Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reward saver fares: must have collected an Avios point in the last 12 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Hello,

Quick question regarding the reward saver fares - i.e. reward flights whereby BA pay the taxes and fees and the redeemer pays a low flat fee.

These fares are available providing, under BA's own terminology, one earns an Avios point in the last 12 months, i.e you can book this fare for up to 12 months after earning an Avios point.

Question: does this Avios have to be earned in a certain way, i.e. on a BA or OW-revenue fare, or does anyone know if you Avios point that applies the +12 months can be earned from other more flexible sources? Examples: purchase of Avios (from date of purchase), transfer of Avios from non-OW partners (i.e. Aer Lingus, at date of Avios transfer), redemption of credit card points (HSBC premier card credit point redemption into Avios, at date of points redemption into BA account), etc?

I have a lot of Avios to use but may not travel with OW for work much (if at all) in the coming year, so this is an important point. Otherwise, I would need to explicitly buy a revenue segment to keep the reward fares active, which I would like to avoid.

I believe any of the above would apply, but just wanted to check among those who know?

Thanks very much in advance.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:25 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
It's pretty simple, "just make sure you have collected at least one Avios in the past 12 months". Given that there are no flights that would earn just 1 Avios it seems fairly safe to say the earning method is irrelevant. Just make sure you have earned in some way and the point(s) have been credited to your account over the preceding 12 months.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, vhdg87!
Originally Posted by vhdg87
I believe any of the above would apply, but just wanted to check among those who know?
Off the top of my head, I think that almost all of the methods of acquiring Avios will count for RFS eligibility. The one that I have some doubts about is transfers from other airlines which also use Avios as their frequent flyer currency (eg Iberia).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
It's pretty simple, "just make sure you have collected at least one Avios in the past 12 months". Given that there are no flights that would earn just 1 Avios it seems fairly safe to say the earning method is irrelevant. Just make sure you have earned in some way and the point(s) have been credited to your account over the preceding 12 months.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to Flyertalk!
Thanks. I ask because I may not make any revenue-fare bookings with OW in the next year anymore, so would be relying on creating Avios via redemption of HSBC credit card points into the BA account as qualifying as having "collected" Avios in the context of keeping the reward saver fare active.

For work generally I am using a different alliance now.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I would also believe that a transfer (from avios.com) doesn't count, but the rest are fine. If the credit card didn't work, it sounds like you have plenty of time to, for example, make a purchase through the estore.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
The last time I've earnt Avios by flying was in September 2017, but I've had plenty credited via the estore since then and I've had no problems booking RFS
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Yes transfer points from Tesco, Amex, Iberia, a hotel stay etc - all of these are common options. If you lapse past the 12month period, do one of these things and the RFS rates will reappear.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And I need to also welcome you vhdg87, welcome to the BA forum and welcome to Flyertalk. I hope that we will see more of you. Don't overlook the BA e-shop too, one of the easiest (but apparently not quick) ways to get a few Avios.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by vhdg87
Thanks. I ask because I may not make any revenue-fare bookings with OW in the next year anymore, so would be relying on creating Avios via redemption of HSBC credit card points into the BA account as qualifying as having "collected" Avios in the context of keeping the reward saver fare active.

For work generally I am using a different alliance now.
A couple of years ago, I was able to reset my RFS clock by earning some Avios by taking a Rewards for Thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.