BA first vs Qatar Qsuite IAH - DEL - IAH

Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
BA first vs Qatar Qsuite IAH - DEL - IAH

I am booking this for a year for now.

Option 1

IAH - LHR - DEL (747 or 777 connect to 789) with 2:45 layover otw and 3:10 otw back

$5895 before American Express discount

Option 2
IAH - DOH - IAH (777 connect to A350) with 2:50 layover otw and 3:30 otw back
$4562 before American Express discount

Hopefully that the A350 will have qsuites a year from now.

There are two possibilities for this trip. My wife and I only or we may bring our infant.

What would you go with?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Purely on price, product and service I would go with QR, but Q suites arent guaranteed. The A350 J is still very agreeable.

If you need the tier points, go with BA.

oldone likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by NDtraveler

Hopefully that the A350 will have qsuites a year from now.

There are two possibilities for this trip. My wife and I only or we may bring our infant.

What would you go with?

Would be a very easy decision for me : Qatar all the way.

And Id definitely go with the infant. She or he wont be too keen on being left home alone .......
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar
Purely on price, product and service I would go with QR, but Q suites arent guaranteed. The A350 J is still very agreeable.

If you need the tier points, go with BA.

OP will get the same TPs. Avios will be less but thats a trade off for the lower price and QR experience IMO.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Schwann
OP will get the same TPs. Avios will be less but that’s a trade off for the lower price and QR experience IMO.
Not quite, the QR service is in business, so 140 160 TP for the first leg and 40 for the next. Whereas BA is 210 + 210. Plus the 777 would be a risk to my mind in terms of hard product.
Schwann and stevie like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 7, 2018 at 8:41 am
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
It has become the norm here to write about BA F as if it were as pleasurable an experience as a few weeks chained up in a medieval dungeon, whereas Qatar's J product is lauded as unbelievably luxurious. The truth, however, is that BA's first class product is much better than Qatar's business product, and actually I would prefer the A350 as it is to the Q Suite - despite the hype I found that cramped and fairly unremarkable.

So given the the relatively modest price differential I would be choosing BA. I assume the flights are of more even length under the BA option too - which I would prefer personally - but if so the product you'd get on the first leg is far more important a factor than that on the short second flight if you choose Qatar.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

It is worth considering that DOH-IAH is a 16.5 hour flight (14.5 hours eastbound).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Schwann

OP will get the same TPs.
With the greatest respect, if you really think that (210 + 210) x 2 = (160 + 40) x 2 you should consider suing your maths teacher!
FoxtrotOscar and windscar like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not quite, the QR service is in business, so 140 TP for the first leg and 40 for the next. Whereas BA is 210 + 210.
Actually 160 for IAH-DOH as its a very long flight.

[oh, beaten to it by CCayley]
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd choose on price and convenience.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Just think of transit security at LHR both ways.

There, you've chosen QR and saved money too!
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'd choose on price and convenience.
I agree. Go with cheaper. If QR J is bad then you can always feel less ripped off. And then go on a splurge to make up for it.
Bad service when paying less is far more ok.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:51 am

Have you checked costs on each of bringing infant btw? Not sure if that makes any difference but may do.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by CCayley
It has become the norm here to write about BA F as if it were as pleasurable an experience as a few weeks chained up in a medieval dungeon, whereas Qatar's J product is lauded as unbelievably luxurious. The truth, however, is that BA's first class product is much better than Qatar's business product, and actually I would prefer the A350 as it is to the Q Suite - despite the hype I found that cramped and fairly unremarkable.
You're right and others are wrong then? The "truth" in my opinion is that there's not much difference. The seats on the B787/A350 were more comfortable than BA F, and the food was a lot better. I've not tried the Q Suite yet.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You're right and others are wrong then? The "truth" in my opinion is that there's not much difference. The seats on the B787/A350 were more comfortable than BA F, and the food was a lot better. I've not tried the Q Suite yet.
I was just expressing an opinion - as requested by an OP who is perfectly capable of spotting that all responses here are, ultimately, based on subjective views. I was also trying to prevent the thread from obsessing about the particular product OP might receive travelling with Qatar on the DOH - DEL (A350) leg of his/her journey, when the product on the extremely long flight from IAH to DOH would be far more important in this case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.