Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forgotten BA services, products & routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by BAflyer2007
I remember sitting in 5E on a Manchester with 9 rows of Club on a 757. Short flight time obviously and bigger leg room but still.
Assuming that by "a Manchester" you mean LHR-MAN I didn't know BA ever had Club on domestic flights until it recently. When did it get dropped?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Singapore with a refuelling stop in Dubai. I was about 15 at the time and my overriding memories were the excellent coffee eclairs on LHR-DXB and having guns continually pointed at us by armed police in the gate at DXB.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: just above cargo
Originally Posted by ratypus
The unaccompanied minor service.. Actually being able to get a gin & tonic in ET.
Definitely a different era if UMs were getting G&Ts
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Ahhhhh, L1011 and those bloody greek urns..

Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Prospero
Does anyone here remember the WT sliding stacked trays of the late nineties/early noughties?
I think that even some BA regulars at the time might have missed those, they lasted so little time!
Originally Posted by BESTEDIFLYER
Menus in economy with travel tips
Menus in economy before the travel tips and advertising started to be included.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by henners
Almost certainly served by a Bae146/RJ100 - the services out of BHX were a mix of 146s and CRJs, but the CDG flights were usually 146s.
Actually you’ll find that BA’s A319s were originally purchased for BHX and operated from there for several years. It’s only in the (later) days of BA Connect that it was downgraded to a 146 base.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:30 pm

Flew BA from Johannesburg to Heathrow in 1976. Seats were much bigger and bathrooms that were a decent size. Bathrooms also had a full stock of Elizabeth Arden toiletries for the ladies to use.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Does anyone here remember the WT sliding stacked trays of the late nineties/early noughties?
Was not everythimg made of blue plastic in this set up?

it was a bit like a lego model with some dishes on a raised platform

I remember flying to Lagos at a time when BA ran a hybrid service with Nigeria Airways in WT and having these trays

Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by allturnleft

Was not everythimg made of blue plastic in this set up?

it was a bit like a lego model with some dishes on a raised platform

I remember flying to Lagos at a time when BA ran a hybrid service with Nigeria Airways in WT and having these trays

Yes, lots of blue transparent plastic. The cups came in a variety of primary colours though.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
I'm a bit hazy on the details but I remember when I was a sixth former at school in Scotland (late 60s) getting the ?student - ?standby - ?student standby between Heathrow and Inverness on the last flight of the day. At £6 it was a lot cheaper than the sleeper and saved a day in each direction.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
There’s none worse than the converted, Princess!

I do recall that those pathetic little armrest ashtrays were rarely emptied, though! One solid mass of butt ends and filters! I’m sure I took one to the Galley once to empty it.

Nosmo King ruled on RAFAIR, unless you could con your way onto the Flight Deck of a C-130, when suddenly life became liveable again ... and a wonderful view too!

*cough*
This reminded me of an interesting trip in the mid 90's from Singapore to Indonesia in my smoking days, when I got chatting to a Singapore Airlines cockpit crew at the smoking area at Changi. Turned out they were flying my aircraft to Jakarta. They invited me to the cockpit for a cigarette break after the meal and asked for my seat number. Did not believe it until I was asked by the cabin crew after the meal to move to the cockpit when I joined the pilots for the rest of the flight, sitting on the jump seat puffing away with them in a smoke filled cockpit using a plastic glass, half filled with water as an ashtray. The views into Soekarno-Hatta just added to the pleasure. Those were the days ...
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Wow some memories.

I really miss miss the SOU base flights to BHX MAN NCL CDG JER. On HS748 , ATP and Dash 8 Aircraft

LGW MAN JFK flights

LGW MAN and NCL lflights

Ticket books

The Landor Livery

£30 MCOs that we’re dished out like confetti for service recovery

The timetable booklets.

£40 Funflyer Fares

Return Airpor taxes and charges to JFK of £7.0

THe BA Travel Shop in Regent Street.

I also remember the BCal adverts... there’s another one I’m sure that’s airport based and has business men going round Gatwick South Terminal on buggy’s.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
The space age modernity and the rocket like climb rate of the Shuttle’s B757 service. The A321 doesn’t come close.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:58 pm

Boiled sweets were more or less universal at one time. Sucking them helped reduce the effect of pressure changes on one's ears.

As well as the printed timetables there was for a short time a similar publication containing fares. I think that was from BEA rather than BOAC.

Liqueurs offered after the meal in both cabins. They became CE only for a time before disappearing completely
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:12 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
(Go to the 3:10 mark)

IIRC the tiered trays quickly went away but the blue dishware survived until 2010 or so albeit on a regular tray. I recall that when the trays were introduced BA introduced a new "ethnic style" of catering to match their new look and passengers complained that the food was too spicy/heavily seasoned etc.

I miss the colorful WT cabins as well with the pink and blue headrest covers and the matching pillows and blankets. The cabin now looks so sterile.

Also amenity kits with socks, eyeshades, and toothbrush used to be provisioned in Y.
Prospero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.