Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forgotten BA services, products & routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Trident 3B
I can remember the days of checking in and selecting seats from the cardboard seat display behind the desk, your chosen seat number then being affixed to one's boarding pass in Terminal 1 ( never a case of double seating in those days!). Anyone remembers the Alcock and Brown statue outside T3?. I also fondly recall the old clapperboard flight displays particularly the one in the old T2 right by the large central staircase. 40 years of working in the industry after starting my career at Heathrow with BEA/BOAC I have a wealth of memories of the good old days.
Where they called BA Travel Shops or Four Seasons Travel?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I find reading about some of the hopping services from the 80's quite incredible. Wish I was flying at this time in history to experience all the hops on BA9 or BA11, they must have been a real gruelling experience and I can imagine they could have been quite expensive for BA to run if there weren't enough bums on seats.

BA 9 -> Heathrow – Bombay – Perth – Brisbane – Auckland
BA11 -> Heathrow – Abu Dhabi – Singapore – Perth – Sydney – Melbourne
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Strawb
The BA Travel Shop on Piccadilly also sold Eurostar tickets, which was a little strange I thought, as you'd think they'd promote their own BA flights to Paris and Brussels - they gave you a voucher which you had to exchange at Waterloo for a train ticket. They also did a freebie giveaway for 1998 Anya Hindmarch First Class amenity kits. Back then I took full advantage of that and picked up several. They were the black vanity cases and had a very nice array of products, separated and arranged for take off, inflight and landing.
The reason that it sold Eurostar tickets was that back in the early days of Eurostar BA owned 10% of the Eurostar (UK) part of the operation.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
What a great thread!

My own list includes:
  • All Day Deli (bags then later the infamous sweet or savory boxes) - how we complained. If only we knew what was in store...
  • Telephone check in - remember seeing it advertised but never tried it - curious as to how it worked
  • Terminal 1 domestic terraces at LHR - first BA lounge I ever accessed. I'm probably in the minority here but I also miss flights being announced in the lounges.
  • LGW - NCL up to four times daily. Wish it would make a return to the network to allow easier connections to LGW routes.
  • World Tails - Chelsea Rose was my favorite
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:38 pm

The only thing I remember about World Tails was Thatcher saying how bad they were and covering the model plane with a tissue.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by simons1
The only thing I remember about World Tails was Thatcher saying how bad they were and covering the model plane with a tissue.
I did not dislike them. But (and I remember the vague argument about it reflecting the global reach of the airline) it did not "mean" BRITISH airways. Maybe we would have a few more then just Chatham Dockyard now if they had only used the UK based ones.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I actually really liked the World Tails even though I know that they were unpopular with many. I think that at the time, they gave an image of an innovative and creative BA which the current livery doesn't.
sahajesh, lukew and Sealink like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:13 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The fifth freedom routes I flew - JFK to YYZ and Montreal to Detroit.
Being accused in Montreal of forging the First Class ticket I had, and having to buy a new one!
(See Customer Service was variable in the old days too)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Markie
Being accused in Montreal of forging the First Class ticket I had, and having to buy a new one!
That has reminded me of something.

A friend lost her boarding pass in duty free in Florence, this was before security meant that boarding passes and passports were checked together. She had to buy a new ticket. The argument was that she could have given her boarding pass to someone else and was pretending to lose it. After she was able to claim the money back from the second ticket when they could check that her original pass had not been used. Today she would have had her pass online.

I like the benefits of technology including online booking. I don't miss having to walk back and forth between travel agents comparing cost for a flight.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Sealink
Where they called BA Travel Shops or Four Seasons Travel?
Originally they were called British Airways Travel Shops. Then someone had the ''bright'' idea of converting them in to full travel agencies called Four Corners. BA set up a subsidiary company called British Airways Enterprises which allowed them to change the salary structure in the Four Corners shops. Staff had the option to a) sign a new contract, b) redeploy elsewhere in BA or c) take severance.

Once they were all set up and running they were all sold off to Thomas Cook!!!

Cheers
Steve
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Steve - were you the one who looked like Steve Austin the Bionic Man?
I wish! But thanks for flattering my ego..

Cheers
Steve
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:09 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Akoz
I did not dislike them. But (and I remember the vague argument about it reflecting the global reach of the airline) it did not "mean" BRITISH airways. Maybe we would have a few more then just Chatham Dockyard now if they had only used the UK based ones.
I recall ATC in some countries (cannot remember whether this included LHR and LGW) saying there could be a safety issue as it was proving difficult to accurately identify a BA plane from a distance across a busy airfield.Whether this was valid or not I don't know - or was it a bit of mischief with other folks wading in with potential negatives in an attempt to get BA to abandon the world tail themes?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BOH
I recall ATC in some countries (cannot remember whether this included LHR and LGW) saying there could be a safety issue as it was proving difficult to accurately identify a BA plane from a distance across a busy airfield.Whether this was valid or not I don't know - or was it a bit of mischief with other folks wading in with potential negatives in an attempt to get BA to abandon the world tail themes?
I recall hearing about a specific misidentification incident at (I think) LAX when G-BNLH was on long-term lease to QF and operating as VH-NLH. Initially, relatively little was done to the livery:-

After that ?LAX incident, the aircraft's fin was stripped of the Utopia design (but not the part on the fuselage), and VH-NLH was a kind of white tail for the rest of her time at QF:-

[Both images clicky to their source.]

This may simply have been an example of a wider problem, though.
BOH likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Belfast - to Aldergrove in those days also had the shuttle/super shuttle. ABZ, NCL and LBA did not but LBA was dropped quite quickly and was picked up by BD who rolled out Diamond Service which was excellent and resulted in super shuttle offering food & drink. IMO Diamond Service and the BD crews had the edge though - and they kept it for many years.
Aldergrove brings back memories - not of flying the shuttle unfortunately, but going with my Dad as a child in the early 90s to pick up my Aunt who lived in London on one of her semi-annual trips back to Ireland. I seem to recall you could make it as far as the departure lounge as a visitor (perhaps for domestic flights only?).

There were also small, grey plastic cards issued by BA for the shuttle (I think), were they a means of payment or something, or an early version of executive club? It's a pretty hazy memory. There were always quite a few of them littered about at some desks near the gates which I would eagerly scoop up and keep at home as some kind of precious collection
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, FB Gold, TK Gold
767 with onboard disco and 1980's style TV to Larnaca. Not all that long gone mind ;-)
daftboy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.