Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA-175 LHR-JFK-changed from 747 to 777 (may 19)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA-175 LHR-JFK-changed from 747 to 777 (may 19)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by george77300

If they change the timings of your flight, you should be able to rebook on a later JFK service no problem. Especially if connection is short but any change is normally possible. Just ring up and say the change is a nuisance/inconvinoent and you want a later flight with more connection time. You might get a 747 that way anyway. Always worth a a try. You could try the same because of a equipment swap and ask to change to the later 747 but I don’t believe they have to for just an equipment swap from 777 to 747 as technically the same product and not a “downgrade”.
It’s just a quick trip to Upstate NY to see family then a couple of nights in NYC so I purposely picked a short connection to maximise time and get on the Amtrack to Hudson in good time. Shortish flight and I’m only in WT+ so whilst I’d prefer anything other than the 777 I should survive ^
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by george77300
If they change the timings of your flight, you should be able to rebook on a later JFK service no problem.
Yes, this is a good point. Should there be a timing change then a rebooking would be allowed for free. I suspect with BA on that route timing changes are not very likely but you never know.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Flew on 777-200 ZZZB last week TLV in WT+, 18A

new (recent) seats WT+ and IFE. Despite what some say about these planes it wasn’t too bad to be honest.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:50 pm

Wish they would change my 747 LHR-MIA flight to an a380.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: British Airlines silver member
My flight to JFK in sept also changed from a 747 to a 777. Hopefully no time changes as we fly ams-lhr-jfk-las-mia-lhr-ams. Enough tp's to stay silver for another year :-).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
747 to 777 in late April
BA193 LHR-DFW - Departure changed FROM 1125 TO 1540
Had already booked 62A in Upper Deck J. Now moved myself from the 10A BA chose to 11A - at least I still have a window unlike some rows on 772
I wonder if the threads above referring to the IAH flight change from 777 to 747 give a clue where the DFW one went !!??
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by peterinlewesuk
Had already booked 62A in Upper Deck J. Now moved myself from the 10A BA chose to 11A
Same here!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:43 am

I am booked on BA175 on 7 May 2019 and paid to go UD in 63AB. It's still showing as a 747 on MMB. Is this likely to change and what will happen to the fee I paid to reserve UD seats if we get shifted to a 777? Presumably I will just get to choose seats on the 777 for 'free'?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Im booked on this in Feb, it was always a 772 for this, however in F, i assume should be good
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by grantsteve
I am booked on BA175 on 7 May 2019 and paid to go UD in 63AB. It's still showing as a 747 on MMB. Is this likely to change and what will happen to the fee I paid to reserve UD seats if we get shifted to a 777? Presumably I will just get to choose seats on the 777 for 'free'?
In that case you can request a refund of your seat selection fee. As the B744 UD fee is higher than the 772 seats that's what I'd do and then select and pay for a new seat on the 772.
grantsteve likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I can't give any insight on whether it's likely to change. It seems to have survived the initial sweep of changes (as did my own return flight) but who can say that there won't be more...

Regarding the paid seats, if it does move to a 777 BA should allocate you two 'equivalent' seats which, of course, won't be anything of the sort. However, you are entitled to a full refund if BA move you and importantly this can be applied for after you fly so what I would do if you suffer a swap is:

a) If the seats they auto allocate you are "OK" (and it seems to me there are no particularly great CW seats on many 777 variants) accept the allocation
b) After you fly, apply for a refund on the basis that the moved you and you were not satisfied with the seats (which their T&Cs permit)

You could apply for a refund before you fly, but then you lose your right to choose and would need to purchase new seats, or accept what was left whenever free selection becomes available to you. Or equally, if you don't like they ones the select you will be able to choose others, effectively for free, but in doing so I believe you're giving up the right to a seating refund.
grantsteve likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:00 am

Thanks both, very helpful. Expert Flyer is suggesting BA173 is a 747 and there is still UD availability so I'd be tempted to shift to that if I could be certain that it would stay as a 747, as I am very keen to try UD.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Oh please do tell. Do some business seats not have windows on the 772?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
It's worth keeping an eye on your bookings though, I had a change to a 777 for Jan, and got the seat change email as I was moved from 64k, but then it changed back to a 747 and as the seat stayed the same, no email. I managed to nab 64k again though.
grantsteve and BertieBadger like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Thanks both, very helpful. Expert Flyer is suggesting BA173 is a 747 and there is still UD availability so I'd be tempted to shift to that if I could be certain that it would stay as a 747, as I am very keen to try UD.
Completely understand, it's one of those things you should try! Despite doing a moderate amount of TATL flying these last few years, almost all of my routes are served by 777s and 787s and it was only a couple of months ago I finally got to the UD myself - even on a clapped out mid-J I can see why it's popular!

Ultimately the difficulty is the JFK route is always going to be prone to swaps at any time (or at least it seems that way to me, corrections welcome) because the number of flights on that route means they have lots of flexibility. If you want certainty of a 747, I'd look to other routes that are always served by them, and with fewer or just one flight a day. So e.g. something like YVR in wintertime seems to me that it's always going to be a 747. Or LAS or PHX maybe? (tho expect the old mid-Js). I'm sure the resident experts can come up with plenty more suggestions.
grantsteve likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.