BA Holidays - Upgrade?

Old Dec 5, 18, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, BA Newly Silver :-(, Etihad, Accor Gold
BA Holidays - Upgrade?

We are looking to book a trip to Lanzarote at the end of January.

I am keen to get the 180 tier points on offer for CE however it rather inflates the cost of the holiday.

Would it be cheaper to upgrade later after the holiday is booked?

The other risky option is booking ET and upgrading just my seat and trying to explain to Mrs RR that it's purely a strategic decision to keep us in the car fort of our Silver membership for another year....
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:22 am
2018 Secret Santa

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Can't really answer you if you don't tell us how much ET/CE would cost when you book now.
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
BA Holidays are treated differently when it comes to upgrades, afaik you won't be offered a POUG.

What is the current price difference between Y and J?
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Apologies for the missing data. The picture will explain.

Obviously it will be cheaper overall if I upgrade one seat later so I am thinking as a pair.

The other option is I book it at CE and charge Mrs RR the ET price but if I can reduce this amount I subsidise all the better
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Strangely enough their upgrade number in the photo doesn't align to the numbers if you tick CE
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:34 am
Original Poster

E.g. A trip starting on Friday 22nd is £527 in ET, add the £326 quoted to upgrade is £853. Yet if you book it straight it is £760
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
You have the 9th Feb selected in the first screenshot. Difference on that day does seem to be £326.
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
You have one other potential option which is to book the Euro Traveller price and upgrade later. BA Holidays tends to price upgrades at the cheapest of the difference in price on the day you booked or the difference in price on the day you are requesting the upgrade; and without a change fee either way. The former doesnít help you. The latter could if the cost of this holiday drops between now and your date of travel, (because for example it was included in any Christmas/New Year sale). Whether that happens or not though is crystal ball gazing.

This policy doesnít seem to be written down anywhere but it has been my personal experience and that of some other on here, but YMMV.
no2blues likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcylocal View Post
You have the 9th Feb selected in the first screenshot. Difference on that day does seem to be £326.
Ah good spot, I assumed the number was fixed but as you say it is not. It changes to £233 upgrade which does add up ta
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:09 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RockyRobin View Post
I am keen to get the 180 tier points on offer for CE however it rather inflates the cost of the holiday.
No matter how keen you are you won't get 180 TPs. You will get 160 with a CE return on this route.
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms View Post
No matter how keen you are you won't get 180 TPs. You will get 160 with a CE return on this route.
Yes sorry 160, man flu...
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Sealink View Post
BA Holidays are treated differently when it comes to upgrades, afaik you won't be offered a POUG.

What is the current price difference between Y and J?
I think we were offered a POUG, or what looked like a POUG, when booking a BA Holiday (flight + car) to USA. I took it too... upgrade from CW to F for just a few hundred pounds LHR-ORD... can't remember the exact amount but it was a complete no-brainer when it popped up.

I know BA use POUGs to entice regular travellers to consider the higher cabin in future but for us it rather back-fired because that was our first F experience and we firmly decided that F did not justify the higher cost. Yes, it is better, of course, but not THAT much better so we decided not to ever book F unless another no-brainer POUG comes along (which is not likely I suppose).
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, TK Elite
With a POUG, both passengers on a single booking must be upgraded not just one (unless the booking is split, but splitting the booking - if itís even possible to split a BA holidays booking - will probably see the POUG vanish). So this may not help.

Itís also not possible to book one passenger in ET and the other in CE on the same booking at the outset.

One possible option is an AUP on the day of the flight, although availability and price canít be guaranteed. AFAIK this is possible for just one passenger on the booking.
Old Yesterday, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

I went ahead and just booked business from the off.

what is interesting is now that I have dropped to Silver I am finding that the front row is blocked by the airport is happening to me when it hasn't happened when I was Gold.

Coincidental? Down to aircraft type?
Old Yesterday, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Only Gold can select row 1 on short haul earlier than T-72hrs. Inside that, Silver can too.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: