Wiki Posts
Search

Mauritius - One Way January? Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Mauritius - One Way January? Avios?

Hi,

I currently have 6 x one-way club world seats: LGW to Mauritus leaving on the 30th December. I had booked them a while back using Avios - Ever since I have been on the lookout for a return flight (at least for some of them) on the 11th of January (or thereabouts).

Time is running out, so I'm thinking of purchasing the return flights - what will the cheapest way of doing this be? They look very expensive one way - so perhaps I could add in an economy flight for late 2019? Is there any route via a travel agent to buy one-way club world tickets at a reasonable price? Or perhaps another airline or route? I also have 2x interconnecting rooms at the Westin Turtle booked (with confirmed upgrades) - also completely on points - so I am really motivated to make this trip work!!!!

How long should I leave the Avios redemption finder running until I bite the bullet and buy them? Do BA release 28 / 30 days before etc?

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Apparently there are currently 6-economy seats available on 15th Jan but nothing before

You could always try MRU-JNB on Comair, then one on the BA flights from JNB, but you might need to split the group of 6 going that way
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
best start hitting e.g. google flights and start looking at some alternatives but you won't find a one way CW / business class ticket for a reasonable price
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You can get a business to LGW with a throwaway return leg for around Ł2k per person

Ł12k sounds rather steep to me though !!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
best start hitting e.g. google flights and start looking at some alternatives but you won't find a one way CW / business class ticket for a reasonable price
A good election of airlines from Mauritius. But your party will not be the only ones trying to get to Eu in the 2nd week of Jan (11 Jan is a Friday)
Link MRU---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Se...tional_Airport
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I’m astounded you were able to get 6 CW seats to MRU, esp that time of year, the chances of 6 opening up on the way back, especially now I suspect are very close to zero (although I would’ve said that about the outbound too, even months ago!)

Not what you want to hear I’m sure, but I would start to look at cheap return options and get the Avios and fees back. I’m pretty sure you’ll end up paying little more than one way prices, esp if you’re alliance agnostic
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you all.

I did look at rebooking a round trip - but the 30th of December was very expensive and the whole thing came in at 26k!!! I had also managed to use several Amex vouchers on the existing booking and I'm also definitely not ever going to be short on Avios - So I think the best suggestion is the Ł12k with some economy tickets on the R leg. However, when I do a dummy booking for 6 seats (2 adults + 4 children) - it comes in at 20% more expensive than one to three tickets quote - I have gone as far as simultaneously making 2 [split] bookings [x3 tickets] using my own and my wife's account. - I can right up to the payment page at the cheaper price on both (at the same time) - am I safe to do this - ie will the first one going through will prevent the second ticket order completing?

I was also thinking of waiting to past minus 30 days - to see if anything is released on Avios (not sure if it works this way? or if it may put the price up on the tickets?)

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:55 am

I don't think you can count on getting two bookings at the lower rate. If there are fewer than 6 seats at the lower fare bucket then once your first booking hits I'd expect the other one to price at the higher level. That said, you'd only be paying for three tickets at the higher fare rather than all six.

Do you have the option to hold the fare for a small (refundable) fee? That might be a way of locking in the prices.

As for the 30 days - try replicating the booking on ITA Matrix and checking the fare rules to see what the advance purchase requirement is.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gwright77
So I think the best suggestion is the Ł12k with some economy tickets on the R leg. However, when I do a dummy booking for 6 seats (2 adults + 4 children) - it comes in at 20% more expensive than one to three tickets quote - I have gone as far as simultaneously making 2 [split] bookings [x3 tickets] using my own and my wife's account. - I can right up to the payment page at the cheaper price on both (at the same time) - am I safe to do this - ie will the first one going through will prevent the second ticket order completing?
This is very difficult to resolve since what you are seeing here is different fare buckets with limited availability going, R seems to be R3, hence you go up a bucket with 4 or more. It's possible that if you book 3 it will become R0 or it may recalculate at R2 or whatever. You do have the 24 hour cancel policy, and there may be the 72 hour hold option, but it's a gamble whatever you do. You could try calling up since this is a high value booking and seeing if you can get a Contact Centre agent to hold the booking and see if a recalculation works your way.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is very difficult to resolve since what you are seeing here is different fare buckets with limited availability going, R seems to be R3, hence you go up a bucket with 4 or more. It's possible that if you book 3 it will become R0 or it may recalculate at R2 or whatever. You do have the 24 hour cancel policy, and there may be the 72 hour hold option, but it's a gamble whatever you do. You could try calling up since this is a high value booking and seeing if you can get a Contact Centre agent to hold the booking and see if a recalculation works your way.
Thanks for that suggestion - quick question whilst I have your expertise here: Can I book using part Avios - to bring the Ł price down - but still have access to the 24-hour cancellation?

Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
What about revenue fare to SA and Avios from there? JNB and CPT have direct flights to MRU (not sure about DUR), but it's peak season, so unlikely there'll be much Avios availability, revenue fares might be better priced out of JNB though for a oneway.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
JNB and CPT have direct flights to MRU (not sure about DUR) ...
Yes, MK operates MRU-DUR.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by gwright77
Thank you all.

I did look at rebooking a round trip - but the 30th of December was very expensive and the whole thing came in at 26k!!! I had also managed to use several Amex vouchers on the existing booking and I'm also definitely not ever going to be short on Avios - So I think the best suggestion is the Ł12k with some economy tickets on the R leg. However, when I do a dummy booking for 6 seats (2 adults + 4 children) - it comes in at 20% more expensive than one to three tickets quote - I have gone as far as simultaneously making 2 [split] bookings [x3 tickets] using my own and my wife's account. - I can right up to the payment page at the cheaper price on both (at the same time) - am I safe to do this - ie will the first one going through will prevent the second ticket order completing?

I was also thinking of waiting to past minus 30 days - to see if anything is released on Avios (not sure if it works this way? or if it may put the price up on the tickets?)

Thanks,

Graham.
Have you looked at booking a package with the hotel included too?

May be a little late now but suspect you could get 4 seats and the accomodation (or maybe even better accommodation for sub 12k)

What are returns in economy pricing up as. Ultimately I think the fam would be more than happy if you spent an extra grand on each of them over Xmas to make up for it!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Maybe you've already dismissed it, but there are Saudia flights on the 10th for €1200. You'd have to check there isn't a visa requirement for JED, and sure it might not be the best J, but I'd still be tempted.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Presumably the OP isn't Gold. Otherwise you have the double Avios priority reward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.