Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

chances of being moved to an earlier flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

chances of being moved to an earlier flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
I have been offered this for free before when travelling from JFK-LHR (without even asking) due to my connecting flight giving me a 5 hours 30 layover. Was quite happy to wait the time out in the CCR though as I had another connection at the other end. Neither flights were full, mine had about 10/14 seats used and the other was about 8. I did see two people with a very loud baby departing the CCR when the earlier flight was called so was quite glad I stuck with the one I booked!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Was going through the T5 First Wing earlier today and this message was showing just outside it:

I have not noticed it before - is this a new sign or is the "we would be happy to make this change for you" PR talk for "we'll charge you an extortionate amount to change it for you"?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Traveller 935
Was going through the T5 First Wing earlier today and this message was showing just outside it:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1bb8c6f11e.jpg

I have not noticed it before - is this a new sign or is the "we would be happy to make this change for you" PR talk for "we'll charge you an extortionate amount to change it for you"?
The big red flash on the screen seems to suggest that today could be a classic example of "there are potential IRROPS today, so we do want to get people away as soon as they arrive".
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:33 am

This GGL/CCR seems to get way more FOC changes (earlier flight times, or destination changes) that some of the folks on here argue that never/unlikely to happen - and this is across cash, Avios, GUFs, corporate, personal, you name it type of tickets

I even offer to pay the change fee, but they politely decline to accept it. Maybe I'm just on a lucky streak.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Traveller 935
The sign is new, yesterday is said (annoyingly for me!) that we were 18 days 11 hours 32 minutes before Christmas, and counting. I think there were robins and things on it too. Goodness only knows what @CCayley would make of that. I think 4 of these screens have gone up along T5, I saw one at B, another E and the third at H, and I wasn't really looking for them.

The policy, however, is not new, and it is perhaps worth highlighting. If there have been proactive cancellations and/or reactive cancellations on any scale, local management in LHR will lift restrictions on flight transfers, even for Basic and Avios ticket holders. If there is space in the cabin they will move you. In the past you (or rather I) would have to guess if this was in operation, but now the screens - if updated correctly - makes it more transparent that this is happening.
DeathSlam and Traveller 935 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC "I'm blue Da ba dee da ba di", Skywards Blue, Miles & More (very passive)
I had one move and one (potential) offer during IRROPS.
The first one was flying GLA-LHR-HAM with some storm in southern England coming up. I was at GLA early enough for them to move me "on the earlier flight to get you down to London". That was the bumpiest flight I ever had.
The second one was a delayed incoming LHR-SFO flight with me booked in CW on the return (the later one on the A380). I received a $25 voucher at check in "because there are only snacks in the lounge" and when I got to the lounge, the lady queried if i was asked at check in if I wanted to get on the earlier flight (777). I declined, had snacks, used the voucher, got on the later flight and had to share the upper deck row with one passenger at the other window seat. The two hours delay in London didn't bother me too much as there was enough time for the show I was going to before flying on to HAM the next day.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just wondering here, has the BA policy always been , no same day change of flight within Europe and international
I know with AA, only flights out of JFk you can do changes and of course AA internal fights (with the US) change away
free or small fee depending on status
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fotographer
Just wondering here, has the BA policy always been , no same day change of flight within Europe and international
I know with AA, only flights out of JFk you can do changes and of course AA internal fights (with the US) change away
free or small fee depending on status
That's not correct, BA has SDC free of charge on Plus and CE fares within Europe. It's just Avios and Basic fares (and more complex tickets) that don't have SDC inside Europe. More details in the main SDC thread.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's not correct, BA has SDC free of charge on Plus and CE fares within Europe. It's just Avios and Basic fares (and more complex tickets) that don't have SDC inside Europe. More details in the main SDC thread.
Thanks for letting me know, did not know that...
so last year I was flying thru LHR and connecting on a BA flight to Rome in club world,
BA agent says no to me leaving on a late morning flight, as to my scheduled flight later in
the afternoon.
Was the agent wrong.. sorry no idea what my fare code was on the flight
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fotographer
Thanks for letting me know, did not know that...
so last year I was flying thru LHR and connecting on a BA flight to Rome in club world,
BA agent says no to me leaving on a late morning flight, as to my scheduled flight later in
the afternoon.
Was the agent wrong.. sorry no idea what my fare code was on the flight
with connecting bookings like that you don’t get SDC on the short haul/domestic flight unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.