Wiki Posts
Search

Forgotten BA services, products & routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
The helicopter link between LHR and LGW

Ah yes .... very well-used while it lasted, and unique as a passenger service, AFAIK, between two same-city international airports.

Brought to something of a premature end (mainly) by vociferous noise + environment protest groups and (partly) by the construction of the M25.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
The helicopter link between LHR and LGW
Especially when it was operated by BCal!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:25 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by subject2load

Ah yes .... very well-used while it lasted, and unique as a passenger service, AFAIK, between two same-city international airports.

Brought to something of a premature end (mainly) by vociferous noise + environment protest groups and (partly) by the construction of the M25.
I think that it was more the wealthy in Stockboker Land. I did a round trip on one occasion to see what it was like. That helicopter had huge windows and it was incredible how many swimming pools there were to be seen. I was really surprised as the temperature in the UK is not that hot most summers - last year was, of course, exceptional
Markie and Passmethesickbag like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:26 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Especially when it was operated by BCal!
It certainly was in BCAL colours - that much is true, but I recall that the costs were shared - and BCAL became part of BA, That's how I got here!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skipness1E
The space age modernity and the rocket like climb rate of the Shuttle’s B757 service. The A321 doesn’t come close.
There was a big strike about 10 years ago where lots of flights were cancelled. We had a SFO-LHR-MAN flight booked, and assumed our LHR-MAN flight would be cancelled (the SFO-LHR flight was still operating).

The strike was called off while we were in the air, but for some reason existing bookings had not been reinstated. When we got to LHR, we got it sorted.

We got on the LHR-MAN B757, and there were 5 passengers! We took off almost vertical (that's what it seemed) and had about 20 minutes cruise rather than the usual 10 minutes

​​​
skipness1E likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Concorde model at the entrance to the LHR T123 tunnel.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
My mum recalls the BA Travel Shop in the Bentall Centre in Kingston upon Thames and the excellent service you would get from there.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by icegirl
My mum recalls the BA Travel Shop in the Bentall Centre in Kingston upon Thames and the excellent service you would get from there.
I can remember that too - it wasn't so long ago! But then time passes more quickly as you get older....
icegirl likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I miss.
*The BA travel store on Piccadilly. I bought RTW and family long hauls there to fit in with my work travel
* Concorde
* Ch Lynch Bages and properly cooked prime fillet
* BA staff in Sin, BKK etc.
* T1 Gate 5 drinking sessions, a Golden hangout. .......... ditto on return from wherever.
* T1 International showers after transfer from T4. Never a queue, and smiling happy service.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
BA at BHX with a fleet of A319s
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Well for what it’s worth, I DON’T miss...

- accident rates that made crossing a highway in Jakarta feel safe in comparison

- a few terrifying terror attacks and hijackings of planes by some monstrous .......s

- fares that meant you had to come from a very wealthy family to fly once every few years

- being stuck in a smoke cloud if you were unlucky enough to sit close to the border with smoking

- one flight a week to your destination if you were lucky and no competition

- consulate visits, long waits and high fees for visas or even having to book hotels through nationalised over priced tourist organisations, fuel vouchers, limits to how much cash you were allowed to take out of most countries, controlled (and unfavourable) exchange rates, black market economy, etc.

i have wonderful memories of my childhood and the flights I took them, it was magic and if my parents wanted to make truly happy at the weekend,they’d merely drive past the airport so I could see planes taxiing admirative of the individualised beauty of each model, each livery, expertly award of the flight’s exotic destination. A few of the flights I took were memorable because I was a child, others because of the individualised level of service and exception which in a way only a niche and confidential market could enable. I remember my first ba flight and visit to the U.K. when I was 8, trying to imagine those huge pretty yellow fields being transformed into rapeseed oil, scores of rolls Royce’s driving by Marble Arch, and how delicious it felt to eat my first chicken Kiev complete with fluorescent vegetables and improbable fruity garnishes (most of you can now guess my age! &#128513. And then there was the time a relative could not fly her Nice to Brussels and I got to replace her and that other time I won a one way helicopter flight from Nice to Monaco in a competition and got to walk on all the forbidden parts of the tarmac. All amazing, but still important to realise this does not mean it was all better then and to remember that in most ways, as plane lovers, we are much better off flying today in so very many ways.

Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott lifetime platinum
I remember Eurohub at BHX well, and the BA flights from Bristol, saved me the hike up to London, sigh. Back in the 90's I managed to blag a flight deck ride on a Maersk Air 737 flight from BHX to CPH and also landing at AMS in BAC 1-11 (were those known as 'flying blowlamps' or was that the Tridents?)
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:55 am

The lovely old BA helicopter between Penzance and the Isles of Scilly. Penzance heliport now a Sainsburys.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Polar Route to HKG

The Polar Route to HKG that went LHR-ANC-NRT-HKG in the 80s twice a week I think.

For good measure the aircraft then did HKG-CMB/MRU-JNB before returning to LHR from JNB,

And of course the return routing. Made for a whacky RTW
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:57 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by icegirl
I remember the one on Regent Street!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.