Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"If there is something outside of our usual service that I can do..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"If there is something outside of our usual service that I can do..."

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by frandrake
Apologies for bringing this up again, but I just realised I have a BA flight to SIN next month and I was wondering if, when travelling CW, it would be appropriate to ask for a welcome champagne from F. Too much?
I would not ask for anything personally, partially because as I do not wish to put people in a position where they might need to refuse (e.g. LPGS quantity may be limited and they might need to say no so that they won't run out for F passengers) but also because I do not particularly like to ask unless I am clearly entitled to things* but generally, if you feel inclined to do so, I's say it would be appropriate only if you are indeed invited to ask for something extra by the CSM/CSD or there are extenuating circumstances (e.g. running out of champagne in CW).

*I make an exception for early check-in at hotels where I am a regular
orbitmic and AnaTravel like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 16, 2018 at 4:18 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
For half the people on here, something like "not hide away for 90% of the flight", a second drink" etc. would be defined as "beyond normal service".

I've been given a bottle of water and also offered water /something from the CE bar etc. whilst in Y before with BA. That's it. Two occasions, and the CE bar offer had probably the best BA crew I've seen.
Compare that to 3 times in the lastlweek or so with AA being offered food from the menu.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Had a great flight in F last year and was very well looked after. I was extremely surprised to receive a hand written note from the (relatively) young female cabin crew member just before our descent into LHR. She had written her name and a mobile phone number. I didn't call. Life is complicated enough.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I think that it's a reasonable and nice gesture. Things I would consider OK to request? Extra/upgraded blanket or pillow, extra water, ONE glass of champagne or other wine from J or F (understanding that the answer might well be no), extra dessert, if there are seats available towards the front of the cabin or in J or F and I had a tight connection, I would ask to be seated up front for landing,.... Things like that.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by trueblu
I was recently on HKG-LHR in W. Shortly after take-off, a member of the cabin crew (not the CSD) came up to me and introduced themselves, which happens from time to time presumably because I'm OWE (AA).
Your profile needs updating...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
This does sound like it may have been a subtle double-entendre, in the spirit of playfulness/gentle flirting perhaps
Well one crew member provided a service way beyond the ‘usual’ service to a friend of mine a couple of years ago...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently

Well one crew member provided a service way beyond the ‘usual’ service to a friend of mine a couple of years ago...
I think that was when the motto was 'To Fly to Serve'...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
LOL @ all the wink-wink nudge-nudge...

Seriously though, the one time (in how many scores of flights as gold) that this was offered, I was in Y, and I did say "I'm just trying to get some sleep... is there any chance of a nicer eyeshade and pair of earplugs? I've left mine..." He brought me a First eye shade and pair of earplugs, which I was very grateful for indeed.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm sure we can all recall that before the switch to Union Coffee, the previous brand was pretty dreadful. So in CW I would ask for a Nespresso coffee in this situation, which is available for First customers. However note that CIHY would refuse this request!! So you have to read the cabin crew carefully on that one. I think you'd be OK for a water bottle, a particular drink or perhaps an extra pillow if there were empty seats but to some extent this is an acknowledgement which doesn't necessarily require fulfillment.
I find that very surprising to hear, as asking for an espresso from F is something I do on an almost regular basis in CW - the last time was yesterday! The only times I have been refused (and they have not been many) have been when the machine is out of action or (yes, it did really happen) when they had loaded the wrong capsules for that aircraft's machine (apparently there are two types of machines in use).

The other (curious) thing I have asked for more than once is a new style White Company pillow from CW when in F. I know that some claim they are in F now on all flights, but at least on the LHR-TLV route (which I fly a lot) they are not.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by clubman
Your profile needs updating...
Profile is accurate...I am BAEC Blue (and I post most often on BAEC board)...it just doesn't list all memberships etc.

tb
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
or.... your friend was just having you on about his sexual adventures?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by trueblu
(and I post most often on BAEC board)
In which case, adding the fact that you are OW Emerald to your profile is even more relevant!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
This does sound like it may have been a subtle double-entendre, in the spirit of playfulness/gentle flirting perhaps
I for one am never ashamed to flirt for Champagne!!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by orbitmic

or.... your friend was just having you on about his sexual adventures?
Well certainly not impossible, but knowing this long time friend, I suspect it was most likely true!

I forget whether he provided the cabin crew member with a Golden Ticket!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by bigwalrus
I would ask if they have any of those reverse facing seats available, to combat the fear of facing forwards when flying.
I would love it if you did that and ended up in the jumpseat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.