Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Open Jaw Avios Redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Open Jaw Avios Redemptions

I have searched around but not found how to do an open jaw Avios redemption to the US. Should I be able to do it online via BA.com or will I have to check availability and then phone? Additionally, can I book the outbound flight and then add a return when the return date becomes available. I dont want to do two singles because of the level of charges incurred by a single flight from the US. Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:23 pm

Yes you need to phone for open jaw (I've certainly not been able to do it online anyway) and yes you can add the return when the date, and hopefully availability, becomes available
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
You can do an open jaw Avios redemption online as long as you are not using an Amex 2-4-1. In that case you need to phone up.

When the return opens you would have to call to add the inbound flight.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:43 pm

I recently redeemed my first 2-for-1 Amex voucher on an open jaw to the US. I checked availability online (for the outbound and inbound seperately), made a note of the itinerary - then rang up to book, in my case on the Silver line.

Very helpful chap at the other end knew exactly what to do and sorted it quickly and efficiently. This included returning to a different UK airport than the origin (INV), for convenience, something I wasn’t sure would be possible on the voucher.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
You can do an open jaw Avios redemption online as long as you are not using an Amex 2-4-1. In that case you need to phone up.

When the return opens you would have to call to add the inbound flight.
That's not correct. There is no function to book an open jaw avios redemption online - you can only do it by calling.

What you're talking about is simply booking a one way and then calling to add a return (open jaw) if it's outside the booking window. That's not doing it online.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Gold
I'm looking to book an open jaw LHR-LAX // JFK-LHR. If availability opens up later on, can I change the return leg to something different such as LAX-LHR or MIA-LHR? Or do I need to cancel the entire ticket and start from scratch?

And do the taxes/charges on open jaws work like a standard round-trip, or are they treated as if they were two separate 1-way tickets?

Alternately, if I have a return avios redemption from the UK to the US and back, can I make it an open jaw -- that is going from LHR-LAX-LHR to LHR-LAX // JFK-LHR?

Last edited by CheVive; Mar 23, 2019 at 10:09 am
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by CheVive
I'm looking to book an open jaw LHR-LAX // JFK-LHR. If availability opens up later on, can I change the return leg to something different such as LAX-LHR or MIA-LHR? Or do I need to cancel the entire ticket and start from scratch?

And do the taxes/charges on open jaws work like a standard round-trip, or are they treated as if they were two separate 1-way tickets?

Alternately, if I have a return avios redemption from the UK to the US and back, can I make it an open jaw -- that is going from LHR-LAX-LHR to LHR-LAX // JFK-LHR?
if you arrange the open jaw as a return by phone (as opposed to two one-ways booked online) the taxes will be “as a round trip”.

You can can change the routing, including turning a straight return into an open jaw, as long as the legs remain in the same bandings. You can swap LAX on one leg to MIA, but not to JFK or vv as that’s a shorter band. If you want to change band you have to cancel and start again.
CheVive likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:21 am

Taxes

I’ve noticed the taxes do seem to be higher when booking an open jaw redemption. For example LHR-HKG-KUL-LHR I get quoted £630 on the phone for taxes however a round to to either HKG or KUL that is bookable online the fees are £580? No idea why and the agent on the phone didn’t know
CheVive likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by pauldb

if you arrange the open jaw as a return by phone (as opposed to two one-ways booked online) the taxes will be “as a round trip”.

You can can change the routing, including turning a straight return into an open jaw, as long as the legs remain in the same bandings. You can swap LAX on one leg to MIA, but not to JFK or vv as that’s a shorter band. If you want to change band you have to cancel and start again.
Thanks - this is very helpful.

As a followup, can a leg be added to a prior booking to turn a one-way into a return? And is it possible to cancel on the second leg of a return booking, or does one have to cancel outright and then book anew?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by Craig2305
I’ve noticed the taxes do seem to be higher when booking an open jaw redemption. For example LHR-HKG-KUL-LHR I get quoted £630 on the phone for taxes however a round to to either HKG or KUL that is bookable online the fees are £580? No idea why and the agent on the phone didn’t know
Taxes exHKG are peanuts so either book as 2 separate tickets, or reverse your itinerary so you fly out of HKG.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by wb1969

Taxes exHKG are peanuts so either book as 2 separate tickets, or reverse your itinerary so you fly out of HKG.

Thanks for the tip but I should have mentioned it was using a 241 voucher so it had to be a return
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Then you’ve got to pay the higher amount, although if you can be bothered with the additional time and few Avios two people can save around £300 between you starting the 241 in JER or INV...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: BA GOLD
I have a question related to the open jaw redemption. I just booked my redemption return flights HKG-LHR a couple of months ago, and now I need to make some changes.
1. Are we allowed to change the route such as outbound HKG- LHR, and inbound JFK-HKG via LHR?
2. I found the tax quoted from BA agent on the phone is different(higher) to what I actually paid online. If my request to change the route JFK-HKG is declined by BA, I will keep the original route. But I like to change to another date for the HKG-LHR segment, I can only do this by calling BA, as I tried to change the date myself online and failed due to a avios+GUF1 booking. Will BA agent recalculate my tax+surcharges based on the previous quoted price?
Many thanks if anyone can give me some advice.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by roy2016
I have a question related to the open jaw redemption. I just booked my redemption return flights HKG-LHR a couple of months ago, and now I need to make some changes.
1. Are we allowed to change the route such as outbound HKG- LHR, and inbound JFK-HKG via LHR?
2. I found the tax quoted from BA agent on the phone is different(higher) to what I actually paid online. If my request to change the route JFK-HKG is declined by BA, I will keep the original route. But I like to change to another date for the HKG-LHR segment, I can only do this by calling BA, as I tried to change the date myself online and failed due to a avios+GUF1 booking. Will BA agent recalculate my tax+surcharges based on the previous quoted price?
Many thanks if anyone can give me some advice.
1. if you have a HKG-LHR-HKG booking do you want to change it to HKG-LHR/JFK-LHR-HKG? you can't do that. the booking can only be changed for the same avios bands.

2. yes when you have a change all taxes/fees/charges for the whole booking are recalculated.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by KARFA
1. if you have a HKG-LHR-HKG booking do you want to change it to HKG-LHR/JFK-LHR-HKG? you can't do that. the booking can only be changed for the same avios bands.

2. yes when you have a change all taxes/fees/charges for the whole booking are recalculated.
Thank you @KARFA!
Regarding the Avios+GUF1 booking, I was not able to change the date via MMB on BA website. I am curious what causes this to happen. As a standard avios booking or even cash booking, I am always allowed change the date either free or pay online. For this particular booking, each time I clicked on change/cancellation tab, I was told to contact BA for the change on my screen. Is this an issue related to BA’s I.T. or it’s always been like this due to Avios+GUF1? Although I didn’t try it on the BA app, and I will give a go now just to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.