Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forgotten BA services, products & routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by henners
Oh yes, you're right - sorry! The change was definitely pre-BACON though - I was flying on the 146s from BHX when it was still BA Cityexpress, I think that would have been in 2003.
It was definitely an A319, in June 2001.

signol
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by BOH
I recall ATC in some countries (cannot remember whether this included LHR and LGW) saying there could be a safety issue as it was proving difficult to accurately identify a BA plane from a distance across a busy airfield.Whether this was valid or not I don't know - or was it a bit of mischief with other folks wading in with potential negatives in an attempt to get BA to abandon the world tail themes?
I can't help thinking that a smaller range of different tails, with maybe a slight alteration to give some consistent element - plus maybe something distinctive on every fuselage and it might have worked. A bit like - Norwegian say...
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by criso
I grew up in Devon and remember hearing it every evening.
Heard it every morning and evening in Reading. On a clear day/night, I could see it.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by bostan
Loved their Anya Hindmarch velvet kits in First
These were rather nice ! I believe I still have a number of them (if I could find them amongst the stash of other kits, most likely buried in a corner of the garage .....).

Other items in the ‘long-forgotten’ category were the useful towels kept by the Purser and available to F pax on request, primarily as a takeaway ‘souvenir’. These were crisp white hand towels - though larger than average - and came with a discreet silver label carrying the BA crest, wrapped in a clear plastic bag. I know I definitely still have one of these, because I chanced upon it, pristine & unused, at the bottom of a bedroom drawer just the other week.

And another ..... also in F only, and also ‘on request’ : who remembers the sets of writing paper + envelopes, again with a discreet BA crest, in gold .... ? Doubt they’d be of any interest these days when nobody actually writes letters ! But back then, I would use them when I wanted to send a friend a personal thank-you note. It had a little touch of elegance about it (and saved me looking for / buying a card )
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Heard it every morning and evening in Reading. On a clear day/night, I could see it.
What we heard was the noise it made as it jumped to supersonic speed so it was over the sea and out of sight by then. It may have gone over at other times of the day but the evening one was the one we all noticed.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by criso
What we heard was the noise it made as it jumped to supersonic speed so it was over the sea and out of sight by then.
If you're referring to the sonic boom, then (out of pedantry) I think that would actually have been present whenever the aircraft was flying at supersonic speed, not only when it accelerated through the speed of sound. It sounded like this:-

That phenomenon is one of the reasons why supersonic airliners were never successful; it seriously restricted the routes that could be flown at supersonic speeds. IIRC, the way that LHR-BAH had to be operated was a case in point.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you're referring to the sonic boom, then (out of pedantry) I think that would actually have been present whenever the aircraft was flying at supersonic speed, not only when it accelerated through the speed of sound. It sounded like this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbPh2llw0-M

That phenomenon is one of the reasons why supersonic airliners were never successful; it seriously restricted the routes that could be flown at supersonic speeds. IIRC, the way that LHR-BAH had to be operated was a case in point.
Will listen later when I'm not in public.

But yes my understanding was that it flew over us at sub supersonic speeds due to restrictions but when it cleared land, it was allowed to jump to supersonic speed. From the point of view of a person on the ground you wouldn't register general background airplane sound from the ground but when it did go supersonic you heard this. I guess it then moved out of heading range pretty quickly so you only heard it briefly.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
JER-LHR. I was very young but remember doing this on the 757 (even Tristars made a couple of appearances on the route following heavy fog).

A loss still keenly felt by many in Jersey.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boyfrombiot
Originally they were called British Airways Travel Shops. Then someone had the ''bright'' idea of converting them in to full travel agencies called Four Corners. BA set up a subsidiary company called British Airways Enterprises which allowed them to change the salary structure in the Four Corners shops. Staff had the option to a) sign a new contract, b) redeploy elsewhere in BA or c) take severance.

Once they were all set up and running they were all sold off to Thomas Cook!!!

Cheers
Steve
Four Corners Travel, that's the one. Thanks for the info!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
JER-LHR. I was very young but remember doing this on the 757 (even Tristars made a couple of appearances on the route following heavy fog).

A loss still keenly felt by many in Jersey.
I'd really love to see this come back, I've wasted far too much time connecting across Surrey doing the LHR-LGW shuffle! BD tried it in the mid-2000s and it didn't work.

I didn't realise you could get an L-1011 into JER...

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Oh yes. I was at school not far from Reading and the time of our morning break coincided almost identically with the BA001 coming right overhead. If the master hadn't ended class by the time Concorde approached a few students would use that as their bell and start packing their books up The school itself was on quite high ground with unobstructed views east and from a few places you could see the shape of it form long before you could hear it.

I used to live on the North Hampshire/West Berkshire border and the BA002/BA004 would fly over the house on their way back to LHR. The sound, timing and lights were very distinctive, although much higher and quieter than the outbound. That was the time when LHR would basically shut down for the night once the BA004 landed.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Fraser
I'd really love to see this come back, I've wasted far too much time connecting across Surrey doing the LHR-LGW shuffle! BD tried it in the mid-2000s and it didn't work.

I didn't realise you could get an L-1011 into JER...
BAEC is hugely powerful in JER (captive, generally high income population. Multiple Prems and countless GCHs in a population of c.100,000). Even when JER-LHR was up to 3x daily with BD, all the BAEC loyalists were still doing the LHR-LGW shuffle!

In the same vein BA know they don't need to operate JER-LHR as their regular pax are willing to endure the M25. It means its very unlikely for the route to return (unless R3 happens).

And here's the tristar landing with St Peter's church in the background: https://www.theislandwiki.org/index....istarLands.jpg Quite a few other pics of it knocking around... Bit of a tight squeeze!
Fraser likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Bit more from the old advertising I remember;
Where is all that space now! - Got to love the William Shatner bit though!

&
Is this the really reason behind Virgin Galactic?

While I know we all complain about things in the current service. Watching back through all the old ads does show how far most things have come on.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
the days in economy long haul of a separate T&Cs service after lunch / dinner with after dinner liquers - ie contreau, tia maria and all of the other drinks which slipped down nicely

to be fair, you can still have a brandy with coffee but thats about it
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Pre 9-11, asking CSD to ask the captain if I could sit in the cockpit for landing. 80% of the time the Captain said yes. I remember LAX, DEL and JNB, I forget the others. Asked on VS too, they were as accommodating.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
the days in economy long haul of a separate T&Cs service after lunch / dinner with after dinner liquers - ie contreau, tia maria and all of the other drinks which slipped down nicely

to be fair, you can still have a brandy with coffee but thats about it
No brandy on the new CE menu drinks list - so a malt whisky instead. On QR however, even in the back they have a bottle of brandy on the coffee trolley when it comes round after the meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.