book more than 4 months out on short haul. Those affected can simply rebook their flights to other days, indeed those on inflexible tickets would get a refund which may please some. And for every schedule change there can be winners. In my case it's difficult to get a domestic connection off KRK due to the late hour of arrival, but presumably this is now in time for the last NCL, GLA, EDI and ABZ.

[/de-escalation mode]
If we are going to go back to clarifying just what the post is about corporate-wage-slave, then let's tell it like it is. It is about one person complaining that a schedule change 6 months in advance does not please him. That's all it is about. The place, the times, etc. are all just frills on the real issue. There is no need to go into how there might be winners and losers. One person finds it inconvenient for their plans 6 months from now and calls it 'callous'. That's the jist of the post.

To me, the use of that word 'callous' says something about the person who used it. DYKWIA comes to mind. The world should revolve to suit me. That's how I see it, no one is required to agree but I am perfectly happy to make my view known. I don't think anything needs de-escalated other than remarks suggesting such a view shouldn't be voiced.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:31 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
This thread is closed for moderator review.

EDIT: thank you for your patience. A number of posts which did not meet our rules and community stands have been removed by the mod team, and the thread is now re-opened.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Dec 9, 2018 at 12:30 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The word "callous" is suitable in this circumstance. Synonyms for the word include "insensitive, uncaring or hard-hearted." The airline that changes your flights after you've booked them is insensitive about the impact it has on you otherwise they wouldn't have made the change in the first place. The airline has what are for it perfectly sensible reasons for the change and while at times frustrating it shouldn't be taken personally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.